The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

St. Agatha Festival Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,823
St. Agatha Festival

Sant' Agata (St. Agatha) is especially revered in Catania, Sicily, where her relics are preserved in a silver casket. On February 3, 4, and 5 each year, a silver bust of St. Agatha wearing a jewel-encrusted crown is carried in procession from the cathedral to Catania's various churches. Included in the procession are the ceri, huge wooden replicas of candlesticks that are carved with episodes from the saint's martyrdom. The streets are lined with streamers and flowers, and illuminated by strings of colored lights after dark. The festival ends with a fireworks display in the piazza. More...
TB Turtle
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 12:47:30 AM

Neurons: 4,068,781
St Agatha is also known as the saint for all who have been tortured. She was very brave.
striker
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:14:41 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
sicily is a must stop for vacation it is wonderful
franziska_01
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:18:15 AM

Neurons: 14,026
In Genoa, St. Agatha Day marks the beginning of springtime agricultural works. St. Agatha Fair, a very big affair in which everything is sold, from clothing to food, to animals and plants, is held on the first Sunday in February. With St. Peter and Paul Fair, on June, 29th, is the seasonal main Fair in Genoa.

"Fatti non foste a viver come bruti/ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza." Dante, Inferno
Omar Mariani
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:49:29 AM

Neurons: 76,546
St Agatha of Sicily together with the Blessed Virgin Mary, are commemorated by name in the Canon of the Mass
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:54:58 AM

Neurons: 63,022
I'm not sure that a fireworks display is an appropriate way to commemorate someone having their breasts cut off, but then again the Gunpowder plotters were hung, drawn and quartered.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:09:50 AM

Neurons: 5,657,407
St. Agatha

As in the case of Agnes, another virgin-martyr of the early Church, almost nothing is historically certain about this saint except that she was martyred in Sicily during the persecution of Emperor Decius in 251.
Legend has it that Agatha, like Agnes, was arrested as a Christian, tortured and sent to a house of prostitution to be mistreated. She was preserved from being violated, and was later put to death.

She is claimed as the patroness of both Palermo and Catania. The year after her death, the stilling of an eruption of Mt. Etna was attributed to her intercession. As a result, apparently, people continued to ask her prayers for protection against fire.

The scientific modern mind winces at the thought of a volcano’s might being contained by God because of the prayers of a Sicilian girl. Still less welcome, probably, is the notion of that saint being the patroness of such varied professions as those of foundry workers, nurses, miners and Alpine guides. Yet, in our historical precision, have we lost an essential human quality of wonder and poetry, and even our belief that we come to God by helping each other, both in action and prayer?

When Agatha was arrested, the legend says, she prayed: “Jesus Christ, Lord of all things! You see my heart, you know my desires. Possess all that I am—you alone. I am your sheep; make me worthy to overcome the devil.” And in prison: “Lord, my creator, you have protected me since I was in the cradle. You have taken me from the love of the world and given me patience to suffer. Now receive my spirit.”

Patron Saint of:

Breast disease, against
Foundry workers
Nurses

http://www.americancatholic.org/Features/Saints/saint.aspx?id=1282#tagAudio
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 7:51:59 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Her torcher was extreme and t'ws sad, and only the romans of that day or maybe American radical-right Christians could and would do the same.....
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2016 10:34:57 AM

Neurons: 5,657,407
Catania's Most Beloved Religious Festival: Feast of St. Agatha

Sant'Agata's Festival in Catania Sicily

"Saint Agatha lived during the 3rd century AD, and yet 1,700 years later the entire city stops for three days to remember a strong girl who just said no to a man. Every year, she offers the city a chance of redemption, to show to the world that a 'different' Catania is possible. How incredible is that!"

The Feast of Saint Agatha is the most important religious festival of Catania, attracting also many people from the surrounding areas and tourists – it is estimated that up to a million people line the streets of the city during the three-day festa. "For a few days, people forget their problems, their differences, their social class and just focus on venerating Saint Agatha in an incredible mystical atmosphere. Everyone experiences the celebration in different ways, not everyone is a religious devotee, for some it is a photo opportunity, for others the chance to visit dodgy areas of the city they would never dare to go,"

- See more at: http://www.italymagazine.com/catanias-most-beloved-religious-festival-feast-st-agatha#sthash.o1KZvpg4.dpuf

MelissaMe
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2016 11:04:32 AM

Neurons: 347,528
monamagda wrote:
Catania's Most Beloved Religious Festival: Feast of St. Agatha

"For a few days, people forget their problems, their differences, their social class and just focus on venerating Saint Agatha in an incredible mystical atmosphere."

That sounds like a lovely reason to carry on with a yearly celebration! Dancing

This is my only now.
Rahul Goyal
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2016 2:06:14 PM

Neurons: 156,941
Whistle