The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Cesar Chavez Options
SunDevil
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:35:38 AM

Neurons: 262
Barack Obama calls for National Holiday for Cesar E. Chavez. It is time we recognize this Mexican American farm worker, labor leader, and civil rights activist.
drew34
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:34:08 AM

Neurons: 230
Your kidding me, right?Shame on you
TL Hobs
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 12:05:42 PM

Neurons: 5,591
drew34 wrote:
Your kidding me, right?Shame on you

Why not? You got something against Mexicans, too?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 12:22:34 PM

Neurons: 544,161
According to TFD article his birthday, March 31st, is already a holiday in some states.
RuthP
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 1:00:02 PM

Neurons: 87,603
Obviously, this relates to the United States.

I favor celebrating Cesar Chavez. He is one of my heroes. I was doing agricultural work in the '70s, when he was busy with the Farm Worker's Union, mostly in California, but also in Oregon, where I lived.

I am, however, concerned about the proliferation of holidays, the ever-increasing number of which seems to devalue each. I propose we should have a President's day (which we have) and a Statesman's day, each of which is to celebrate any of the many important Presidents and Statesmen of our country.

I would like to see emphasis given, at the National level, to one person each year. States, counties, municipalities, and certainly private organizations would be able to celebrate any or all people in that group.
drew34
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:01:02 PM

Neurons: 230
I'm done with this website.

FUCK YOU!
Geeman
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:59:44 PM

Neurons: 125,022
drew34 wrote:
I'm done with this website.

Oh, well. I guess that's it. Another one off to Costa Rica. At least you're making your exit with grace and charm.

I hope Drew will at least be able to support a holiday for C. Chavez. After all, all it'll take is an imaginary friendship with an Hispanic TV star when Rae'ven is busy....
York
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:36:54 PM

Neurons: 3,845
Drew 34, you wrote, "Your kidding me, right?" To be grammatically correct, you should write, "you're." You're is a contraction of you are. Your indicates possession--as if kidding could be owned by TL Hobbs.

I agree with Ruth that the overabundance of national holidays diminishes their impact. I was a mere child (!) in Southern California when Mr. Chavez did his noble deeds and followed them with great, grape-free interest.

Is Cesar Chavez in the history books? Is trade unionism in the history books? How about the Pinkerton men? I honestly don't know if teaching is more balanced now than when I was a kid.
Raparee
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:48:06 PM

Neurons: 18,102
I love how people get all in a tizzy when other posters don't automatically agree with them and then leave with a huff chasing them. *shrugs* It's a message board...there are going to be different opinions here.

While I agree that Chavez should be noted for his efforts, I also agree that we seem to have many holidays and some companies adhere to them and others don't. It's somewhat chaotic in that respect. Not to mention, I've been curious why there are several religious days but not other denomination religious days. While I'm all for a day off if I can get it (cause lords know we don't get enough vacation time!), what about the other religions?

Still, this holiday wouldn't be well known enough by anyone to cause much of a difference, so how much of an honor would it be? I don't know that it was taught when I was in school and given how much has changed and continuing to change (Did you read about the proposed revamps in Texas, I think it was? Mind-boggling.), I'm not sure if any of the younger generation will know why it even exists, though perhaps it is to do just that.
Geeman
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:06:15 PM

Neurons: 125,022
I'm fine with a C. Chavez day, though I think it might be a bit confused with Labor Day, since that is basically the same idea, isn't it?

Regardless of any confusion, I'd still be in favor of the holiday. In fact, we need a few dozen more in order to get a permanent three-day-weekend thing going on. That's the goal.

The Texas Schoolboard thing looks pretty bad, though I think it's one of those "liberal media" issues to a certain extent. They do have more of an influence than they should on the textbooks used in America in general, but I think that influence is being over-stated by a lot of media talking heads. In reality, every state has these committees set up to pick a textbook, and though Texas does it's round early and is a big state, I seriously doubt that they would be more of an influence on textbooks available to schools than, say, New York or California (both known for more liberal attitudes towards education.) So there's still a variety available for school boards to pick from. If I were a parent in Texas I'd be concerned, but as a national issue I think it's being hyped up more than a little.
Raparee
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:45:25 PM

Neurons: 18,102
I'm good with permanent three-day weekends!

And I only know a scant bit about the Texas overhaul, but there were notions of removing Thomas Jefferson from the history books. How does that even BEGIN to work? So yes, I was a bit concerned. ;)
Galad
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 8:05:09 PM

Neurons: 10,532

Now, in the future, when I celebrate Chavez day, it'll always remind me of the day drew34 finally left!

Hi Five Everyone!
twinsonic
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:48:34 AM

Neurons: 1,322
SunDevil wrote:
Barack Obama calls for National Holiday for Cesar E. Chavez. It is time we recognize this Mexican American farm worker, labor leader, and civil rights activist.

It already is a holiday in California, on March 31. Schools aren't closed, but some government offices are. I understand it is a holiday in Texas too. I read it is optional in Arizona and Colorado. I am not sure what an "optional" holiday means. Either it is, or it isn't!
TheMan
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2010 4:09:04 PM

Neurons: 18
Even though his ideology has been branded as negative by the neo-cons up til now, I believe that Karl Marx's birthday should be a holiday. He was a man of the people, and now that we're finally considering his philosophies seriously as a road map to better government, its time for us to give him his due credit. The people are finally going to take back what has rightfully been theirs. So why not give credit where credit is due?
May 5.
Let's make it happen.
oxymoron
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:35:40 AM

Neurons: 845
[quote=Galad]
Now, in the future, when I celebrate Chavez day, it'll always remind me of the day drew34 finally left!

Hi Five Everyone![/quote

Ditto:d'oh! Wonder if Liz's government will allow us to have this day off too.Applause Bye Drew, such a beast of a man, bet he's polishing his weapon of mass destruction as we type.Pray