The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Battle of the River Plate (1939) Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,361
Battle of the River Plate (1939)

In the early months of World War II, the German pocket battleship Admiral Graf Spee had been seeking out and sinking British merchant ships, a practice known as commerce raiding. The British navy tracked down the German ship and engaged it near the River Plate, in what was the first major naval engagement of the war. Outgunned, the Germans sailed for Montevideo in the hopes of making repairs. Shortly thereafter, the captain, believing his forces to be outnumbered, made what decision? More...
striker
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:29:52 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
the huge victory for the british naval forces
Phil Redbud
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 11:38:24 AM

Neurons: 111,099
Not sure where to post this etc etc. 'This Day In History' isn't registering? I was waiting to click the X on the daily goal 'well done' banner but it never came, it seems 'Today's Holiday' and 'Today's Birthday' are also acting up too. I wondered If there any maintenance work at the mo'?

I had posted 300+ words last weekend on a WwW game, won a meal and 200pts bonus to wake up and find all but around 100 words actually registered, so no meal or passing go. I felt awful picturing some poor mite having his dinner snatched back.Shame on you
I discovered there had been work going on overnight and as I play the game on paper it wasn't a huge problem for me to redo it and get the meal back.

Yes striker, a great victory. Anything that had Hitler chocking on his own rage makes me smile Dancing

Oh, what fresh horror is this, Isn't it bad enough I lay the occasional egg?
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 2:43:37 PM

Neurons: 144,425
Think Like children playing with dangerous toys on a large scale that is actually an adult game of war and killing and taking territories and economic advantages from others!
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 4:23:20 PM

Neurons: 596,642
Happy Latin-America (South-America) for almost not having participated in World War II.