The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The labor of women in the house, certainly, enables men to produce more wealth than they otherwise could; and in this way... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,361
The labor of women in the house, certainly, enables men to produce more wealth than they otherwise could; and in this way women are economic factors in society. But so are horses.

Charlotte Perkins Gilman (1860-1935)
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:35:32 AM

Neurons: 1,725,344
Feminists often insinuate, that women's domestic activity is 'unpaid labour'. So should I pay my wife a salary for her cooking or cleaning, or should she pay me, when I am cleaning the house, cook some food or do some other 'unpaid labour'? It is absurd.Angel
sandeep patra
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:49:51 AM

Neurons: 122,829
A statement crediting the role of a woman in the society....indirect but yet powerfulApplause
Vit Babenco
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 2:53:27 AM

Neurons: 559,249
Long live housewives!
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 2:56:18 AM

Neurons: 255,576
Does the labor of men or horses in the house enables women to produce more wealth than other way around?
Bongani Dennis Mlangeni
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 3:08:42 AM

Neurons: 45,607
More of a subservient-woman.

Mlangeni Bongani Dennis (Mr)
Corner of Josh
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:29:37 AM

Neurons: 37,558
Only women who are willing to pay the debts as well as reaping the benefits of equality with men, will ever convince me.

The world loves talent but pays off on character. (John Gardner, 1982)
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:45:13 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Daemon wrote:
The labor of women in the house, certainly, enables men to produce more wealth than they otherwise could; and in this way women are economic factors in society. But so are horses.

To look on the bright side, horses don't get to share the marital bed (usually).

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Eurc
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:16:32 AM

Neurons: 32,004
Comparing a woman with a horse, interesting...
Also would be interesting to see a horse doing housework.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 7:11:18 AM

Neurons: 2,582,305
ChristopherJohnson wrote:
Feminists often insinuate, that women's domestic activity is 'unpaid labour'. So should I pay my wife a salary for her cooking or cleaning, or should she pay me, when I am cleaning the house, cook some food or do some other 'unpaid labour'? It is absurd.Angel
The actual quote is "... in this way women are economic factors in society ..." you're inferring too much from this quote. Refer below to sandeep patra.

sandeep patra wrote:
A statement crediting the role of a woman in the society....indirect but yet powerfulApplause
HELL YEAH!

Corner of Josh wrote:
Only women who are willing to pay the debts as well as reaping the benefits of equality with men, will ever convince me.
Convince you of what? Women's equality? What debts do you accuse women of not paying?

pedro wrote:
To look on the bright side, horses don't get to share the marital bed (usually).
Shame on you Ashamed to admit I laughed out loud. Silenced

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:10:19 AM

Neurons: 350,106
Daemon wrote:

Ms. Perkins is credited as being a "feminist."

She comes off as an economic sociopath.

Everything boils down to debt money dollars - the very mechanism in use to ENSLAVE women (and men), but she's not smart enough to figure that out. Perhaps that's because her mother was worried about the economics of a horse INSTEAD OF DOING THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB IN A SOCIETY - RAISING EDUCATED, CARING, ACTIVE INVOLVED CHILDREN INTO THE SAME AS ADULTS.

Apparently, her thinking won because so few adults are able to think outside their primarily establishment programming. Mom had little quality time for the kids because she was out making money due, in part, because people like Ms. Perkins made them feel insecure raising a family. Instead, they were fed into the Debt Money Monopoly's (think Rockefeller and Carnegie, they engineered it) operant conditioning schooling from the first time they became conscious.

Also, "women" is a bit too broad. Some women have it great economically.

For example, many women expect their husband to pay the mortgage and pay the bills while they essentially keep their paycheck for themselves. When it comes to the bedroom, the man better "step and fetch" when the woman is interested, but the man better not be "bothersome" to the woman (his desires be d*mned, right ladies? Not all, but absolutely most in America.).

That's a really nice gig, one that would make me feel like a greed bag if I was doing that to someone.

The point is that men and women are different. They each COMPLEMENT each other. They each add value. The establishment finances people to cause division so they can sit in the background and run scams like Debt Money Tyranny, loot trillions from the treasury bankrupting society, and eventually impoverish the self absorbed economic dummies (Gruber said it, I despise him, but he's EXACTLY right) they first divided.

Divide and conquer - it has been going on for millennia, but we are so ignorant we don't see it when it is being applied against us.

Value your spouse equal to yourself and THE MARITAL TEAM will FLOURISH.

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
Omar Mariani
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:12:44 AM

Neurons: 76,546
I have got a wife, she does the housework, she is quite economical, I am very pleased but I must say I wouldn´t ever dream of comparing her or any other housewife with a horse. This comparison is in very bad taste
Gary98
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:18:22 AM

Neurons: 4,711,496
Give them equal say and equal pay
Gary98
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:19:44 AM

Neurons: 4,711,496
Omar Mariani wrote:
I have got a wife, she does the housework, she is quite economical, I am very pleased but I must say I wouldn´t ever dream of comparing her or any other housewife with a horse. This comparison is in very bad taste

She is shaming those who belittles women.
striker
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:55:46 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
there is always a strong woman behind a strong man
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:35:37 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Excellent statement, Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and you would be saddened to see life for women throughout the world by 2015... As a man, more often then not, I am embarrassed by the actions/inactions of my sex regarding equality, and after 75+ years really have not come up with the answer other then castration & lobotomies' for those petty and extremely small & narrow minded men.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:35:38 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Excellent statement, Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and you would be saddened to see life for women throughout the world by 2015... As a man, more often then not, I am embarrassed by the actions/inactions of my sex regarding equality, and after 75+ years really have not come up with the answer other then castration & lobotomies' for those petty and extremely small & narrow minded men.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:52:16 PM

Neurons: 5,601,620
Read the quote in its context:
From, Women and Economics by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

For a certain percentage of persons to serve other persons, in order that the ones so served may produce more, is a contribution not to be overlooked. The labor of women in the house, certainly, enables men to produce more wealth than they otherwise could; and in this way women are economic factors in society. But so are horses. The labor of horses enables men to produce more wealth than they otherwise could. The horse is an economic factor in society. But the horse is not economically independent, nor is the woman. If a man plus a valet can perform more useful service than he could minus a valet, then the valet is performing useful service. But, if the valet is the property of the man, is obliged to perform this service, and is not paid for it, he is not economically independent.

The labor which the wife performs in the household is given as part of her functional duty, not as employment. The wife of the poor man, who works hard in a small house, doing all the work for the family, or the wife of the rich man, who wisely and gracefully manages a large house and administers its functions, each is entitled to fair pay for services rendered.

Read the book :http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/cpgilman/bl-cpgilman-womeneco-1.htm
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:14:35 PM

Neurons: 144,425

Away from feminism... "housewife" is an old demeaning term which has been replaced by open-minded, edified people who use HOME-MAKER, (AMA DE LA CASE), no job more noble and worthy...

...but corporate power-sick men and women who are guided by feelings of "power" will always put down home-makers...
Gezbez1
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:31:27 PM

Neurons: 3,342
I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR! ;)

I found this quote to be very profound and I agreed with Gilman's idea of housewives being "economic factors" who enable men to produce more wealth. WOW!
But the final point about "horses" Think Hmm... I haven't decided what my opinion is on that fascinating point. But conversely, couldn't men also be considered as "workhorses"?
I guess in typing this out, I have decided that I applaud Gilman on the first part of her comment. But the horse reference put an ugly spin on it that could be applied to men AND women who break their backs 40+ hours per week to maintain their/their family's livelihood.
Mayra isabel
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 8:37:34 PM

Neurons: 3,468
It is necessary that someone does the Housework and the Child Raising, be it a man or a woman. Only that, unfortunately, these "jobs" prevents you from being economically independent. Governments should pass a law to make these jobs paid.
Dr WWWW
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:31:55 PM

Neurons: 10,072
It seems to me that there are two ways to look at this home economic analysis. Ms. Gilman looks at the parts and sees inequality. One can also consider the whole, i.e., the family. The family benefits from this division of responsibility and each can ably contribute to a particular area of the family's needs. These days, the responsibilities of the sexes are sometimes reversed, yet the family gets the benefit. More often these days the marriage consists of two individuals, more or less attached, concerned with making sure they are ready to go it alone when the time comes.

"To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting." -- Edmund Burke
Mehrdad77
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:42:55 PM

Neurons: 440,305
There is no female mind. The brain is not an organ of sex. As well speak of a female liver.
Charlotte Perkins Gilman
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 12:58:49 AM

Neurons: 336,895
This is an old and weak feminist argument. I'm sick of it. Most men, especially the big game-changers, did it on their own and gold-digging whores chased them down afterward. Oftentimes they're eventually "cut in half" in divorce court sometime afterward.

Like it or not, ladies, it's true...and you know it.

Feel like arguing about it? Go ahead. I'll summarily slaughter you with facts and examples. You've been warned.

This guy sums up one aspect of the issue very nicely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0gaYyNk7QA
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 5:10:43 PM

Neurons: 245,969
Daemon wrote:

There must be a better reason for women being an economic factor in society, than that it enables men to produce more wealth.

Of course, the horses would prefer parity in Gilman's sarcastic view.