The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present,... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 89,022
We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship.

E. M. Forster (1879-1970)
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:47:31 AM

Neurons: 3,814,934
“It isn't possible to love and part. You will wish that it was. You can transmute love, ignore it, muddle it, but you can never pull it out of you. I know by experience that the poets are right: love is eternal.”
― E.M. Forster
Vit Babenco
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 2:56:51 AM

Neurons: 559,249
As usual too long and too trivial...
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:43:12 AM

Neurons: 274,444
The same is happening with people, the dead are more safe than living...
Sri Harsha
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:25:42 AM

Neurons: 11,356
Freedom in the past is used as a weapon for development but now it is the one whic the people are taken for granted for various problems
nw3bk3y
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 7:44:47 AM

Neurons: 12,971
People who practice their right to peaceably assemble at political events are corralled into pens where they can't be seen or heard. Peaceful marchers are called angry protestors and the news focuses instead on broken shop windows and traffic jams. The noise of the 99% is turned down by the 1% who control our airwaves and government. We are told we live in a free country by the invisible few who silence all dissent.
Gary98
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:58:13 AM

Neurons: 5,027,418
Freedom for us! And freedom when it is convenient!
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:53:20 PM

Neurons: 5,915,557
The context,from - The Tercentenary of Aeropagitica -1944 "Two Cheers for Democracy"

(Milton’s Areopagitica is among the most eloquent protests against prior censorship ever written. Its context lies in the religious politics of seventeenth century England, where the religious cross-currents of the Reformation and the Counter-Reformation inflamed passions, as the French Revolution and Soviet communism did in later centuries. About this famous essay E.M. Fosrter was to write a sharp little essay in 1944, demanding press freedom even in, or perhaps especially during, war time )

"The fact is we are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship. Yet the past was once the present, the Seventeenth Century was once"now" with an unknown future, and Milton, who lived in his "now" as we do in ours, was willing to take risk."

https://books.google.com.br/books?id=G5H7x-OnqpEC&pg=PA65&lpg=PA65&dq=We+are+willing+enough+to+praise+freedom+when+she+is+safely+tucked+away+in+the+past+and+cannot+be+a+nuisance.+In+the+present,+amidst+dangers+whose+outcome+we+cannot+foresee,+we+get+nervous+about+her,+and+admit+censorship
striker
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:56:56 PM

Neurons: 2,240,255
freedom is must to hold on too
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:44:46 PM

Neurons: 246,729
Daemon wrote:
We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship.

E. M. Forster (1879-1970)

..."we get nervous about her (freedom), and admit censorship." My emphasis.

Forster means allow. We allow much more than that, we allow to be fooled--no need for censorship when there is control.

NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:58:54 PM

Neurons: 2,590,862
nw3bk3y wrote:
“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.” -- Chinese proverb

I love Forster's quote & nw3bk3y's sign off. I've never heard this proverb, thanks for sharing!
Dr WWWW
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 11:03:20 PM

Neurons: 10,072
Milton had this to say regarding re-establishment of censorship by Parliament:

"I deny not, but that it is of greatest concernment in the Church and Commonwealth, to have a vigilant eye how books demean themselves as well as men; and thereafter to confine, imprison, and do sharpest justice on them as malefactors. For books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul was whose progeny they are; nay, they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them. I know they are as lively, and as vigorously productive, as those fabulous dragon's teeth; and being sown up and down, may chance to spring up armed men. And yet, on the other hand, unless wariness be used, as good almost kill a man as kill a good book. Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye. Many a man lives a burden to the earth; but a good book is the precious life-blood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life. 'Tis true, no age can restore a life, whereof perhaps there is no great loss; and revolutions of ages do not oft recover the loss of a rejected truth, for the want of which whole nations fare the worse.

"We should be wary therefore what persecution we raise against the living labours of public men, how we spill that seasoned life of man, preserved and stored up in books; since we see a kind of homicide may be thus committed, sometimes a martyrdom, and if it extend to the whole impression, a kind of massacre; whereof the execution ends not in the slaying of an elemental life, but strikes at that ethereal and fifth essence, the breath of reason itself, slays an immortality rather than a life. But lest I should be condemned of introducing license, while I oppose licensing, I refuse not the pains to be so much historical, as will serve to show what hath been done by ancient and famous commonwealths against this disorder, till the very time that this project of licensing crept out of the Inquisition, was catched up by our prelates, and hath caught some of our presbyters.

"What would ye do then? should ye suppress all this flowery crop of knowledge and new light sprung up and yet springing daily in this city? Should ye set an oligarchy of twenty engrossers over it, to bring a famine upon our minds again, when we shall know nothing but what is measured to us by their bushel? Believe it, Lords and Commons, they who counsel ye to such a suppressing do as good as bid ye suppress yourselves; and I will soon show how. If it be desired to know the immediate cause of all this free writing and free speaking, there cannot be assigned a truer than your own mild and free and humane government. It is the liberty, Lords and Commons, which your own valorous and happy counsels have purchased us, liberty which is the nurse of all great wits; this is that which hath rarefied and enlightened our spirits like the influence of heaven; this is that which hath enfranchised, enlarged and lifted up our apprehensions, degrees above themselves."

The Project Gutenberg EBook of Areopagitica, by John Milton
Mehrdad77
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 11:31:16 PM

Neurons: 440,305
Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
Potter Stewart
Mehrdad77
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 11:35:44 PM

Neurons: 440,305
Censorship is to art as lynching is to justice.
Henry Louis Gates