The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Reggae Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,557
Reggae

Reggae is a form of popular music that developed in the 1960s among the Jamaican poor. It draws on American "soul" music and traditional African and Jamaican folk music, as well as ska—Jamaican-British dance-hall music. Many of reggae's highly political songs proclaim the tenets of the Rastafarian religious movement. Instrumentation accents the upbeat and usually includes an ensemble of organ, piano, drums, bass, and electric guitars. What are some theories on the origin of the term "reggae"? More...
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 12:23:17 AM

Neurons: 1,362,658
The answer today is complex. Look in the article and find Etymology and it has the full story but short of it is that the term reggae was claimed by a few people. It can mean raggedy or a loose woman or even "to the King", it just depends on who claims to have coined it.

For me personally I like Bob Marley's reasoning behind the word. It gives the word a bit more class.

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 7:42:50 AM

Neurons: 2,582,305
When anyone says 'reggae', it's always Bob Marley who comes to mind first.

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:13:24 AM

Neurons: 5,526,580
Those who enjoy Reggae Music are usually influenced by the lyrics to further pursue the Rastafarian religion. This has made this culture popular among the youth. It stands for rebellion against the status quo of society, In much the same way as acid rock did in the 60’s and early 70’s. Some think that Rastafarianism and Christianity are essentially the same. Reggae music which carries the Rasta's message is essentially non-Christian even though it mentions scriptures and has elements of their principles, it is far removed from historic Christianity. There are also Christian Reggae bands that use this style of music, Christafari. Music by itself is neither good or evil but it can be an influence for either, depending on the lyrics as well as the beat. The repetitive beat can put someone in an altered state of consciousness. This is something to be aware of.

http://www.letusreason.org/cults16.htm
Vit Babenco
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 12:04:27 PM

Neurons: 512,431
"Them belly full, but we hungry;
A hungry mob is a angry mob."
Them Belly Full - Bob Marley.
striker
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 12:37:14 PM

Neurons: 2,240,255
great dance and listening music
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:00:44 PM

Neurons: 37,072
I first encountered Reggae music when I was sailing on the Polynesian schooner with the Mike Burk's Windjammer cruses, out of Miami Beach Florida, fall of 1961. The majority of the crew were Bahamian's and when we reached Nassau, they took me to a local bar/club. Wow, what an experience for a white boy from Northern Minnesota. The music seemed to reach into ones inner most soul and "ask" to escape the confines of that Puritanical Christian conditioning that stifles so many within our society and destroys true creativity. Soon thereafter I returned to Minnesota and enrolled in a college and began my studies in psychology, sociology and fine art. Within less then a few years, the artist within me won and I have dedicated my entire life to becoming the best artist I could, and still put in close to 70 hours a week within my studio, at age 75.5..... Thank you all back there for the gift you awakened within me....