The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Stendhal Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,361
Stendhal

Largely unappreciated during his life, Marie-Henri Beyle, better known by his pen name Stendhal, is now regarded as one of the great French novelists. His psychologically complex works, like The Red and the Black and The Charterhouse of Parma, influenced the development of the modern novel. His unfinished, posthumously published, autobiographical Memoirs of an Egotist and The Life of Henry Brulard are among his most original achievements. What is Stendhal Syndrome? More...
Omar Mariani
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 8:53:40 AM

Neurons: 76,546
Stendhal syndrome is a psychosomatic illness that occurs as a reaction to art. Also known as hyperkulturemia. This particular condition produces an overwhelming reaction to a large amount of art being gathered in one place or if a work of art is particularly attractive to the viewer. Stendhal syndrome produces actual physical symptoms as the result of the psychological and emotional reaction to art.
striker
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 10:43:25 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
stand out writer of his time
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 1:37:43 PM

Neurons: 1,725,344
I like his Lokis and that other horror story about bronze statue of Venus.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 3:04:10 PM

Neurons: 144,425
Stendhal

Largely unappreciated during his life, Marie-Henri Beyle, better known by his pen name Stendhal, is now regarded as one of the great French novelists. His psychologically complex works, like The Red and the Black and The Charterhouse of Parma, influenced the development of the modern novel. His unfinished, posthumously published, autobiographical Memoirs of an Egotist and The Life of Henry Brulard are among his most original achievements. What is Stendhal Syndrome? More...

The Red and the Black is surely an outstanding literary work. I admire the way he deals with the Christian hypocrisy and social class inventions...
As far as Stendhal's womanizing sickness, he got syphilis as a repercussion for his unbridled and dispersed lust just like Nietzsche.
What a pity for a person of such abilities to serve the military and mildly said prostitute himself.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 3:10:35 PM

Neurons: 144,425
Omar Mariani wrote:
Stendhal syndrome is a psychosomatic illness that occurs as a reaction to art. Also known as hyperkulturemia. This particular condition produces an overwhelming reaction to a large amount of art being gathered in one place or if a work of art is particularly attractive to the viewer. Stendhal syndrome produces actual physical symptoms as the result of the psychological and emotional reaction to art.

What about Shakespeare whose settings and characters are not just British, not just Shakespeare....!
monamagda
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 7:21:15 PM

Neurons: 5,601,620
HYPERKULTUREMIA

Stendhal syndrome, also called Florence syndrome is a condition where it’s unbearable to confront beauty. It overtakes your senses. It overwhelms you. Turns out being slayed by beauty is another disorder.

Symptoms can include rapid heartbeat, dizziness, fainting, confusion and hallucinations when exposed to great beauty, especially a lot all at once. It came happen when confronting man-made art, or just the natural world. The “illness” is named after a 19th century French author with the pen name Stendhal (real name Henri-Marie Beyle) who went through an intense experience in 1817 during a trip to Florence, Italy. When he visited the Basilica of Santa Croc where Machiavelli, Michelangelo and Galileo are buried, he saw Giotto’s frescoes and felt a little something. He wrote: “I was in a sort of ecstasy, from the idea of being in Florence, close to the great men whose tombs I had seen. Absorbed in the contemplation of sublime beauty I reached the point where one encounters celestial sensations. Everything spoke so vividly to my soul. Ah, if I could only forget. I had palpitations of the heart, what in Berlin they call ‘nerves.’ Life was drained from me. I walked with the fear of falling.”

http://lynncinnamon.com/2013/08/too-beautiful-to-look-at-stendhal-syndrome/