The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

English translation of "trawferre" Options
dusty
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:04:59 PM

Neurons: 5,733
Is there a direct English translation for the word "trawferre"(what I am assuming is a Latin word)

from the Lord Coke quote ...alienum facere vel ex nostro dominio in alienum trawferre sive rem aliquam in dominium alterius transferre...

I understand the legal meaning of the entire phrase, but having trouble finding a translation for the single word "trawferre"

any help is appreciated, Thank you

To be concerned of the fate of the world is not bad, but bearing false witness is to not be
rogermue
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:25:21 PM

Neurons: 34,900
It must be a typo. A Latin verb such as trawferre does not exist. I think trawferre must be transferre correctly.
The letter w does not yet exist in the Latin alphabet.
dusty
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 5:44:29 PM

Neurons: 5,733
Thank You Roger,

I thought it was a typo, but because the typo appeared in every online legal dictionary, I figured it had to be a real written Latin verb (one that produces a noun). I can't imagine every legal reference book to include the typo, so it must be a corrupted data base effecting only e-documents

To be concerned of the fate of the world is not bad, but bearing false witness is to not be
SandraM
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 4:05:38 AM

Neurons: 1,454
I agree with Roger.
Besides, in various books found through Google Books, you can see the correct form "transferre" in the sentence.