The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Jack Kerouac Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,877
Jack Kerouac

Considered the father of the Beat movement, Jack Kerouac was an American novelist whose semiautobiographical, "spontaneous prose" reflects a frenetic, restless pursuit of new sensation and experience and a disdain for the conventional measures of economic and social success. His best known works are The Subterraneans, The Dharma Bums, and On the Road, which is widely considered the testament of the Beat Generation. Why was Kerouac arrested in connection with a 1944 murder? More...
LucOneOff
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 4:09:41 AM

Neurons: 696,826
In 1944, Kerouac was arrested as a material witness in the murder of David Kammerer, who had been stalking Kerouac's friend Lucien Carr since Carr was a teenager in St. Louis. According to Carr, Kammerer's obsession with him turned aggressive, causing Carr to stab him to death in self-defense.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 4:50:53 AM

Neurons: 2,589,153
Quote:
Regarding On the Road, he wrote in a letter to Ginsberg, "I can tell you now as I look back on the flood of language. It is like Ulysses and should be treated with the same gravity."[70]

How pretentious! Liar
Having read both, I strongly disagree!

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
mudbudda669
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:06:51 AM

Neurons: 344,142
He started it all !
striker
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:25:24 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
fascinating figure
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 12:54:21 PM

Neurons: 5,664,744
"I got the idea for the spontaneous style of On the Road from seeing how good old Neal Cassady wrote his letters to me, all first person, fast, mad, confessional, completely serious, all detailed, with real names in his case, however (being letters). I remembered also Goethe’s admonition, well Goethe’s prophecy that the future literature of the West would be confessional in nature; also Dostoyevsky prophesied as much and might have started in on that if he’d lived long enough to do his projected masterwork, The Life of a Great Sinner. Cassady also began his early youthful writing with attempts at slow, painstaking, and all-that-crap craft business, but got sick of it like I did, seeing it wasn’t getting out his guts and heart the way it felt coming out. But I got the flash from his style. It’s a cruel lie for those West Coast punks to say that I got the idea of On the Road from him. All his letters to me were about his younger days before I met him, a child with his father, et cetera, and about his later teenage experiences. The letter he sent me is erroneously reported to be a thirteen-thousand-word letter ... no, the thirteen-thousand-word piece was his novel The First Third, which he kept in his possession. The letter, the main letter I mean, was forty thousand words long, mind you, a whole short novel. It was the greatest piece of writing I ever saw, better’n anybody in America, or at least enough to make Melville, Twain, Dreiser, Wolfe, I dunno who, spin in their graves. Allen Ginsberg asked me to lend him this vast letter so he could read it. He read it, then loaned it to a guy called Gerd Stern who lived on a houseboat in Sausalito, California, in 1955, and this fellow lost the letter: overboard I presume. Neal and I called it, for convenience, the Joan Anderson Letter ... all about a Christmas weekend in the pool halls, hotel rooms and jails of Denver, with hilarious events throughout and tragic too, even a drawing of a window, with measurements to make the reader understand, all that. Now listen: this letter would have been printed under Neal’s copyright, if we could find it, but as you know, it was my property as a letter to me, so Allen shouldn’t have been so careless with it, nor the guy on the houseboat. If we can unearth this entire forty-thousand-word letter Neal shall be justified. We also did so much fast talking between the two of us, on tape recorders, way back in 1952, and listened to them so much, we both got the secret of LINGO in telling a tale and figured that was the only way to express the speed and tension and ecstatic tomfoolery of the age ... Is that enough?"

Jack Kerouac, The Art of Fiction No. 41
Interviewed by Ted Berrigan

http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/4260/the-art-of-fiction-no-41-jack-kerouac
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 4:25:45 PM

Neurons: 150,619
Jack Kerouac
Considered the father of the Beat movement, Jack Kerouac was an American novelist whose semiautobiographical, "spontaneous prose" reflects a frenetic, restless pursuit of new sensation and experience and a disdain for the conventional measures of economic and social success. His best known works are The Subterraneans, The Dharma Bums, and On the Road, which is widely considered the testament of the Beat Generation. Why was Kerouac arrested in connection with a 1944 murder? More...

I do not believe for one second that Jack Kerouac was a psychiatric case. He was simply not crazy to allow himself to serve the military.
My maternal grandfather was a truly great man. He refused to join any army! My grandpa lives through me now...
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 8:41:42 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Very interesting read, thanks.....
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 8:41:43 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Very interesting read, thanks.....
Alisson Souza
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:11:15 PM

Neurons: 267,293
Jack Kerouac in his passage on the Earth marked all of that is in experience in the real world, of life, of excessive joy and with a little tickle..."On the Road".