The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Alzheimer's - Early News about Treatment in Mice - For Jacobus Options
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 8:06:54 AM

Neurons: 36,173
Toronto Star has a blurb about promising news for Alzheimer's. We just have to hang in for a few years as human trials will not take place for 2-5 years.

http://t.thestar.com/#/article/life/health_wellness/2015/03/23/scientists-use-ultrasounds-to-help-reverse-alzheimers-symptoms-in-mice.html?referrer=https:%2F%2Fwww.google.ca%2F

However, it is the first good news I have seen about treatment for this awful disease. I have watched both an aunt an uncle die of this.

And it is drug free. They are using ultrasound to break up the plaques and are working now on larger brains to make sure it is safe.

Let's hope it works out!

(I posted this for Jacobus.) Not sure why the code thingy is not working as it used to do.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:32:04 PM

Neurons: 311,349
Many thanks, Hope123. My sister-in-law takes the Toronto Star and will have read this article. A great encouragement for her.
Very kind of you to think of me, Hope, and so good to hear from you again.

A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.
will
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:14:49 AM

Neurons: 3,943
I don't normally come down this far, but this title caught my eye...

The company I work for has Alzheimer's disease as part of our active research, although not the method mentioned here.

Unfortunately the exact cause of Alzheimer's is still not known, it's possibly a combination of causes including the amyloid plaques mentioned. This technique, if it gets through later phase trails – there is still a long way to go – will still be a treatment rather than cure.

The good news is that Alzheimer's research is a vibrant and competitive area. I would hope to see many advances in the near future.

Best wishes to your sister Jacob... and indeed anyone else affected by this cruel condition.
Elvandil
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 5:44:36 AM

Neurons: 118,273
The fact that these amyloid plaques have not been found in 20-year-olds certainly complicates the issue. But I have always wondered what the long-term consequences of artificial lighting might be. Since amyloid is usually washed away during sleep (the purpose of sleep being the draining of wastes from the day's functions - the neurons shrink around 60% and the cerebrospinal fluid washes the brain into the lymph drainage since there is no other lymph drainage for the brain, and it takes amyloid with it). This may possibly signal a disruption of sleep, and since adolescents in our society are known to get too little sleep, this adds some fuel to that fire. Artificial lighting has disrupted many of our biologic rhythms.

(議思不の界世) pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 11:12:57 AM

Will I am glad to hear that your company and others are doing research on this dreaded disorder. I know many people who are personally interested in this. There have been several threads here on the Forum.

Have they done any research as to the possibility of toxic metals being a contributing factor? Since I have had treatments to remove high levels from my body and brain, that is a concern to me. My mother's sister just died of Alzheimer's last fall.

Elvandil, disruption of sleep and biological rhythms because of sound and light can affect every system in our bodies so it very well could be a factor here. Not only adolescents get too little sleep. Witht he demands nowadays by employers, working adults often get too little sleep too. That alone can cause/contribute to obesity.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 2:56:23 PM

I had no idea dementia is so pervasive world wide until I read this this morning. Nor had I considered the cost.

"...the plight of 47 million people worldwide who struggle to cope with the debilitating effect of dementia, a disorder that is expected to double in prevalence over the next two decades, and that comes with an estimated health bill worldwide in excess of US$600 billion."

Quote is from "The Lancet", a medical journal with offices in London, NY, and Beijing.

will
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 11:01:57 AM

Hence why it's such a vibrant research area. I'm not a great fan of market forces, but without the prospect of substantial future revenues, much essential research just wouldn't get done.

Hope123 wrote:
Have they done any research as to the possibility of toxic metals being a contributing factor?

Such things have certainly been looked at. Of course toxic metals are generally... toxic, but I'm not aware of any study that shows any significance in Alzheimer's. As I say, the exact cause of Alzheimer's is still not known.
The most significant factors are age and genes, which you can't do much about. At the risk of sounding flippant, the best thing you can do in the meantime is enjoy a happy and healthy life for as long as fate allows. :-)
Hope123
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 3:05:30 PM

Will, I am not really thinking I might get dementia, just interested in what is happening in research. (Too many other complications from toxic metal poisoning to occupy my concerns.)

And having all the good lifestyle habits that contribute to preventing other medical hazards seems to be the way to go to prevent dementia too. Physical exercise, omega 3, vitamin D, clean air food and water, sleep etc.

will
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:00:47 AM

My Mother's memory deteriorated very quickly, and she would joke that the one good thing about dementia is that you can't remember you have it. There was some comfort in this quip... and some irony, in the fact that she couldn't remember she said about every half hour. d'oh!
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 8:32:41 AM

Will. So sorry about your Mom. I have often wondered if not remembering about your condition really did help or made it worse. Hope to not find out. lol.

It is really hard on those around them too to realize what is happenening plus having to repeat knowing the same question will be asked again in fifteen minutes.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 5:35:27 PM

Recent TED Talk for anyone interested. Drugs are helping worms but human advocates are needed to spur on research. We spend our research money on HIV, cancer, and heart disease but there are 40 million people with Alzheimers world wide, I think he said, who cannot advocate for themselves and need help.

http://youtu.be/Cq-_kdTPzn8

"Alzheimer's is not aging and we can cure it".

pljames
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 6:22:28 PM

Neurons: 15,207
My friends I have Alzheimer's and I hate it, my wife has lymph former and kidney problems, we are both suffering and asking why? What have we done to deserve this? Doctors have destroyed my wife's feet and she is having dialysis, she is beside herself as I am. Is God mad at us? What sin have we commited? And those who have Alzheimer's die shortly after getting the disease.

They have a genius pill I have heard that works wonders. Question, would it work for me with Alzheimer's? Today I am seventy three. And thinking about the future for her and I isn't good. Paul
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 8:04:35 PM

Paul, I stopped asking, 'Why me?' a long time ago and instead ask, 'Why not me?' Since there is no answer to either question it is senseless to ask them. It is the same as saying, 'If only' which is senseless too. One just has to play the cards one is dealt and deal with them as best one can. It is not punishment - if it were we'd all have Alzheimer's.

There is no genius pill that I have heard of. If you find it let us all know! But I don't know what the latest research has found.

Did you read the rest of the thread where it says the best thing you can do is physical exercise - even ten minutes a day of walking helps. I realize you have to go alone. People with Alzheimer's can live quite a while. Eat good fats.

So sorry for you and your wife.

Priscilla86
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:43:34 PM

Neurons: 3,765
Hope123 wrote:
Paul, I stopped asking, 'Why me?' a long time ago and instead ask, 'Why not me?' Since there is no answer to either question it is senseless to ask them. It is the same as saying, 'If only' which is senseless too. One just has to play the cards one is dealt and deal with them as best one can.

Hi, Hope!

Those are some wise words to go by. I love reading posts like this. I have been dealing with melancholy and crippling depression and I have to constantly remind myself that I am not that special in my suffering and the perceived injustice I experience. It is really good to stop looking at your life from a bird's eye view (as if you're looking at the past, present, and future concurrently) and just come down to the ground and deal with things that are right in front of you and keep moving forward (the so-called 'be in the moment' attitude).

Keep imparting your wisdom to us!
Hope123
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2016 11:34:48 PM

I saw a program today about Alzheimer's. Maria Shriver from California spoke. She is working very hard to get the word out about Alzheimer's and how important it is to get an early diagnosis and to delay it. Her father had it. Two thirds of people with Alzheimer's are women. She has a website mariashriver.com

- strenuous exercise is the most important thing you can do. It gets the blood flowing to the brain.
- The Sage test taken annually to see if there are changes.
- There is a pill but they didn't give much info about it
- Turmeric

A recipe with turmeric - I am going to try it tomorrow morning.

a cup of coffee, add coconut or MCT oil, turmeric, black pepper

MCT is medium chain triglyceride oil

boneyfriend
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 5:01:04 AM

Neurons: 10,526
Hope, let us know how that cup of coffee was.

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. Ben Williams
progpen
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:44:26 PM

Neurons: 153,311
Our family has dealt with Alzheimers in different ways on different sides of the family. I've seen it swept under the rug and not talked about and I've seen it out in the open with the family members talking and cooperating. Three guesses which method works best.

It is something that tests the strength of a family.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 3:55:19 AM

Neurons: 311,349
boneyfriend wrote:
Hope, let us know how that cup of coffee was.

Ditto, Hope.

A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 12:43:05 PM

It was better than I thought. Maybe for my second cup after the one with half and half.

I already use organic coconut oil (and olive oil) for cooking and baking, eat black pepper, and take a Turmeric supplement, so it is not critical fior me to have this coffee all the time. But it's probably better and has fewer calories than the cream.

I had no amounts listed for ingredients in the recipe so just winged it. Turmeric is strong so I put in about 1/8 tsp, shook a few grains of pepper in, and added 1 tsp of coconut oil. My fairly large mug of coffee was 2/3 full. It does take a fair amount of turmeric to help with inflammation in the joints which is why I started to take it, and apparently it's inflammation in the brain that is part of the problem with Alzheimer's. A supplement has much more turmeric in it, but don't take that as a recommendation from me.

Physical activity to get the blood moving around in the brain is still the best preventive. As well as continuing the free weight exercises I've been doing for years, I am now swimming laps twice a week at a fitness club that I joined a month ago - just down the street. Apparently the pill they talked about on that show is a preventive one, not treatment, but I'm not sure that's what was said.

Progpen, sorry you too have had to deal with this in your families. They do say that early diagnosis helps, so talking about it is the way to go as you suggest.

johnybravo245
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 1:42:15 PM

Neurons: 10
will wrote:
Hence why it's such a vibrant research area. I'm not a great fan of market forces, but without the prospect of substantial future revenues, much essential research just wouldn't get done.

Hope123 wrote:
Have they done any research as to the possibility of toxic metals being a contributing factor?

Such things have certainly been looked at. Of course toxic metals are generally... toxic, but I'm not aware of any study that shows any significance in Alzheimer's. As I say, the exact cause of Alzheimer's is still not known.
The most significant factors are age and genes, which you can't do much about. At the risk of sounding flippant, the best thing you can do in the meantime is enjoy a happy and healthy life for as long as fate allows. :-)
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 4:17:19 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20847438

Mercury does seem to be implicated. (Darn)

But for most people it is copper and iron that they are looking at with no conclusions yet.

I bought some high dose turmeric caps - not going to give up cream in my coffee. :D

tootsie
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 10:28:53 AM

Neurons: 23,730

Only as a suggestion, look up "Golden Paste" - very interesting reading and I find it helps some of my symptoms. Have also done a curcumin protocol, 8 wks course. Try anything me.

Love to everyone.

Toots xx

I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost. Winnie-the-Pooh
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 11:49:49 AM

Neurons: 63,548
Thanks Hope for sharing a valuable information.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
bocrangsuthammy
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 8:52:43 AM

Neurons: 33
Terrible thank you for sharing. I can not believe it's true