The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Rosa Parks Refuses to Give Up Her Seat (1955) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,693
Rosa Parks Refuses to Give Up Her Seat (1955)

Dubbed the "Mother of the Modern-Day Civil Rights Movement" by the US Congress, Rosa Parks was an African-American civil rights activist who became famous in 1955 for refusing to vacate her seat on a municipal bus for a white man. This act of civil disobedience sparked the Montgomery Bus Boycott, which launched Martin Luther King, Jr., into prominence and became one of the largest and most successful movements against racial segregation. How many thousands of commuters took part in the boycott? More...
Joy Frohlich
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 4:21:29 AM

Neurons: 240,520
It needed someone brave enough to take a stand. Also, we should remember how the abolition of slavery could have led to a blood bath of reprisals. That it did not is, at least, partly to do with the fact that so many negro slaves had become christians. It is really an indictment of so called "western civilisation" that segregation went on for so long.
AnjanaDutt
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 5:24:48 AM

Neurons: 12,437
Didn't America know about pigmentation and that is why some of us are black, white, yellow, brown etc?
ellana
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 5:50:21 AM

Neurons: 127,162
Racism is not a black and white thing and it is not a new phenomenon. Yes, it deals with colour but also with ethnicity, with social status, with religion and anything else man can get his warped mind around.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 5:53:53 AM

Neurons: 2,575,640
So she wasn't the first to refuse? But it took courage knowing that others before her had tried & failed. Good on her! Applause

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 6:21:28 AM

Neurons: 1,637,572
“So called” Western civilization may have many shortcomings, but being a free civilization, it allows its members to campaign against shortcomings and imperfections of political systems. It takes living in an Oriental dictatorship like Soviet Union, North Korea or communist China, to fully realize what real dictatorship and oppression mean.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 7:11:41 AM

Neurons: 30,361

One brave woman taking a seat in her stand against the evils of an oppressive system of government and culture.

A hero for the ages and one to be heralded. Her seemingly innocuous non violent act of defiance was that proverbial spark.

"Now" is the eternal present.
striker
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 9:43:38 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
strong pride woman
Sonsofsabbath
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 11:47:43 AM

Neurons: 525,609
A courageous woman.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 2:11:15 PM

Neurons: 37,072
I read this article and remember the coverage on the news, then I think of what has just occurred in Ferguson, Mo., and I ask myself; "...has anything really changed over the past 60 years?" I also recall my orientation seminar when I reported to my U.S. Navy duty station in Jacksonville, Florida, c. 1959 and was informed that us white sailor's were not allow to take seats in the last 3 rows of a bus because that's where the "colored" were allowed to sit. America is one really sick society and I am totally embarrassed to be an American. And yes, if I could afford to move all of my art pieces, studio equipment and shop tools, I'd leave in a heart beat. So, if anyone out there is interested in helping this artist out, let me know....
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 3:07:13 PM

Neurons: 144,425
Rosa Parks Refuses to Give Up Her Seat (1955)

Dubbed the "Mother of the Modern-Day Civil Rights Movement" by the US Congress, Rosa Parks was an African-American civil rights activist who became famous in 1955 for refusing to vacate her seat on a municipal bus for a white man. This act of civil disobedience sparked the Montgomery Bus Boycott, which launched Martin Luther King, Jr., into prominence and became one of the largest and most successful movements against racial segregation. How many thousands of commuters took part in the boycott? More...

Applause Rosa's outstanding character got her into prison, but she did start breaking the chains of false "white justice"... there are many more types of injustice in the world (racial being just one of them), but the world needs people like this in many different areas of life. Teaching Ethics throughout school systems instead of militarized history of the world can bring about a better world.
Gary98
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 3:39:38 PM

Neurons: 4,536,523
ChristopherJohnson wrote:
“So called” Western civilization may have many shortcomings, but being a free civilization, it allows its members to campaign against shortcomings and imperfections of political systems. It takes living in an Oriental dictatorship like Soviet Union, North Korea or communist China, to fully realize what real dictatorship and oppression mean.

Does Nazi Germany count as your "Western civilization"? Was it real dictatorship? Is it as bad as "Oriental dictatorship"?

Try harder to define your "West and Oriental dictatorship".
monamagda
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 5:41:47 PM

Neurons: 5,438,488
An inspiration to freedom-loving people everywhere. Bravo Rosa!!

Mrs. Parks recalled in an interview, "we didn't have any civil rights. It was just a matter of survival, of existing from one day to the next. I remember going to sleep as a girl hearing the Klan ride at night and hearing a lynching and being afraid the house would burn down." In the same interview, she cited her lifelong acquaintance with fear as the reason for her relative fearlessness in deciding to appeal her conviction during the bus boycott. "I didn't have any special fear," she said. "It was more of a relief to know that I wasn't alone."

Most historians date the beginning of the modern civil rights movement in the United States to December 1, 1955. This brave woman, Rosa Parks, was arrested and fined for violating a city ordinance, but her lonely act of defiance began a movement that ended legal segregation in America, and made her an inspiration to freedom-loving people everywhere.

http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/par0bio-1
elle16
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 7:06:20 PM

Neurons: 1,584
People will do anything to deprive another human being of the same things they hold. The inhumanity of society has gotten out of control; all you have to do is look around you and see how injustice persists and it almost seems that those with much, continue to push down those with little.

This woman had had it and she wasn't giving up her seat. I think all of us need to step back and take a good look at our own actions. Will we allow something that we know isn't right, or are we the culprits of actions taken towards others that shouldn't be?
Barnacle Barney Bill
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 8:36:48 PM

Neurons: 106,013
Fredric-frank Myers wrote:
I read this article and remember the coverage on the news, then I think of what has just occurred in Ferguson, Mo., and I ask myself; "...has anything really changed over the past 60 years?" I also recall my orientation seminar when I reported to my U.S. Navy duty station in Jacksonville, Florida, c. 1959 and was informed that us white sailor's were not allow to take seats in the last 3 rows of a bus because that's where the "colored" were allowed to sit. America is one really sick society and I am totally embarrassed to be an American. And yes, if I could afford to move all of my art pieces, studio equipment and shop tools, I'd leave in a heart beat. So, if anyone out there is interested in helping this artist out, let me know....

Things haven't changed in the last sixty years. Really??? A black man is President of the USA! America is not perfect but to say we are sick is a bit harsh. I am proud of our country and what we have accomplished in every field of human endeavor. Our solders die on humanitarian missions all over the world. Many of the worlds people would trade places with even our poorest citizens. Have you been to Haiti or any other third world county? Very few people leave the USA. Thousands more come here for a better life. God has blessed our nation with people many nationalities, religions and races. It is a great melting pot that works in harmony for the majority of the time. We fail sometimes but we keep on working at it. Life is good, BBB
TB Turtle
Posted: Monday, December 1, 2014 9:26:51 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
Very well said Barnacle Barney Bill; I can feel and relate to the steam coming from Gary98 as well. This is not relive pre 1865 day. Nor beat and insult the Yank day.

Blacks in America were emancipated before women. Without White folk fighting and freeing them... Without Men of All Color in America women would Not have the right to vote.... Yes, the same race and gender that brutalized also freed. 'Cause, we are Not All Alike!

Common sense should take hold even if common decency does Not. 'All' white people and 'All' men were Not our enemy. If so our experiences in America would be the same as before 1865.

This is Not a unique experience for America only. During the bloodbath of Germany World War II, uncountable Jews were rescued and saved by the German People. Read Dietrich Bonhoeffer's letters before his execution for trying to kill Hitler. Just as our Civil War, thousands of brave Germans supported the Resistance in Europe.

Stop screaming insults....we are Not racist and all Germans do Not hate jews. Whomever is ashamed of being an American should give up their right and their seat to one of the Millions waiting in line. God has blessed this great country. If despots look like Unicorn Heaven to you...Go For It!
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:10:40 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Hey, you guys know I have my fair share of issues with the U.S., and most other countries to be frank. But to opine that nothing has changed since Ms Rosa Parks did that brave thing is just idiotic. Hey Frank, women have jobs now too.

Sanity is not statistical