The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Science fiction stories - a list of 32 great stories Options
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 2:28:37 AM

Neurons: 34,900
I've just found it in Listology - an astonishing portal.

http://www.listology.com/severian/list/greatest-science-fiction-short-stories

I know only some of these stories. It would be fine to have a short booknote on each
story (not more than ten lines). If I have time I'll try to make up some notes on
these stories.

Some of the titles are short novels, eg Flowers for Algernon. The best thing is to give
the number of pages to get an idea about the length of the texts.
J-P
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 3:16:05 AM

Neurons: 945,512
"Flowers for Algernon" was written and publishesd as a short story, it was then expanded into a novel. I have read both, the short story is much better.

There is a GREAT SF story missing from that list : "Born of Man and Woman", by Richard Matheson.
J-P
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 3:38:02 AM

Born of Man anf Woman was published in 1950. It was Matheson's first story. Here it is:

Born of Man and Woman
by RICHARD MATHESON

X—— This day when it had light mother called me a retch. You retch she said. I saw in her eyes the anger. I wonder what it is a retch.
This day it had water falling from upstairs. It fell all around. I saw that. The ground of the back I watched from the little window. The ground it sucked up the water like thirsty lips. It drank too much and it got sick and runny brown. I didn’t like it.
Mother is a pretty I know. In my bed place with cold walls around I have a paper things that was behind the furnace. It says on it SCREENSTARS. I see in the pictures faces like of mother and father. Father says they are pretty. Once he said it.
And also mother he said. Mother so pretty and me decent enough. Look at you he said and didn’t have the nice face. I touched his arm and said it is alright father. He shook and pulled away where I couldn’t reach.
Today mother let me off the chain a little so I could look out the little window. That’s how I saw the water falling from upstairs.

XX—— This day it had goldness in the upstairs. As I know, when I looked at it my eyes hurt. After I look at it the cellar is red.
I think this was church. They leave the upstairs. The big machine swallows them and rolls out past and is gone. In the back part is the little mother. She is much small than me. I am big. It is a secret but I have pulled the chain out of the wall. I can see out the little window all I like.
In this day when it got dark I had eat my food and some bugs. I hear laughs upstairs. I like to know why there are laughs for. I took the chain from the wall and wrapped it around me. I walked squish to the stairs. They creak when I walk on them. My legs slip on them because I don’t walk on stairs. My feet stick to the wood.
I went up and opened a door. It was a white place. White as white jewels that come from upstairs sometime. I went in and stood quiet. I hear the laughing some more. I walk to the sound and look through to the people. More people than I thought was. I thought I should laugh with them.
Mother came out and pushed the door in. It hit me and hurt. I fell back on the smooth floor and the chain made noise. I cried. She made a hissing noise into her and put her hand on her mouth. Her eyes got big.
She looked at me. I heard father call. What fell he called. She said a iron board. Come help pick it up she said. He came and said now is that so heavy you need. He saw me and grew big. The anger came in his eyes. He hit me. I spilled some of the drip on the floor from one arm. It was not nice. It made ugly green on the floor.
Father told me to go to the cellar. I had to go. The light it hurt some now in my eyes. It is not so like that in the cellar. Father tied my legs and arms up. He put me on my bed. Upstairs I heard laughing while I was quiet there looking on a black spider that was swinging down to me. I thought what father said. Ohgod he said. And only eight.

XXX—— This day father hit in the chain again before it had light. I have to try pull it out again. He said I was bad to come upstairs. He said never do that again or he would beat me hard. That hurts.
I hurt. I slept the day and rested my head against the cold wall. I thought of the white place upstairs.

XXXX—— I got the chain from the wall out. Mother was upstairs. I heard little laughs very high. I looked out the window. I saw all little people like the little mother and little fathers too. They are pretty.
They were making nice noise and jumping around the ground. Their legs was moving hard. They are like mother and father. Mother says all right people look like they do.
One of the little fathers saw me. He pointed at the window. I let go and slid down the wall in the dark. I curled up as they would not see. I heard their talks by the window and foots running. Upstairs there was a door hitting. I heard the little mother call upstairs. I heard heavy steps and I rushed to my bed place. I hit the chain in the wall and lay down on my front.
I heard mother come down. Have you been at the window she said. I heard the anger. Stay away from the window. You have pulled the chain out again.
She took the stick and hit me with it. I didn’t cry. I can’t do that. But the drip ran all over the bed. She saw it and twisted away and made a noise. Oh mygod mygod she said why have you done this to me? I heard the stick go bounce on the stone floor. She ran upstairs. I slept the day.

XXXXX—— This day it had water again. When mother was upstairs I heard the little one come slow down the steps. I hidded myself in the coal bin for mother would have anger if the little mother saw me.
She had a little live thing with her. It walked on the arms and had pointy ears. She said things to it.
It was all right except the live thing smelled me. It ran up the coal and looked down at me. The hairs stood up. In the throat it made an angry noise. I hissed but it jumped on me.
I didn’t want to hurt it. I got fear because it bit me harder than the rat does. I hurt and the little mother screamed. I grabbed the live thing tight. It made sounds I never heard. I pushed it all together. It was all lumpy and red on the black coal.
I hid there when mother called. I was afraid of the stick. She left. I crept over the coal with the thing. I hid it under my pillow and rested on it. I put the chain in the wall again.

X—— This is another times. Father chained me tight. I hurt because he beat me. This time I hit the stick out of his hands and made noise. He went away and his face was white. He ran out of my bed place and locked the door.
I am not so glad. All day it is cold in here. The chain comes slow out of the wall. And I have a bad anger with mother and father. I will show them. I will do what I did that once.
I will screech and laugh loud. I will run on the walls. Last I will hang head down by all my legs and laugh and drip green all over until they are sorry they didn’t be nice to me.
If they try to beat me again I’ll hurt them. I will.

J-P
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 3:50:29 AM

To download "Flowers for Algernon":

http://www.oglethorpe.edu/faculty/~m_rulison/Honors/SpeculativeFiction/Documents/Keyes,%20Daniel%20-%20Flowers%20for%20Algernon.pdf
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 3:55:20 AM

Thanks for mentioning this story, JP. To get an idea of the story
I had to read Wikipedia's article on the story:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_of_Man_and_Woman

Richard Matheson is known for I am Legend and The Shrinking Man.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Matheson
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 4:00:39 AM

The genre SF short stories is a bit neglected. It is rather difficult to get an overview
of this genre. I think a collection of 200 titles would be necessary to get an idea of the good
stories.

A lot of good stories are lacking in the list above, eg
The Meteor by John Wyndham
Arena by Frederic Brown
Helen O'Lan by Lester del Rey - about a female robot
Xipehuz by J.-H. Rosny senior

and a lot more I have yet to discover.
J-P
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 4:03:09 AM

"Flowers for Algernon : the short story :

http://dorinta19.bizland.ro/FLOWERS%20FOR%20ALGERNON%20.htm

Richard Matheson wrote another disturbing story called Lemmings. Here it is:

LEMMINGS — by Richard Matheson

“Where do they all come from?” Reordon asked.
“Everywhere,” said Carmack.
They were standing on the coast highway. As far as they could see there was nothing but cars. Thousands of cars were jammed bumper to bumper and pressed side to side. The highway was solid with them.
“There come some more,” said Carmack. The two policemen looked at the crowd of people walking toward the beach. Many of them talked and laughed. Some of them were very quiet and serious. But they all walked toward the beach.
Reordon shook his head. “I don’t get it,” he said for the hundredth time that week. “I just don’t get it.”
Carmack shrugged.
“Don’t think about it,” he said. “It’s happening. What else is there?”
“But it’s crazy.”
“Well, there they go,” said Carmack.
As the two policemen watched, the crowd of people moved across the gray sands of the beach and walked into the water. Some of them started swimming. Most of them couldn’t because of their clothes. Carmack saw a young woman flailing at the water and dragged down by the fur coat she was wearing.
In several minutes they were all gone. The two policemen stared at the place where the people had walked into the water.
“How long does it go on?” Reordon asked.
“Until they’re gone, I guess,” said Carmack.
“But why?”
“You ever read about the Lemmings?” Carmack asked.
“No.”
“They’re rodents who live in the Scandinavian countries. They keep breeding until all their food supply is gone. Then they move across the country, ravaging everything in their way. When they reach the sea they keep going. They swim until their strength is gone. Millions of them.”
“You think that’s what this is?” asked Reordon.
“Maybe,” said Carmack.
“People aren’t rodents!” Reordon said angrily.
Carmack didn’t answer.
They stood on the edge of the highway waiting but nobody appeared.
“Where are they?” asked Reordon.
“Maybe they’ve all gone in,” Carmack said.
“All of them?”
“It’s been going on for more than a week,” Carmack said. “People could have gotten here from all over. Then there are the lakes.”
Reordon shuddered. “All of them,” he said.
“I don’t know,” said Carmack, “but they’ve been coming right along until now.”
“Oh, God,” said Reordon.
Carmack took out a cigarette and lit it. “Well,” he said, “what now?”
Reordon sighed. “Us?” he said.
“You go,” Carmack said. “I’ll wait a while and see if there’s anyone else.”
“All right.” Reordon put his hand out. “Good-by, Carmack,” he said.
They shook hands. “Good-by, Reordon,” Carmack said.
He stood smoking his cigarette and watching his friend walk across the gray sand of the beach and into the water until it was over his head. He saw Reordon swim a few dozen yards before he disappeared.
After a while he put out his cigarette and looked around. Then he walked into the water too.
A million cars stood empty along the beach.
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 4:13:13 AM

Wunderful contribution, JP. You seem to be an expert of the genre SF short stories.
J-P
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 5:18:54 AM

I have read a lot of novels, too. Two of my favourite writers are Philip K. Dick and Kurt Vonnegut. "Slaughterhouse 5", by Vonnegut, is a great novel, inspired by his personal experience of the bombing of Dresden. There's a Philip Dick novel that I re-read regularly because I find it fascinating : "Ubik", in which the narrator keeps wondering whether he is still alive or already dead.
Jagadeesh Bangalore
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 6:09:54 AM

Neurons: 492,425

Thanks for a very good and useful link, Rogermue. Applause

To 'BE' or to 'AE' ?!!
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 6:53:53 AM

The Sandman - #1 by E.T.A. Hoffmann, Germany, 1816
It is by no means a SF story, it is a troubling story, often labelled "black" romanticism.
The plot is so tangled that I find it almost impossible to give an idea in a few lines.
But it is a famous.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Sandmann

English text of the story -rather long.

http://germanstories.vcu.edu/hoffmann/sand_e.html
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 7:23:40 AM

Neurons: 119,974
Have you ever seen this site Roger?
365 Tomorrows
They publish a new ultra-short story a day, some of them have been pretty good.

Thanks for the list, there are some on there I haven't read, as well as authors I am not familiar with. I started exploring the science fiction available from Amazon for the Kindle, and have about given up on the low end offerings. It just kills me though to pay over $5.00 for sci/fi when I'm probably going to read more than 50 a year.

ET fix link

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 7:51:46 AM

Thanks for the link, Epiphileon. I didn't konw it.
Your link doesn't work.
I googled, the link is

http://365tomorrows.com
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 8:20:42 AM

The Nightfall #2, Isaac Asimov, 1941

A highly praised SF short story I have read, but I didn't find it
so extraordinary. Asimov's story is about a planet where people due to
the constellation of several suns never see the night sky and the stars.
Only once every thousand years a constellation can occur when the night sky
can be seen. Asimov considers how people would react seeing the nightly sky
with thousands of stars. Would they fall in awe or go mad?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfall_(Asimov_short_story_and_novel)
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 10:10:12 AM

Flowers for Algernon #3, 1958, Daniel Keyes, USA

A short story and also rewritten as a short novel about a mentally handicapped man,
Charlie Gordon. He suffers from not being smart and goes to a special school for the handicapped.
Then science has found a way of raising the intelligence of mentally retarded people. Tests with
the white mouse Algernon have been successful. But the newly acqired intelligence may be only for
a limited time. Charlie is chosen as the first test person and his intelligence is rising gradually
- beyond the normal degree. But Charlie's dream of becoming respected, of having friends and being
socially integrated doesn't come true. Due to his enormous intelligence he remains an outsider
as he was before. And then the process is reversed. Charlie falls back into his dumb state and actually,
his situation is worse than it was at the beginning.
A very touching story. The fascinating thing about this narration is not so much the plot or the SF element,
but the technique of narration and the interesting elaboration of details. A story that paves the way for a
better understanding of handicapped minds.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_for_Algernon
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 10:44:03 AM

I have no mouth and I must scream #4, 1967, Harlan Ellison, USA

A horrible story about an apocaliptic world where humankind loses the battle against
an almighty war computer which gradually destroys all human beings and changes the last
human being into something like a defenseless animal.

Artificial intelligence - the end of humankind?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth,_and_I_Must_Scream
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 11:26:36 AM

Fondly Fahrenheit #5, 1954, Alfred Bester, USA

A macabre story about a robot, a multi-purpose android which when exposed to a certain
temperature shows abnormal behaviour -it kills people. The owner of the android is
James Vandaleur, a playboy who is not able to support himself and is totally dependant
on the talent of his android who can be used for any job. There is an element that is a bit
curious, somehow the android has taken on some features he found in Vandaleur's personality. -
Is the actual killer Vandaleur?

http://www.editoreric.com/greatlit/books/Fondly-Fahrenheit.html
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:12:42 PM

Snow #6, 1985, John Crowley, USA

A SF story I don't find remarkable at all. A narrator talks about his dead wife's
memories registered by technical means. But these memories can't be accessed chronologically,
they are rendered only at random and the quality of the memories deteriorates till finally
they are only "snow".
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:56:12 PM

There Will Come Soft Rains #7, 1950, Ray Bradbury, USA

Another apocalyptic story about a destroyed city where not a soul lives anymore.
One house is still intact and the central house computer organizes and manages the
household as if a family were still living in the house. At the end even this house is
destroyed by storm and fire.
Not a story I would count among the top 30 SF stories. It seems the value of this list
of Listology is a bit dubious.
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 2:45:33 PM

The Sentinel #8, 1951, Arthur Clarke, UK

En.wikipedia writes about this well-known story:
An eon-old artifact is discovered on the Earth's Moon left behind by ancient
aliens. For millions of years this artifact has been transmitting signals into deep space.
It is supposed that this artifact is a kind of sentinel. If it should be destroyed, eg by atomic power,
the interruption of the signal would indicate that an intelligent and spacefaring species might have
developed on Earth.
Ideas of this story were used for the film 2001: A Space Odyssee.
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 3:24:11 PM

All You Zombies #9, 1959, Robert Heinlein, USA

This is a very complicated time-travel story with a girl that is getting a child.
Doctors find out that the girl's body is provided internally with female and male organs,
she is "intersex" or bi-sex. Complications during child-birth make a transformation into male sex necessary.
This is the beginning of a very confusing time-travel story which is far too complicated to sum up in a few lines.

Wikipedia has more information.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 3:41:25 PM

Burning Chrome #10, 1982, William Gibson, USA

Two hackers break into the security system of Chrome, a notorious criminal who handles
money transfers for organized crime.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Chrome
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 5:21:42 PM

Neurons: 190,938
rogermue wrote:
All You Zombies #9, 1959, Robert Heinlein, USA

This is a very complicated time-travel story with a girl that is getting a child.
Doctors find out that the girl's body is provided internally with female and male organs,
she is "intersex" or bi-sex. Complications during child-birth make a transformation into male sex necessary.
This is the beginning of a very confusing time-travel story which is far too complicated to sum up in a few lines.

Wikipedia has more information.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies

Well, I know who I am, but who are all you zombies?

I thought this was a really great story - I admire the author's imagination, figuring out all the twists to make a temporal "Moebus person" (with no beginning and no end).

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
rogermue
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 11:56:52 PM

Ender's Game #11, Orson Scott Card, USA

Well-known story, 1977, and novel, 1985. There is also a film, 2013.
The story is labelled military SF. In a future when Earth is exploring space
contact is made with an aggressive alien, insect-like race. Two wars have been
fought and further aggression is possible.
In order to have enough capable officers and commanders children are trained
in military schools in war games. Ender, a young boy, is one of the cadets. He has promising
leadership qualities.
A story with a surprise ending. One of the stories I have read and I can say it is worth
reading.
En.wikipedia has a detailed article about the novel.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_game
rogermue
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 12:15:59 AM

Corrections:
In story 1: Please read: But it is a famous story - instead of "a famous".
In story 3: Read: the newly acquired intelligence - instead of "acqired".

Often the editing of posts does not work properly.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 1:24:48 AM

Neurons: 190,938
I'm not really a fan of short stories - in fact, I'd rather have a 10-volume story than a single novel.

I've only heard of one or two of the titles on the list (I know Ender's game, of course, but only the novel).

I found I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream awful.
However, I did enjoy Flowers for Algernon, sad though it is, and The Sentinel - as a precursor to 2001.

I thought I remembered reading 'All you Zombies' as a novel, but maybe it was a novella or long short story.

Thanks for the link to the lists site - some interesting lists there!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
rogermue
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 3:28:16 AM

"Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman #12, 1965, Harlan Ellison, USA

Though often found in anthologies I don't know how to evaluate this story. I find it a bit silly.
The story is about a future world where everything is regulated and where everyone has to be on time. The Ticktockman is the figure that controls punctuality and punishes those who are not on time. In the worst case the punishment is the death penalty.
The Harlequin is a figure who neglects the rules and who is finally brainwashed and changed into a properly behaving subject.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Repent,_Harlequin!%22_Said_the_Ticktockman
Epiphileon
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 4:32:10 AM

rogermue wrote:
Ender's Game #11, Orson Scott Card, USA
A story with a surprise ending. One of the stories I have read and I can say it is worth
reading.

I found "Speaker for the Dead", the quasi sequel to be a good read as well. I read "Xenocide" as well but do not recall much of it. I understand there are now 2 more books but, I know nothing of them.

rogermue
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 4:34:32 AM

Houston, Houston, Do You Read? #13, 1976, James Triptee, Jr., USA

This is one of the more interesting SF stories. By the way, James Triptee
is a female author.
It is the story of spaceship Sunbird with three male astronauts on board.
By a large solar flare their ship is damaged and transferred into unknown regions
and another time. Impossible to reach NASA in Houston. Finally they are contacted by
a foreign spaceship and rescued.
The technical equipment on board the spaceship Gloria is quite different from what they
are used to and the crew on board the spaceship Gloria is all-female. Finally the three
astronauts learn about the fate that has hit Earth and why there are only women abord
the Gloria. And the survival of the three men is doubtful.

En.wikipedia has a plot summary that is worth reading.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston,_Houston,_Do_You_Read%3F
Epiphileon
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 4:37:25 AM

rogermue wrote:
I have no mouth and I must scream #4, 1967, Harlan Ellison, USA

A horrible story about an apocaliptic world where humankind loses the battle against
an almighty war computer which gradually destroys all human beings and changes the last
human being into something like a defenseless animal.

More like a giant slug, the most horrifying story I've ever read. Harlen is one of the freakier authors.

rogermue
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 2:52:13 PM

The Colour Out of Space, 1927, H. P. Lovecraft, USA
Story no. 14

Lovecraft is known for his horror stories and story 14 is no typical SF story,
it belongs rather to the genre amazing stories.
It is about an area in the hills of Massachusetts hit by a meteor years ago.
This area is somehow poisoned and has negative effects on plants, animals and
people, who either go insane or die one by one.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colour_Out_of_Space
rogermue
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 3:40:45 PM

We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, 1966, Philip K. Dick, USA
Story 15

A really good SF story, made into a spectacular film with Schwarzenegger,
Total Recall, 1990, directed by Paul Verhoeven.
It is about Douglas Quail, a normal clerk who dreams of visiting Mars.
As he can't afford it he plans to go to the firm Rekal which can implant
realistic memories of a visit to Mars.
In reality, Quail was a top secret agent for the government, the James Bond type,
and he was active on Mars. But after having achieved his tasks, the government agency
decided to eliminate the memories of his activity on Mars and have him live the life
of a normal citizen.
A very interesting situation as basis for a story and Dick has managed to write a thrilling
SF yarn.

More: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Can_Remember_It_for_You_Wholesale

More stories by Philip K. Dick http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Can_Remember_It_for_You_Wholesale_(collection)
rogermue
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:21:32 AM

The Mountains of Mourning, 1989, Lois McMaster Bujold, USA
Story 16

A stand-alone novella in Bujold's space opera series Vorkosigan Saga with the
central figure Miles Vorkosigan.
In this case Miles has to play detective in a murder case. A woman from the Dendari
Mountains has come to him to demand justice for the murder of her infant girl, a disabled child.
Among the people of the mountains it was practice to kill disabled children.

Information taken from Goodreads

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2684541-the-mountains-of-mourning
rogermue
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:52:05 AM

The Veldt, 1950, Ray Bradbury, USA
Story 17

A horror story with elements of SF. Children murder their parents.
Veld or veldt is an Afrikaans word related to field or German Feld.
In Afrikaans ist means open country, grassland, thinly forested.
But in this story it is the name of the children's room in a high-tec house of
the future. The room is designed as an African veldt with animals in it, even
lions. It is fun for the children to play there.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Veldt_(short_story)

Short stories by Ray Bradbury http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Short_stories_by_Ray_Bradbury
rogermue
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 3:44:04 AM

Bloodchild, 1984 - Octavia Butler, USA
Story 18

Octavia Butler is an African American writer. Bloodchild is the title of a story
and also of a story collection.

En.wikipedia writes about Bloodchild: About humans who live on an alien planet
ruled by powerful insect-like creatures but dependant on the humans in that they can only
have offspring by implanting their eggs in the bodies of the humans, with whom they share
a symbiotic existence. Buler says the condition of the humans is not mere slavery.

A very curious topic for a SF story, but the views about Butler's stories in Goodreads
are very positive.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavia_E._Butler

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60930.Bloodchild_and_Other_Stories

Text: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/books/chap1/bloodchi.htm