The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Mandarin is Easy Options
mandaringarden
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 10:28:12 PM

Neurons: 10

Most of the Mandarin teachers don’t speak western languages fluently. Also traditional Mandarin was used as a means to keep down the people. Whoever could pass the exams in mandarin could become a government official which was the goal of most Chinese. This was a historical model. Those attitudes still are present. When I first started studying mandarin my goal was to communicate not to be a mandarin scholar. I was angry as instead of giving us the vocabulary to communicate we were given 10 different ways to say the same thing. To me that was a waste of time. At present I’m a very fluent mandarin speaker but due to my age finding it difficult to use it i.e. the Us government will not permit a person over 62 to take a US government job, China will not give a working visa to a woman over 55.
When I learned mandarin even I myself didn’t know how I picked it up so quickly and now analyzing the situation I see why. Reading and writing yes is difficult but goes quite fast if you already speak it. That is a teaching method. Next we say mandarin is not Latin based but I find there are so many Latin cognates that I haven’t scratched the surface. Also compared to Spanish or French the verbs never change. They are always in the infinitive. As most mandarin language teacher don’t speak other languages they don’t know how to tell the students to look for the cognates. I do it out of fear. If there is something the slightest bit similar, my mind automatically makes a relationship. 99% of the time my mind makes a correct correlation. Sometimes I’m wrong. The US State department says Mandarin is 3 times more difficult than Spanish. As my husband was a mandarin speaker he thought Spanish would be a cinch. Well surprise it was very difficult for him and he never did become really fluent! Take away the fear that Mandarin is difficult. Let me tell you it is much easier that one is led to believe.
Violet Christmas
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:08:41 PM

Neurons: 39,319
Angel There are at least 7 times you didn't capitalize the 'M' in the word "Mandarin".
Nocturnal558
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 8:32:21 AM

Neurons: 1,021
mandaringarden wrote:

Most of the Mandarin teachers don’t speak western languages fluently. Also traditional Mandarin was used as a means to keep down the people. Whoever could pass the exams in mandarin could become a government official which was the goal of most Chinese. This was a historical model. Those attitudes still are present. When I first started studying mandarin my goal was to communicate not to be a mandarin scholar. I was angry as instead of giving us the vocabulary to communicate we were given 10 different ways to say the same thing. To me that was a waste of time. At present I’m a very fluent mandarin speaker but due to my age finding it difficult to use it i.e. the Us government will not permit a person over 62 to take a US government job, China will not give a working visa to a woman over 55.
When I learned mandarin even I myself didn’t know how I picked it up so quickly and now analyzing the situation I see why. Reading and writing yes is difficult but goes quite fast if you already speak it. That is a teaching method. Next we say mandarin is not Latin based but I find there are so many Latin cognates that I haven’t scratched the surface. Also compared to Spanish or French the verbs never change. They are always in the infinitive. As most mandarin language teacher don’t speak other languages they don’t know how to tell the students to look for the cognates. I do it out of fear. If there is something the slightest bit similar, my mind automatically makes a relationship. 99% of the time my mind makes a correct correlation. Sometimes I’m wrong. The US State department says Mandarin is 3 times more difficult than Spanish. As my husband was a mandarin speaker he thought Spanish would be a cinch. Well surprise it was very difficult for him and he never did become really fluent! Take away the fear that Mandarin is difficult. Let me tell you it is much easier that one is led to believe.

Well. Your story is interesting, but to me surprising to me to find here.... I was expecting to come here to find people I could help out with their learning languages... The ones I know some of anyway.
Regardless, after reading your story I must say you definitely have a talent for writing! If you're looking for a job, why don't you try writing a book? Some type of reality based fiction using your own experiences as a foundation? I'd hate to suggest anything more detailed, because as far as I can tell... I think I'd read pretty much any story you could come up with, if written with this type of passion, logic and wisdom.

I just hope I don't come off as ironic or sarcastic! Take my advice, or don't. I only tried to be honest :D I wish you a good day, morning, evening or night.
Annie nan
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 3:35:43 AM

Neurons: 33
For me, at first it is not easy much harder than English learn, then I have this professional experience and beautiful Chinese Teacher Marry, from hanbridgemandarin, she make everything simple, really amazing.