The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

W.E.B. Du Bois Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,693
W.E.B. Du Bois

Du Bois was an early African-American civil rights leader and scholar, as well as the first African American to receive a PhD from Harvard University. He was an outspoken critic of the social inequalities that existed in the US during the early part of the 20th century, and he helped found the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). What led Du Bois to seek Ghanaian citizenship at the age of 95? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 1:31:02 AM

Neurons: 3,449,328
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 1:50:34 AM

Neurons: 2,575,640
I was struck by the meticulousness of his personal life, but without such drive, & with an uphill battle because of the discrimination of the era, he would probably not have been able to accomplish all he did. Applause

Quote:
His closest friend was Joel Spingarn – a white man – but Du Bois never accepted Spingarn's offer to be on a first name basis.[263

This quirk seemed eccentric at first impression, until I remember the Sydney Poitier movie In the Heat of the Night & his famous line: "You call me Mister Tibbs!"

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
striker
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 11:27:38 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
that's a great personal accomplishment
TB Turtle
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 12:44:41 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
It is impossible to not Trip over the obvious. The man graduated from Fisk and Harvard, played with 'white children' in public school as a child. I could Not afford Harvard. Could you? More cannot vs. can.

W.E.B.'s top achievement is the Lenin Award. He is a Communist, that lived a Rich life. Read his books, he proudly reveals himself.

I have never met a Communist I would admire or like.
Wanderer
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 2:24:41 PM

Neurons: 78,988
He was a great scholar of undeniable education. He overcame much and used his abilities to further the progress of democracy. I wish we could acknowledge the man and his achievements without having to defend or applaud the circumstance of his struggle.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 4:28:52 PM

Neurons: 37,072
He, along with others were great men. As a white sailor that was transferred to Jacksonville, Florida Naval Air Station in 1958,we were informed that under no circumstance's were we as white sailor's, to ride in the last 5 rows in any public bus. I was just 19 at the time and was appalled at the reasoning and explanation that I received. Since that time I have been blatantly aware of the disgusting customs within this country and have done everything within my power to stop the racist actions of the vile white majority within this country; but at present it would seem that I and others like me are loosing the battle.....
TB Turtle
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 6:47:00 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
Frederic-frank, take courage, I think we have come a long way. Interracial marriage was Illegal in our country and now, thankfully, commonplace. You would not find another country more racially or culturally mixed. God has blessed America.

Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 9:44:57 PM

Neurons: 144,425
W.E.B. Du Bois
Du Bois was an early African-American civil rights leader and scholar, as well as the first African American to receive a PhD from Harvard University. He was an outspoken critic of the social inequalities that existed in the US during the early part of the 20th century, and he helped found the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). What led Du Bois to seek Ghanaian citizenship at the age of 95? More...

Think I wonder if Du Bois would have been admitted to Harvard University if his father had been black...
I admire Du Bois, his progressive thinking, and pacifism. He would have been a progressive thinker even if he had not graduated from Harvard.

W. E. B. Du Bois
W. E. B. Du BoisAKA William Edward Burghardt Du Bois

Born: 23-Feb-1868
Birthplace: Great Barrington, MA
Died: 27-Aug-1963
Location of death: Accra, Ghana
Cause of death: unspecified
Remains: Buried, Christiansborg Castle Grounds, Accra, Ghana

Religion: Agnostic [1]
Race or Ethnicity: Multiracial
Sexual orientation: Straight
Party Affiliation: See Note [2]

Nationality: United States
Executive summary: Civil rights activist

American sociologist and civil rights activist W. E. B. Du Bois began working while still very young, to help support his family after his father left home. He was of mixed black and white ancestry though clearly black in appearance, but African-Americans formed a very small percentage of the population in his home town and he said that he felt accepted by his white classmates. He was radicalized by the more overt racism he endured during his college years at Fisk College in Nashville, and first came to national attention when he criticized ...

http://www.nndb.com/people/535/000031442/