The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Jesus Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
Jesus

The primary sources for the life and teachings of Jesus—the central figure of Christianity—are the Gospels, but references to his life also appear in the works of non-Christian writers of antiquity, including Tacitus, Suetonius, Pliny the Younger, and Josephus. Most scholars agree that Jesus was born just before the death of King Herod the Great in 4 BCE. The earliest extant reference to December 25 as Jesus' birthday is in the Philocalian Calendar of Rome in 336 CE. What was Jesus' surname? More...
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 5:39:54 AM

Neurons: 336,895
I LOVE his holiday...or, rather, the pagan version we celebrate (thanks Constantine!). That said, there are serious reservations--and a lack of evidence--that an historical Jesus ever existed.

No real records, only 3rd-hand accounts jotted down decades later. Then bastardized by a handful of powerful "leaders" centuries later.

It's okay if you believe it. It does not, however, make the story true.

Merry Christmas!
walirlan
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 6:54:44 AM

Neurons: 253,078
Stuart Graham
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 8:10:48 AM

Neurons: 24,283
It is unfortunate that the The Free Dictionary allowed this article on the Today's Birthday feed. It is really trying to sell us that (1) there was a historical Jesus and (2) his birthday was Christmas. Many of the so-called Biblical scholars start with the premise that Jesus existed and seek to prove it. December 25th was set many centuries after the time of the mythical Jesus's life as the birthday of Jesus by the Roman Catholic Church, as an appropriation of existing Pagan holidays, such as Yule and the Saturnalia. I see no more reason to believe in a historical Jesus and his miracles than I do in a historical Krishna and his miracles.
Omar Mariani
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 9:02:47 AM

Neurons: 76,546
History is recorded BC and AD, divided into world history Before Christ and world history After Christ, before and after somebody who never existed!!! How come?
striker
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 10:37:16 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
i believe
MelissaMe
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 10:40:04 AM

Neurons: 347,528
This is complete falsehood, and everyone is well aware of that fact. Even the New Testament states Jesus was born in the spring when the lambs were born! Shepherds are NOT out in their fields right now! Early Christian leaders stole Saturnalia to help in the conversion of followers. Even most Christians know and accept this! Posting falsehoods doesn't make the site look like a very dignified authority of facts and definitions.

I would suggest you find someone who was really and truly born this day, and post an article about them. I won't even bother to read this fallacious article.

This is my only now.
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 11:56:41 AM

Neurons: 648,595
To likeminded TFD posters; Omar Mariani, Striker, MelissaMe, Applause

Thank you for your posts....and especially walirlan for 'The Plain Truth'.....but sadly, many have not experienced or bothered finding TRUTH, my husband was a Scientist and a lecturer....he also taught for over 35 years, and he believed in Creation....sadly he died Fall 2013 at 82.

...For us, it's "words of life"......but I also think that, "casting pearls before swine"....is what we are doing.

However, we will celebrate the birth, life and resurrection of our Lord Jesus, because although it wasn't today WE CAN CELEBRATE.......Lord Richly Bless You All

The following passage was my reading for today:

With the birth of Jesus, Micah’s prophecy of significance was fulfilled: “But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, are only a small village among all the people of Judah. Yet a ruler of Israel, whose origins are in the distant past, will come from you on my behalf” (Micah 5:2). Bethlehem is defined by Jesus’ birth.

Isn’t the same true for us? When Christ comes to live in us, we are changed. No longer just ordinary human beings, we become the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. Our identity and destiny are marked by Him, just as surely as a town becomes known for the significant person who was born there.

Christmas is a wonderful time to celebrate the presence of Christ in us, and the change He brings to all who invite Him in. —David McCasland

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 2:31:01 PM

Neurons: 144,425
Happy 2015 to All!
TB Turtle
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 2:49:24 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
The non believers on this thread are dark hearted bullies. They are lacking of any human common decency. Too bad for you.

I am not ashamed of my faith. God bless even the dark hearted on such a Wonderful, blessed day!
blufire78
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 3:43:06 PM

Neurons: 449
Apparently, Jesus was born early april. The pagans were worshiping the 'winter solstice' several days late. They called it the birthday of the sun. when Christians shared the gospel with them, they changed it to the birthday of the Son, to relate to their culture.

merry CHRIST-mas to all of you!
http://www.ucg.org/doctrinal-beliefs/biblical-evidence-shows-jesus-christ-wasnt-born-dec-25/
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 4:54:06 PM

Neurons: 37,072
This was a great and wonderful teacher that has, to some degree assisted civilization become more socially orientated and giving, but so very many that profess to believe if him and his teachings are nothing more then con-artists bent on raping the public and the world.
L.Rai
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 7:20:55 PM

Neurons: 1,383,480
Jesus as many have pointed out was most likely not born on Dec. 25th...so what. For the world (even in China) this day is celebrated and called His birthday. The point is that for those of us who do have faith and belief, this is a pivotal moment in time for us. However I'd like to remind those of faith that this day has NO meaning unless you can also remember THE day you were transformed by faith into the body of those who call themselves "followers". If you can then you KNOW what this day means and that's all that matters.

For those who truly believe, I wish you a very joyful and triumphant celebration of when the Light of the World came to be among us. May you live out that Light wherever you may be and cast off the darkness that surrounds us.

Marry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

By the way the answer to the question..Jesus wouldn't have had a surname since most Jews in that time didn't. They were known as son of .... or daughter of.... so his full name would have been Yeshua ben Elohim, but I don't think that was used formally. Just my guess. He did according to the New Testament use the title Son of G-d, so this would have been fitting.

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
Omar Mariani
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 8:01:59 PM

Neurons: 76,546
Thank you hedy mmm
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 10:53:03 PM

Neurons: 648,595
Dear LRai,

'Yeshua ben Elohim',was his full name, you are correct.....thank you....yes......."He is light, He is love, He is grace...". These lyrics are from a song.....you have a blessed New Year....

Omar Mariani,
Que Dios te bendiga y que El te ampáre los deseos de tu corazon. Yo soy de padres puertorriqueño y aleman y me gusto el idioma español. Por favor si yo a hecho un error, conrrigelo, para que yo aprenda. Yo estoy traduciendo su 'post' para una amiga por el 'app' ''Translations', y tambien lo comparti con amistades en ingles.

Feliz Navidad y Prosperous Año para usted y su familia.
Muy amable......hedy
Applause

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Absurdicuss
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 11:26:48 PM

Neurons: 30,654

Freedelphians, please note the following:

Lee Stroebel - "The Case for Christ" is a well researched and written documentary on the compelling historicity of Jesus the Christ.

This is only one of many such works.

Gary R. Habermas & Michael R. Licona have collaborated in "The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus"

An honest reading of those two books alone should, at the very least, convince one that there is much more to the gospel accounts than popular opinion can reveal.

"Now" is the eternal present.
Water Mark A.
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2014 1:14:26 PM

Neurons: 3
I have to agree with MelissaMe, this is completely false. Most people think as hedy mmm does, that is okay to celebrate Christmas just as long as we believe in Christ. As well they believe that celebrating Christmas (no matter what day) is an appropriate form of worship to God. But what does the Bible say? As far as Jesus birthday goes no date is ever mentioned in the Bible. As well, the apostles whom had accompanied Jesus in his ministry, never celebrated his birth on any day let alone the 25th of December, nor did early-day Christians. Rather, in harmony with Jesus' command, they commemorated only his death. (Luke 22:17-20; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26) So was he born on the 25th? The Bible doesn't say. However, it does say in Luke 2:8 that the shepherds were out in the fields and keeping watch over their flocks, which is something they don't do in December. The Bible also tells us that Jesus died at 33 and half years old on Nisan 14. If you do the math that puts his birth in September or October. So what the Bible tells us is that it couldn't have happen in December. Why does that make a difference? John 4: 23-24 tells why. "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers."God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." We have to worship God in truth, Christmas being the birth of Jesus is just not the truth. If you take the time to do a little research, you will find that Christmas has no roots in true Christianity. Many Bible scholars of various religious denominations acknowledge this. The New Catholic Encyclopedia acknowledges: “The date of Christ’s birth is not known. The gospels indicate neither the day nor the month. According to most scholars today, the birth of Christ was assigned the date of the winter solstice (December 25 in the Julian Calendar, January 6 in the Egyptian), because on this day, as the sun began its return to northern skies, the pagan devotees of Mithra celebrated the dies natalis Solis Invicti (birthday of the invincible sun). M’Clintock and Strong’s Cyclopedia says: “The observance of Christmas is not of divine appointment, nor is it of New Testament origin. The day of Christ’s birth cannot be ascertained from the New Testament, or, indeed, from any other source.” Christmas has nothing to do with God or true worship, look it up for yourself.
MelissaMe
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 11:08:42 AM

Neurons: 347,528
Well said, Water Mark A.! Applause

Welcome to TFD Forums.

This is my only now.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:13:10 PM

Neurons: 548,912
At last it is all out in the open! Only Melissame and a couple of others know the truth about Christ! What have all our great theologians and scholars been thinking about through the centuries?

I remember, therefore I am.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:22:01 PM

Look, it doesn't matter when Jesus was born. It suits the Church, ie. the people of God, to mark the occasion on the 25th of the twelfth month. Posters trying to trash Christmas on this forum should get a life and an education.

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 5:57:25 PM

For Goodness' sake, H.M. Queen has a birthday plus an official birthday. The official birthday was chosen to facilitate holidays and celebrations on a day that did not clash with other civic occasions.

L.Rai
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 10:05:46 PM

Neurons: 1,383,480
Long live the Queen, and indeed she has!

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"