The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Human nature is above all things lazy. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:00:00 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/7/2009
Posts: 27,938
Neurons: 82,992
Location: Inside Farlex computers
Human nature is above all things lazy.

Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811-1896)
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:32:13 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/20/2013
Posts: 819
Neurons: 350,106
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Daemon wrote:
Human nature is above all things lazy.

Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811-1896)


Hence, incessant propaganda that appeals to lazy (and amusement).

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
sandeep patra
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:35:42 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/25/2014
Posts: 160
Neurons: 122,829
Location: Koraput, Orissa, India
Laziness is a curse for living an energetic and enriched life...
Madas
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:26:42 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/26/2014
Posts: 165
Neurons: 2,263,202
Location: Vilnius, Vilniaus Apskritis, Lithuania
Drool I do agree since am too lazy to discuss.
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:30:32 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/26/2013
Posts: 2,855
Neurons: 231,108
Location: Minsk, Minskaya Voblasts', Belarus
Yeah, comparable with inhumane nature... Though I must admit that laziness (with vanity) is an engine of progress.
Vit Babenco
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:15:05 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/16/2014
Posts: 177
Neurons: 259,570
Location: Ivanovo, Ivanovo, Russia
I guess Uncle Tom has told her so...
Mayra isabel
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:08:03 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 12/11/2014
Posts: 25
Neurons: 3,468
While you are lazy, others are not.....
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:11:48 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/4/2014
Posts: 7,199
Neurons: 5,272,839
Location: Bogotá, Bogota D.C., Colombia
This quote, so cruelly true is from HARRIET BEECHER STOWE' HOUSEHOLD PAPERS AND STORIES - Chapter VI

THE LADY WHO DOES HER OWN WORK

For many years these habits of life characterized the majority of our rural towns. They still exist among a class respectable in numbers and position, though perhaps not as happy in perfect self-satisfaction and a conviction of the dignity and desirableness of its lot as in former days. Human nature is above all things—lazy. Every one confesses in the abstract that exertion which brings out all the powers of body and mind is the best thing for us all; but practically most people do all they can to get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than circumstances drive him to do. Even I would not write this article were not the publication-day hard on my heels. I should read Hawthorne and Emerson and Holmes, and dream in my armchair, and project in the clouds those lovely unwritten stories that curl and veer and change like mist-wreaths in the sun. So also, however dignified, however invigorating, however really desirable, are habits of life involving daily physical toil, there is a constant evil demon at every one’s elbow, seducing him to evade it, or to bear its weight with sullen, discontented murmurs.

Great author!! read her works here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/31217/31217-h/31217-h.htm#VI___THE_LADY_WHO_DOES_HER_OWN_WORK
pedro
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:19:05 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/21/2009
Posts: 13,058
Neurons: 62,957
Daemon wrote:
Human nature is above all things lazy.

Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811-1896)




I think she's having a mild dig at her hairdresser.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
striker
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:51:32 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/30/2014
Posts: 1,698
Neurons: 2,240,255
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts, United States
how true today
Elorac
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:00:29 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/22/2014
Posts: 346
Neurons: 223,771
Location: London, England, United Kingdom


A day without laughter... is a day wasted :-)
Mv Log
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:00:35 AM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 11/4/2014
Posts: 20
Neurons: 39,095
That's absolutely false assumption. Contrary, human nature is curious and therefore ever seeking beyond the habitual. No living creature does a bit beyond its basic needs. Only human raised his head toward the sky and invaded it. Human is awesome, in good and evil evenly.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 11:43:49 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/5/2014
Posts: 1,011
Neurons: 144,425
pedro wrote:
Daemon wrote:
Human nature is above all things lazy.

Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811-1896)




I think she's having a mild dig at her hairdresser.


Applause Dancing
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 11:49:18 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/5/2014
Posts: 1,011
Neurons: 144,425
If looked from the perspective of laziness as complacency, then she is right on target. If people have stood up to corruption every time it occurred, then we would have a better world today. People have been lazy to learn the difference between true spiritualism vs. religions.
gerry
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:05:27 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/21/2009
Posts: 535
Neurons: 291,011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
It all depends who the viewer my be
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:14:08 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 11,167
Neurons: 56,794
Yes, people do exactly what they WANT to do, no more, no less.


Pedro, you made me laugh out loud for a long while. Thanks.


We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Geeman
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:47:19 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2009
Posts: 1,788
Neurons: 124,907
Location: Whittier, California, United States
It seems she wrote this more than once....

Context, the first:

Quote:
It yet remains a mystery to my mind, how a church which retains such a stimulating and inspiring liturgy could have such drowsy preaching, -- how men could go through with the "Te Deum," and the "Gloria in Excelsis," without one thrill of inspiration, or one life above the dust of earth, and, after uttering words which one would think might warm the frozen heart of teh very dead, settle sleepily down into the quietest commonplace. Such, however, has been the sin of ritualism in all days, principally because human nature is, above all things, lazy, and needs to be thorned and goaded up to those heights where it out to fly.

Oldtown folks and Sam Lawson's Oldtown Fireside Stories

Context, the second:

Quote:
For many years these habits of life characterized the majority of our rural towns. They still exist among a class respectable in numbers and position, though perhaps not as happy in perfect self-satisfaction and a conviction of the dignity and desirableness of its lot as in former days. Human nature is above all things -- lazy. Every one confess in the abstract that exertion which brings out all the powers of the body and mind is the best thing for us all; but practically most people do all they can to get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than circumstances drive him to do....

I believe that's from "Raking up the Fire"
Found here: https://books.google.com/books?id=EeN5AgAAQBAJ&pg=PT5560&lpg=PT5560&dq=%22Human+nature+is+above+all+things+lazy%22+stowe&source=bl&ots=opVzQYWH7R&sig=ar5qN__6EcSaKJ38zKZbOPQskMs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VA6KVJXyGpC0oQTXiYDQCQ&ved=0CDkQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=%22Human%20nature%20is%20above%20all%20things%20lazy%22%20stowe&f=false

Interesting that she'd strike the same note more than once.... Is that a theme, or just lazy writing?
ddaniel
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:19:28 PM

Rank: Member

Joined: 11/12/2014
Posts: 56
Neurons: 14,538
Location: Pooler, Georgia, United States
So little to say and so much time to say it...wait a minute...reverse that...
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:24:14 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/3/2012
Posts: 2,116
Neurons: 245,359
Daemon wrote:
Human nature is above all things lazy.

Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811-1896)


Geeman has a valid point for more than one reason. The author seems to have written an epigram, sometime, and used it more than once with different punctuation.
In the first context: "human nature is, above all things, lazy", I doubt that laziness is, above all other things or faults of human nature. But the meaning
is clear.

In our quotation from TFD, without context, lack of punctuation could -- with a bit of stretching--change the meaning to: 'human nature is above all things (that are) lazy.' Think
My emphasis and inter-scribing.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:08:11 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/26/2014
Posts: 1,405
Neurons: 37,072
Location: Apache Junction, Arizona, United States
Very true; "Human nature is above all things lazy." And that is why our political process has become so totally corrupt.
Barnacle Barney Bill
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:16:26 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/9/2014
Posts: 350
Neurons: 96,854
Location: Chelsea, Massachusetts, United States
I like my LazyBoy recliner. Just looking at it makes me feel happily lazy. It is positioned in my man cave for viewing football on the big screen TV. It has a camouflage pattern cloth. When I wear my camos I blend like a chameleon. It has a built in cooler for keeping the Guinness at my finger tips. My dear wife brings me chicken wings, chips and salsa during the games. Life is good, BBB
Omar Mariani
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:34:30 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/25/2014
Posts: 655
Neurons: 76,546
Location: Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires F.D., Argentina
That depends on what the lady means by lazy

If "lazy" means "idle, indolent, shiftless, slothful" I disagree with the lady.- We all know there are some people like that but it is certainly not the vast majority of mankind

Whereas if "lazy" means "weak, feeble" (that being part of the etymological sense of the word), I agree with the lady
TB Turtle
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:53:29 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/27/2014
Posts: 492
Neurons: 4,068,781
Location: Portland, Maine, United States
I think Pedro is all over this one. Maybe she was in a bad mood because of he Bad hairdo.
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 12:39:09 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/3/2012
Posts: 2,116
Neurons: 245,359
If there is such a thing as "above all" characteristic to human nature, it is ambivalence. Find definition here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ambivalence
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.