The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

St. Barbara's Day Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,850
St. Barbara's Day

Scholars doubt that St. Barbara existed as more than a legend that emerged during the 2nd century. In parts of France, Germany, and Syria, St. Barbara's Day is considered the beginning of the Christmas season. In southern France, it is customary to set out dishes holding grains of wheat soaked in water on sunny window sills. If the "St. Barbara's grain" grows quickly, it means a good year for crops. There is a similar custom in Germany and the Czech and Slovak republics with cherry branches. In Syria, St. Barbara's Day is for feasting and bringing food to the poor. More...
Madas
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 1:23:58 AM

Neurons: 2,263,202
Girls who adore Barbie dolls could find more sense and meaning after reading this.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 7:11:28 AM

Neurons: 2,589,153
I don't need St. Babs to help me to predict the weather for Christmas in Sydney. I predict I'll be 'sweating like a fat chick' all day, to quote an Aussie saying. Whistle

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
striker
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:16:10 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
three st barbara in my family
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 6:30:51 PM

Neurons: 5,657,407
History and Legend: The Story of Saint Barbara
The Rest of the Story: Forget the Barbie dolls. Here's the legend of Saint Barbara, patron on artillerymen and bomb squads.

She lived in Asia Minor in the third century, legend has it, the daughter of Dioscorus, a strict pagan father who locked her up in a tower to shield her from the world. She secretly converted to Christianity and wouldn’t agree to an arranged marriage. Her father had her condemned to death. She escaped several times through divine intervention, and finally Dioscorus took it upon himself to behead her.

God got even with the old man, however. On his way home from killing his daughter, the father was blown to smithereens by a bolt of lightning.

So Saint Barbara became the patron saint of artillerymen, armorers, military engineers, gunsmiths, miners, bomb squads, and anyone else who works with cannon and explosives. She is invoked against thunder and lightning and all accidents arising from explosions of gunpowder. She is venerated by every Catholic who faces the danger of sudden and violent death in work.

Pope Paul VI removed Barbara from the Calendar of Saints in 1969, citing the improbability that she actually lived. No matter. Her feast day, December 4, is still celebrated in many countries of the world.

http://patch.com/massachusetts/westroxbury/bp--history-and-legend-the-story-of-saint-barbara