The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Castanets Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
Castanets

Now used primarily in Spanish dance music, castanets are percussion instruments that were known to the ancient Egyptians and Greeks. Of the many kinds, the most common consist of two small matching pieces of hard wood or ivory, joined at the inner edge and used with a thin strap in the player's hand. They are snapped together between the palm and fingers and used to produce clicks for rhythmic accents, especially to accompany dancing. What is the origin of the instrument's name? More...
stefan
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 6:09:48 AM

Neurons: 3,293,044
The name (Spanish: castañuelas) is derived from the diminutive form of castaña, the Spanish word for chestnut, which they resemble
Omar Mariani
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:44:32 AM

Neurons: 76,546
Spanish castañeta, equivalent to castaña: chestnut (Latin castanea) + -eta diminutive suffix)
striker
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 10:25:58 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
they sound great in the gypsies caves in granda
hedy mmm
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 3:20:51 PM

Neurons: 648,595
Wonderful to think of Castanets today, New Year's Eve.....my mom was a Spanish Dancer, many years ago, here in New York
I have her 2 sets of castanets, one in red and another set in black, and I actually know how to use them......
if I knew how, I would post her picture with the authentic 'cabaret' dress and all......she was so beautiful....she passed away this year on Jan 30th at 82 of cancer....

Today is especially hard, but this has given me bittersweet memories of my Mom, Lily....
I'm sure the picture I would have posted is how she looks NOW in glory.

Thank you Daemon, stefan, Omar Mariani and striker for all your comments.....and especially Daemon for the post.......

Muchisimas Gracias de mi corazón por los buenos recuerdos de mi mami' y su castañuelas.

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 10:31:48 PM

Neurons: 37,072
From my days with a Jug Band Castanets were secondary to playing the spoons or the washboard.
pitulush
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 12:38:12 AM

Neurons: 465,309
Hello, hedy.

You can't post a photo directly from your computer, first you need to upload it to an image hosting site like tinypic, photobucket, imgur etc. You'll get a link for your photo. Then, click on the photo icon (the one of a mountain, it's among the text editing tools) and insert the link between img and /img.

I used to be fascinated by castanets when I was little and I would love to see that pic of your mother. Let me know if you need further assistance with this.