The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Compact Discs Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,693
Compact Discs

Compact discs (CDs) are optical discs that store digital data. The data is digitally encoded on the disc as a series of microscopic indentations—called "pits"—on an otherwise polished surface. The disc is read by a laser beam, which is either absorbed in the pits or reflected off the non-indented areas, called "lands." After the music CD was introduced in 1982, it quickly surpassed records and cassette tapes as the music storage medium of choice. What album was the first to be released on CD? More...
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:15:44 AM

Neurons: 1,637,572
A very useful invention indeed. Now they need to try and make them less fragile. These disks are fractured sometimes, with the guaranteed loss of all data stored thereupon.
AnjanaDutt
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:56:05 AM

Neurons: 12,437
What can one do with old CDs? They are only taking up storage space. My neighbour opposite my house has them hung up all along the ceiling as decorations!! But I think it is to ward off bad luck!! The Chinese believe this!
LucOneOff
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 4:39:56 AM

Neurons: 696,826
The first album to be released on CD was Billy Joel's 52nd Street, which reached the market alongside Sony's CD player CDP-101 on October 1, 1982 in Japan.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:47:34 AM

Neurons: 2,575,640
AnjanaDutt wrote:
What can one do with old CDs? They are only taking up storage space. My neighbour opposite my house has them hung up all along the ceiling as decorations!! But I think it is to ward off bad luck!! The Chinese believe this!

They're often hung up on washing lines or hanging off hooks in gardens in Australia, with the belief that they scare the birds off. I tried it, but they still shat on my washing, so now I've got a plastic snake out there. Bloody birds! Shame on you

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
Gary98
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 10:10:29 AM

Neurons: 4,538,861
NeuroticHellFem wrote:
AnjanaDutt wrote:

They're often hung up on washing lines or hanging off hooks in gardens in Australia, with the belief that they scare the birds off. I tried it, but they still shat on my washing, so now I've got a plastic snake out there. Bloody birds! Shame on you

You have got to take their shitting with their singing.
striker
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 10:55:04 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
there alright obsolete
Omar Mariani
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:13:46 AM

Neurons: 76,546
Billy Joel's 52nd Street
Dr WWWW
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 4:08:59 PM

Neurons: 10,072
From a data storage standpoint, the CD is far superior to magnetic tape;
firstly the storage lifetime is normally far greater and the need to "exercise" tapes is obviated; secondly, access is not linear, as for mag tape, but is essentially instantaneous--one need not wind/rewind.

Recordable CDs totally replaced magnetic tape for archiving--the only question being: how stable are the data on a CD-R?

According to the article:

Quote:
Recordable Compact Discs, CD-Rs, are injection molded with a "blank" data spiral. A photosensitive dye is then applied, after which the discs are metalized and lacquer-coated. The write laser of the CD recorder changes the color of the dye to allow the read laser of a standard CD player to see the data, just as it would with a standard stamped disc. The resulting discs can be read by most CD-ROM drives and played in most audio CD players. CD-Rs follow the Orange Book standard.

CD-R recordings are designed to be permanent. Over time the dye's physical characteristics may change, however, causing read errors and data loss until the reading device cannot recover with error correction methods. The design life is from 20 to 100 years, depending on the quality of the discs, the quality of the writing drive, and storage conditions. However, testing has demonstrated such degradation of some discs in as little as 18 months under normal storage conditions. This failure is known as disc rot, for which there are several, mostly environmental, reasons.

"To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting." -- Edmund Burke
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:12:28 PM

Neurons: 37,072
So what do I do with the taps & tape recorders????
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:12:37 PM

Neurons: 37,072
So what do I do with the taps & tape recorders????
Dr WWWW
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:48:50 PM

Neurons: 10,072
If they work for you, soldier on.

For videotapes, I have been using a combo-vcr/dv-r to transfer the precious children's videos to dvd. Unfortunately, I am missing a power cord to my Sony Camera that I need for some of the tapes.

"To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting." -- Edmund Burke