The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Indian Ocean Tsunami Strikes Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,100
Indian Ocean Tsunami Strikes

A tsunami is a series of massive waves generated when a body of water is rapidly displaced. The deadliest tsunami in recorded history, the Indian Ocean tsunami killed some 230,000 people in Indonesia, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka, and other countries as far away as Somalia on the Horn of Africa. It was triggered by an undersea earthquake near Sumatra with a magnitude of between 9.1 and 9.3 and inundated coastal communities with waves up to 100 ft (30 m) high. How far away were the effects felt? More...
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 2:06:27 AM

Neurons: 1,547,585
When I used to be religious, I always asked myself, if Almighty God rules the Universe, why do such mass disasters happen? What is the point in killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people, including many children? If these catastrophes happen against God's will, so he is not almighty at all. So, in brief, I am not religious any more. There were many other causes, of course, but such mass disasters (generally speaking, not only this particular one) were among them. Sorry if I inadvertently hurt religious feelings of any individual. It was not my purpose.
Omar Mariani
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 6:53:16 AM

Neurons: 76,546
Hi ChristopherJohnson,

I do not think you have hurt anybody's feelings, certainly not mine, don't worry about that.- But let me tell you how I feel about all these disasters killing so many innocent people.- "God has got nothing to do with it"

It is men who bring about these catastrophes and kill men, certainly not God.-

An example and only one example of many:

Underground nuclear testing refers to test detonations of nuclear weapons that are performed underground. The energy of the nuclear explosion is released in one microsecond. In the following few microseconds, the test hardware and surrounding rock are vaporised, with temperatures of several million degrees and pressures of several million atmospheres. Within milliseconds, a bubble of high-pressure gas and steam is formed.- Although underground testing was the rule to avoid radioactive fall-out, it is not exactly true that no radioactivity is released into the atmosphere whenever one of these tests is carried out.- The total population exposure to radioiodine from all 'underground' tests amounts to 9.1 million person-rads of thryoid tissue exposure (about 2% of all exposure due to continental nuclear tests). This can be expected to eventually cause about 2800 cases of thyroid cancer, leading to some 140 deaths.

We might be talking about lots and lots of other examples

It is true that God is almighty, dead right there, but if God were to stop man's destructive hand every time man is about to make a a fatal mistake, man couldn't possibly exercise his free will, man would not be a free creature to show exactly his true colours, man would be a robot and man, for better or for worse, is not a robot

I agree with you that it would be nice, perfect to live in a world without such disasters but this planet is inhabited by men and there are all kinds of men in this world of ours
walirlan
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 7:20:24 AM

Neurons: 253,078
striker
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 10:35:08 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
watching that video 10 yrs. ago still is surreal to me
TB Turtle
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 7:06:54 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
I could not read Most of this article. So terrifying for all of the victims.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2014 11:49:14 PM

Neurons: 37,072
And sadly these disasters will continue and become even more destructive as global warming increases the height of the seas around the globe. I'm interested in seeing what will happen to Florida and NYC subway system's.