The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Birds Heard Tornados, Flew to Safety Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 5:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,850
Birds Heard Tornados, Flew to Safety

Just a day before a devastating tornado outbreak swept through the US this year, a handful of songbirds in the region evacuated by flying hundreds of miles away. The scientists tracking the birds as part of a larger study speculate that they sensed the approaching twisters by detecting tornado-produced infrasound, a low frequency noise that can travel thousands of miles. The birds fled just days after finishing their 3,100-mile (5,000-km) seasonal migration from Colombia. They then flew 400 miles (700 km) south to the Gulf of Mexico, and returned almost immediately after the storms ended. More...
Wanderer
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 8:10:50 AM

Neurons: 78,988
I doubt that any animal can hear a tornado that hasn't formed. The storm may have been approaching but until it hits an opposing warm front giving the lift there will not be a tornado. Tornados, unlike hurricanes, cannot stay on the ground (or a vortex) for very long. The record tornado lasted maybe four hours. I have lived in tornado alley all my sixty years and I don't think this is true.
Joy Frohlich
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 11:13:38 AM

Neurons: 240,520
Very interesting. It does say the scientists "speculated" rather than "believed". In the Canterbury Plans of New Zealand, not uniformly flat, where they have sudden nasty snow storms and landslides, farmers have noticed ewes going homewards some hours before and taking shelter in hollows and protecting their lambs. Maybe New Zealand scientists have speculated about the reason. I do not know.
striker
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 6:28:24 PM

Neurons: 2,240,255
also they sense the change in pressure
Omar Mariani
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 6:42:51 PM

Neurons: 76,546
Too wise to still believe in evolution
Wanderer
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 6:47:54 PM

Neurons: 78,988
I agree that birds and other animals feel barometric pressure changes however, the title of this piece says birds heard the tornado coming. It did not say that a change in air pressure may have caused their flight. My only point was they could not have heard a tornado before there was a tornado. Tornados make a terrible roar and I have seen my own animals start nervous pacing as a bad storm approaches. I swear I feel it in my bones days before big changes. But I've never heard a tornado until there was one.