The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The days...come and go like muffled and veiled figures sent from a distant friendly party, but they say nothing, and if we do... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 82,452
The days...come and go like muffled and veiled figures sent from a distant friendly party, but they say nothing, and if we do not use the gifts they bring, they carry them as silently away.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
KSPavan
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 12:15:26 AM

Neurons: 3,242,100
Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/r/ralph_waldo_emerson.html#9w2r8kWqH905hdMv.99
sandeep patra
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:00:25 AM

Neurons: 122,829
perfectly said every day is a giftApplause
Samantha Betts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:24:35 AM

Neurons: 67,449
another way of saying take every chance and opportunity before you, if you don't they vanish or someone else takes it.
Sri Harsha
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:19:44 AM

Neurons: 11,356
Time and tide wait for none!!!
Mayra isabel
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 9:36:14 AM

Neurons: 3,468
Some gifts are wonderful, some are not exactly what we expect. Let's accept and regard both kinds as the inherent movement of life; the yin and the yan, the ups and the downs - two "equal" sides of the whole. Whether we like it or not, both gifts, good and bad, have the same value, even though we tend to welcome the good things and refuse to face the bad ones.
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 9:38:41 AM

Neurons: 227,110
One day is an atom of life, basic building block of it all... Though I like friendly parties as well, darling.
Wanda B
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:07:16 AM

Neurons: 68
As I prepare to attend a funeral of a dear friend today, this quote reminds me that Time is final. There are no retakes. It is up to us to enjoy it and cherish what it brings our way. It is our choice to make it a friend or foe.
striker
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:10:32 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
live every moment to the fullest
capitán
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:25:16 AM

Neurons: 23,124
Daemon wrote:
The days...come and go like muffled and veiled figures sent from a distant friendly party, but they say nothing, and if we do not use the gifts they bring, they carry them as silently away.

---

In other words,
the beauty and majesty of this world lies at the grasp of only those who can see it.
And the earth, sky and sea remain there, as always, unaware of the folies of mankind.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:30:08 AM

Neurons: 5,231,380
The context, from THE WORKS OF Ralph Waldo Emerson SOCIETY AND SOLITUDE WORKS AND DAYS

"A farmer said “he should like to have all the laud that joined his own.” Bonaparte, who had the same appetite, endeavored to make the Mediterranean a French lake. Czar Alexander was more expansive, and wished to call the Pacific my ocean; and the Americans were obliged to resist his attempts to make it a close sea. But if he had the earth for his pasture and the sea for his pond he would be a pauper still. He only is rich who owns the day. There is no king, rich man, fairy, or demon who possesses such power as that. The days are ever divine as to the first Aryans. They are of the least pretension and of the greatest capacity of anything that exists. They come and go like muffled and veiled figures, sent from a distant friendly party; but they say nothing, and if we do not use the gifts they bring, they carry them as silently away.

How the day fits itself to the mind, winds itself round it like a fine drapery, clothing all its fancies! Any holiday communicates to us its color. We wear its cockade and favors in our humor. Remember what boys think in the morning of “Election day,” of the Fourth of July, of Thanksgiving [162] or Christmas. The very stars in their courses wink to them of nuts and cakes, bonbons, presents, and fire-works. Cannot memory still descry the old school-house and its porch, somewhat hacked by jack-knives, where you spun tops and snapped marbles; and do you not recall that life was then calendared by moments, threw itself into nervous knots of glittering hours, even as now, and not spread itself abroad an equable felicity? In college terms, and in years that followed, the young graduate, when the Commencement anniversary returned, though he were in a swamp, would see a festive light and find the air faintly echoing with plausive academic thunders. In solitude and in the country, what dignity distinguishes the holy time! The old Sabbath, or Seventh Day, white with the religions of unknown thousands of years, when this hallowed hour dawns out of the deep, — a clean page, which the wise may inscribe with truth, whilst the savage scrawls it with fetishes, — the cathedral music of history breathes through it a psalm to our solitude."

Read more here : http://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/86
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 12:14:52 PM

Neurons: 144,425

Applause Each day is a gift to us that we can fulfill by doing something good for the world, by saying all military jobs around the world must be surrendered, and all weapons disarmed!

The Pacifists, Conscientious Objectors are not to be threatened by the military, and are not to be kept in prisons by different military systems in the world.

For example, the U.S. boasts of "democracy", but their military bullying euphemistically called "SELECTIVE SERVICE SYSTEM" threatens people by imprisonment for up to 5 years and/or a fine of not more than $250,000 if they do not register with "selective service system". The military also threaten peace people that if they refuse to register with "selective service system", that the Pacifists and Conscientious Objectors will be denied jobs and other rights...

For example, let's read the "Smithsonian" October 2014 issue, Escape to Alcatraz, p. 25-31, or Einstein on Peaceby Albert Einstein, edited by O. Nathan and H. Norden, Preface by Bertrand Russell

Einstein on Peace Hardcover – December 12, 1988
by Albert Einstein (Author), Otto Nathan (Editor), Heinz Norden (Editor), & 1 more
6 customer reviews
See all 6 formats and editions
Hardcover
from $10.46
23 Used from $10.46
9 New from $83.42
2 Collectible from $77.52

Read more

Let us cite examples of other military systems oppression in the world!
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:29:35 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Ah, so very true..........we all must remember to enjoy and cherish those hours, as they just may be our last.
Patrycja Nowakowska Montreal
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:39:02 PM

Neurons: 1,700
why muffled and veiled? why from a distant friendly party? why do they carry the unused gifts away silently?

these are my questions...
Dr WWWW
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:43:23 PM

Neurons: 10,072
It appears that most of the writing which discusses this epigraph refers back to his 1851 poem "Days"

Quote:
Daughters of Time, the hypocritic Days,
Muffled and dumb like barefoot dervishes,
And marching single in an endless file,
Bring diadems and fagots in their hands.
To each they offer gifts after his will,
Bread, kingdoms, stars, and sky that holds them all.
I, in my pleached garden, watched the pomp,
Forgot my morning wishes, hastily
Took a few herbs and apples, and the Day
Turned and departed silent. I, too late,
Under her solemn fillet saw the scorn.

Pleaching: Trees are planted in lines, the branches are woven together to strengthen and fill any weak spots until the hedge thickens.
Fillet: a band or ribbon worn around the head, especially for binding the hair.

"To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting." -- Edmund Burke
Kevin Faircloth
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:05:08 PM

Neurons: 3,934
Being this a forum, I'll use my time as an Outlaw. In that context, I bitch slap Mr. Emerson after reading his quote. His topic mimics the elude to a wedding day. Apparently, his days before his time with the bride were boring. It was common during this context of time to lament their feelings of joyfullness. Unlike modern times, a wedding day in Mr. Emerson's era couldn't last into the night. Nor was the air filled with a buzz, ringing in bountiful economic opportunities. Nor was the air filled with a pleasant fragrance, intoxicating all the minds into compulsive lustfullness. Nor was the air filled with invincible attributes, brutishly transforming a known line into an unknown circle. Nor was the air filled with humming illustrious deities, fortifying unconscious sentiments into many realms of varying darkness after the light from the mirage fades. My observations of Mr. Emerson's quote end quickly but respectfully. His perceptions remain his own on this night but, tomorrow...pleasure or pain is a mountain built on the foundation of choice!

Highlander Jurist Archon Antinomianism Ancestry 56°47'49"N 5°00'13"W Yeah, I feel the Pain!
Gezbez1
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:46:26 PM

Neurons: 3,342
And when I'm older I will regret those days that I squandered - the days where I stayed hidden in my office, not shining or making a real difference. But for now .. I will eat cake, listen to the radio, drink old coffee and allow the day to go by and be ... grateful for its simplicity.
It isn't easy to be great and attempt to do great things most days.

Thank you, Mr. Emerson, for reminding me that it is my choice either way.
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:15:18 PM

Neurons: 245,194
Daemon wrote:

""He only is rich who owns the day. There is no king, rich man, fairy, or demon who possesses such power as that."" The prelude to what was quoted from Emerson,
or maybe the very essence. It proves that there is such a thing as poetic prose without prejudice to deeper reflection confined to just a few words.

Either way, it serves to remind us that Coleridge was just quoted a few days ago about the great poet who must also be a profound philosopher.
Saber.A
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 9:01:38 AM

Neurons: 125,845
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause