The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Perfect Pitch Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,883
Perfect Pitch

Perfect pitch, also known as absolute pitch, refers to the ability to sing or recognize the pitch of a tone by ear. Experiments have shown that this skill, a form of memory, can be acquired through practice, but in some individuals, it appears to be inborn. Although there does not seem to be a correlation between absolute pitch and musical genius, many celebrated composers—like Mozart and Beethoven—are thought to have had perfect pitch. What is the more common skill known as "relative pitch"? More...
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 6:25:37 AM

Neurons: 2,539,917
Copy/pasted from the article:
Quote:
Relative pitch

Many musicians have quite good relative pitch, a skill which can be learned through ear training. With practice, it is possible to listen to a single known pitch once (from a pitch pipe or a tuning fork) and then have stable, reliable pitch identification by comparing the notes heard to the stored memory of the tonic pitch.[76] Unlike absolute pitch, this skill is dependent on a recently perceived tonal center.

I read that 'Linguistics' section a few times: that talk of level-tone languages of Africa with three & four pitch levels, & the pitch & contour tone languages of East Asia lost me.
My comprehension: pitch black!
No wait! Is that absolute pitch black or relative pitch black? d'oh!

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
striker
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 8:39:29 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
you have to born with that gift
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 2:01:40 PM

Neurons: 144,425
Johannes Sebastian Bach had a sense of "perfect pitch". Even with a genius like Bach, it was hard work to reach the divine pitch dedicated to Got/God/the Light. His music is a tonic for the soul. Thank you, Bach for the music in which you ingeniously express your gratitude to God for the amazing gift and inspiration the Light/the Higher Power gave you!
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 6:18:13 PM

Neurons: 5,360,635
What do music teachers say about perfect pitch and relative pitch?

Music schools and universities will teach you relative pitch, not perfect pitch. Being able to identify one single isolated tone (= perfect pitch) is of little use for musical interactions and group performances. Ear training, as it is taught in a large majority of music schools, involves movable-do solfege (or Sol-Fa), which per definition involves the use of relative pitch skills. This tone-naming system which can be used in EarMaster is highly flexible and enables to seamlessly transpose music into different keys. Perfect pitch is usually nowhere to be found in music departments, but is rather discussed in research labs where the origin and learnability of the skill is debated and tested.

http://www.earmaster.com/wiki/ear-training/perfect-pitch-relative-pitch.html
TB Turtle
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:30:59 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
I Never agree 100% with Anyone. Just a few days ago I blasted something Millica posted that Might have been a complete Oversight on her part; and I said that in my post.

I Do Not care if Frederic-Frank is an Atheist! However, I Do Care if someone is attempting to bully someone into Silence. From Millica's past posting ability, I am certain she needs No one to jump in to defend her. She can even blast me back for my post.

Frederic-Frank must realize that even the Art community is Overloaded with Pedophiles. I don't believe anyone on one of these threads has Flamed him for being a "narrow, small minded, sick, etc. person because he has No faith.

The topic of the thread is music. I love music....I can't carry a note in a basket with a lid, but I sure enjoy those who can play an instrument or sing.
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 10:28:03 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Wow ! Fred ! And I got in trouble for calling someone lazy ( well, and some other ill-chosen remarks ). That was just not nice. I've yelled at Fred for being a hypocrite ( apparently it's evil to spend money on space exploration, but okay to spend it on Fred's useless art, while there are children starving etc ), but I don't think I'd pull the pederast/terrorist card. This borders on hate speech ( as defined in Canadian Law, anyway )

Fred, I am also educated ( you have no monopoly on that ) , yet you are apparently completely ignorant of humanity and therefore not qualified to comment further on this or any other thread.

PM Teluu and you can go have a big old hatred bath together.

Sanity is not statistical
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 10:48:23 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Oh and while I'm at it, Fred, how dare you, an artist, be so bloody patronising as to suggest that the arts only be discussed by 'educated' persons. What ? Classical music is the sole purview of those whose intellects match your lofty standards ? Check your history, pal,

You stand on the shoulders of giants, my friend. Anything in the Tate as of this date ? Thought not.

Sorry nick. Am I in trouble again ?

Sanity is not statistical
pedro
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 6:49:01 AM

Neurons: 63,014
There is also an issue with the full stop after 'bullshit' The repetition of ability and abilities is just poor self-editing. The word 'terrorist' should be plural and hence 'enjoys' should be 'enjoy'. Keep up the good work Fred!

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst