The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Success comes to a writer, as a rule, so gradually that it is always something of a shock to him to look back and realize the... Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 77,169
Success comes to a writer, as a rule, so gradually that it is always something of a shock to him to look back and realize the heights to which he has climbed.

P. G. Wodehouse (1881-1975)
clavicalbone
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 1:10:18 AM

Neurons: 18,655
Success comes to a writer, as a rule, so gradually that it is always something of a shock to him to look back and realize the heights to which he has climbed.

It's not easy to look back and truly noted the voyage of life as a human being. It's hard for a writer to get the height as he has climbed.
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 2:40:14 AM

Neurons: 197,023
Keep calm, cause as usually downfall happen much faster…
JUSTIN Excellence
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 4:59:19 AM

Neurons: 2,787
Again a realization like this is almost always the result of some personal sorrow . . . Much ado about listening (to write or not to write)! Wholly to scorn the world I cannot claim, though the world's scorn alas drove me to these sad hills ... whose sighs echo my sobbing?

über laboratorium dauernd zur Naturtreue
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 5:57:47 AM

Neurons: 2,292,400
There's the general rule, then there's J K Rowling.

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
Mehrdad77
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 6:16:50 AM

Neurons: 431,830
I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.
P. G. Wodehouse
Mehrdad77
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 6:17:49 AM

Memories are like mulligatawny soup in a cheap restaurant. It is best not to stir them.
P. G. Wodehouse

Mehrdad77
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 6:18:47 AM

I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.
P. G. Wodehouse
Mehrdad77
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 6:20:29 AM

No endeavor that is worthwhile is simple in prospect; if it is right, it will be simple in retrospect.
Edward Teller

Mehrdad77
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 6:22:19 AM

There are plenty of dead scientists I admire, but I can't think of any living ones. This is probably because it is only in retrospect that one can see who made the important contributions.
Stephen Hawking
Dadda555
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 6:53:29 AM

Neurons: 21,028
This is a positive relization. One in retrospective admires one's personal success and for that you don't need anyone else's approval. The greatest art comes from oneself and could therefore never be wrong, as long as you don't consider it so yourself.
pedro
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 8:24:52 AM

Neurons: 61,899
Unfortunately, sometimes through sheer inertia, writers carry on churning stuff out long after their creative powers have waned, thus spoiling their legend. I can recall one Kingsley Amis, no less, being slammed by critics ("this isn't writing. It's padding" etc) a couple of days before he died.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Gary98
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 10:06:17 AM

Neurons: 3,505,307
It seems success can't come to everyone fast enough.
striker
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 11:52:56 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
it's a long process with back room deals
anny30
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 12:44:53 PM

Neurons: 1,312
There is no reward without hard working background
Dr WWWW
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 1:02:06 PM

Neurons: 10,072
A quote from Goodreads - Wodehouse

P.G. Wodehouse
“I suppose the fundamental distinction between Shakespeare and myself is one of treatment. We get our effects differently. Take the familiar farcical situation of someone who suddenly discovers that something unpleasant is standing behind them. Here is how Shakespeare handles it in "The Winter's Tale," Act 3, Scene 3:

ANTIGONUS: Farewell! A lullaby too rough. I never saw the heavens so dim by day. A savage clamour! Well may I get aboard! This is the chase: I am gone for ever.

And then comes literature's most famous stage direction, "Exit pursued by a bear." All well and good, but here's the way I would handle it:

BERTIE: Touch of indigestion, Jeeves?
JEEVES: No, Sir.
BERTIE: Then why is your tummy rumbling?
JEEVES: Pardon me, Sir, the noise to which you allude does not emanate from my interior but from that of that animal that has just joined us.
BERTIE: Animal? What animal?
JEEVES: A bear, Sir. If you will turn your head, you will observe that a bear is standing in your immediate rear inspecting you in a somewhat menacing manner.
BERTIE (as narrator): I pivoted the loaf. The honest fellow was perfectly correct. It was a bear. And not a small bear, either. One of the large economy size. Its eye was bleak and it gnashed a tooth or two, and I could see at a g. that it was going to be difficult for me to find a formula. "Advise me, Jeeves," I yipped. "What do I do for the best?"
JEEVES: I fancy it might be judicious if you were to make an exit, Sir.
BERTIE (narrator): No sooner s. than d. I streaked for the horizon, closely followed across country by the dumb chum. And that, boys and girls, is how your grandfather clipped six seconds off Roger Bannister's mile.

Who can say which method is superior?"

"To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting." -- Edmund Burke
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 3:39:43 PM

Neurons: 243,209
Daemon wrote:

But if success comes to the writer all of a sudden, he had better not looked back for fear of heights?
Corner of Josh
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 4:22:11 PM

Neurons: 37,558
By the time you have struggled through life to reach society's highs, you are old and weak...

The world loves talent but pays off on character. (John Gardner, 1982)
Mayra isabel
Posted: Monday, February 2, 2015 7:54:32 PM

Neurons: 3,177
It is something of a shock to look at old photos/videos of ourselves and of our beloved ones, which make us look back and realise the usually unwanted physical changes we have undergone without any single suffering.
Verbatim
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:07:27 PM

Neurons: 243,209
A truly gradual success, though far from a rule, would rather prepare the deserving writer to take it in stride-- fickle is the appreciation of the crowds and critics, and not necessarily in unison.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:53:55 AM

Neurons: 2,292,400
Dr WWWW wrote:
A quote from Goodreads - Wodehouse

P.G. Wodehouse
“I suppose the fundamental distinction between Shakespeare and myself is one of treatment. We get our effects differently. Take the familiar farcical situation of someone who suddenly discovers that something unpleasant is standing behind them. Here is how Shakespeare handles it in "The Winter's Tale," Act 3, Scene 3:

ANTIGONUS: Farewell! A lullaby too rough. I never saw the heavens so dim by day. A savage clamour! Well may I get aboard! This is the chase: I am gone for ever.

And then comes literature's most famous stage direction, "Exit pursued by a bear." All well and good, but here's the way I would handle it:

BERTIE: Touch of indigestion, Jeeves?
JEEVES: No, Sir.
BERTIE: Then why is your tummy rumbling?
JEEVES: Pardon me, Sir, the noise to which you allude does not emanate from my interior but from that of that animal that has just joined us.
BERTIE: Animal? What animal?
JEEVES: A bear, Sir. If you will turn your head, you will observe that a bear is standing in your immediate rear inspecting you in a somewhat menacing manner.
BERTIE (as narrator): I pivoted the loaf. The honest fellow was perfectly correct. It was a bear. And not a small bear, either. One of the large economy size. Its eye was bleak and it gnashed a tooth or two, and I could see at a g. that it was going to be difficult for me to find a formula. "Advise me, Jeeves," I yipped. "What do I do for the best?"
JEEVES: I fancy it might be judicious if you were to make an exit, Sir.
BERTIE (narrator): No sooner s. than d. I streaked for the horizon, closely followed across country by the dumb chum. And that, boys and girls, is how your grandfather clipped six seconds off Roger Bannister's mile.

Who can say which method is superior?"

I'm definitely putting Wodehouse on my list! Thanks Dr WWWW!

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem