The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put... Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,720
A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the lumber-room of his library, where he can get it if he wants it.

Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930)
Vit Babenco
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 1:13:02 AM

Neurons: 498,119
That's what we're doing here...
Joy Frohlich
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 1:32:27 AM

Neurons: 240,520
Quite right Vit Babenco. This is one of Coan Doyle most sensible statements, with no apparent undercurrents. Of course, he did not have Wikipedia etc. but the principle still applies today. We should keep essential information which we need away from home in our brains, when we are at home we can seek further iformation in our library.
sandeep patra
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 3:40:51 AM

Neurons: 122,829
That's the best ever definition for the proper definition of the brain...Store and Reuse
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 6:44:37 AM

Neurons: 243,214
Knowledge is nothing without access to it... Darling, where's my key from lumber-room?
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 6:46:27 AM

Neurons: 2,575,640
Hmm, I'm reading it differently.
It seems to me that Doyle's saying a man should only bother stocking his little brain with what he's "likely to use, & the rest he can put away...", which is definitely not something I believe.
I prefer to expand my "little brain" by memorising poetry, phone numbers, &c for no other reason than to exercise my brain. How many of us would be able to call our next of kin in an emergency if we lost our mobile phone? You've found some change, you've found a working public phone, but what is your spouse's work number? Siblings' home numbers?
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but "lumber-room"? I wouldn't describe my library as "lumber".

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 8:00:09 AM

Neurons: 5,442,204
The quote in context.

From : "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" "The five orange pips" - Page 102

“Yes,” I answered, laughing. “It was a singular document. Philosophy, astronomy, and politics were marked at zero, I remember. Botany variable, geology profound as regards the mud-stains from any region within fifty miles of town, chemistry eccentric, anatomy unsystematic, sensational literature and crime records unique, violin-player, boxer, swordsman, lawyer, and self-poisoner by cocaine and tobacco. Those, I think, were the main points of my analysis.”

Holmes grinned at the last item. “Well,” he said, “I say now, as I said then, that a man should keep his little brain-attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the lumber-room of his library, where he can get it if he wants it. Now, for such a case as the one which has been submitted to us to-night, we need certainly to muster all our resources. Kindly hand me down the letter K of the American Encyclopaedia which stands upon the shelf beside you. Thank you. Now let us consider the situation and see what may be deduced from it. In the first place, we may start with a strong presumption that Colonel Openshaw had some very strong reason for leaving America. Men at his time of life do not change all their habits and exchange willingly the charming climate of Florida for the lonely life of an English provincial town. His extreme love of solitude in England suggests the idea that he was in fear of someone or something, so we may assume as a working hypothesis that it was fear of someone or something which drove him from America. As to what it was he feared, we can only deduce that by considering the formidable letters which were received by himself and his successors. Did you remark the postmarks of those letters?”

People, read Sherlock it's wonderful here :https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/d/doyle/arthur_conan/d75ad/complete.html#chapter5
abrar
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 8:13:05 AM

Neurons: 150
Well to keep the things in lumber room or anywhere else is not the point. One should enhance his/her perception once he came into contact with anything/everything.

I haven't given this privilege to anybody to make me happy or angry.....SADHGURU
striker
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 11:25:29 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
read, read, and more reading
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 12:55:13 PM

Neurons: 144,425
From : "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" "The five orange pips" - Page 102

Even at the ripe old age of a hundred, we can still learn something new if we challenge ourselves. We adapt the knowledge from good books to new situations and new expanding world of ideas and good practices.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 1:37:08 PM

Neurons: 30,361

Compartmentalization is key to sanity. There are some forgotten dungeons in there. Well almost...since I know that they exist.

"Now" is the eternal present.
TB Turtle
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 8:57:47 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
'Did Milica just let it slip that she is 'at the ripe old age of One Hundred'?!
Omar Mariani
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 9:12:49 PM

Neurons: 76,546
Good piece of advice

Let`s fill our minds with whatever might come in handy, be useful.- The rest, not so important, can be stored away somewhere else and be retrieved in case of need
pedro
Posted: Monday, December 8, 2014 5:42:01 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Not worth a jot if you wake up as a giant insect.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, December 8, 2014 8:00:47 AM

Neurons: 2,575,640
pedro wrote:
Not worth a jot if you wake up as a giant insect.

Is Kafka in your lumber room?

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem