The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Coffee Party Options
Raparee
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 11:21:32 AM

Neurons: 18,102
CNN has an article on this movement today, here.

I know, I hate politics. I hate talking politics. I get angry. I hate backstabbing and two-faced people in any event and politics seems to gather them all in one not-so-tidy and not-so-little bundle. I think they're all pretty much liars and thieves once they get to the point they could do good, even if they started out well. Those who do mean well and generally do want to try to do good for their represented people become so hampered in the muck and mire that their hands are tied by the time they can do good. I hate it. Sometimes, a rare few will slip through and actually do something worthwhile, but at the cost of any further political career. Still, I'd like to think doing that something worthwhile was, in fact, worth it.

This, however? For some reason, this has a good feel to me. It's idealistic, to be sure, but it seems more calm than the Tea Party Movement that seems completely enraged. It feels like it could have impact. Most people don't think about politics and don't get involved until it personally affects them. This is pretty normal as far as I can tell. But right now, politics is knocking on every door in America and I'm seeing a lot more people fed up with the state of government and lack of real representation. Big business is ruling and we're getting shafted and it's finally hurting us enough that people are standing up.

What say you?
NinjaMonkee
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 11:54:15 AM

Neurons: 768
REVOLT!
TL Hobs
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 1:50:55 PM

Neurons: 5,591
I was going to join Anarchists International, but they couldn't agree on where to meet.Eh?
tiggr
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 2:30:50 PM

Neurons: 72
NinjaMonkee wrote:
REVOLT!

Are we being revolting?
The Saurus
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 4:15:21 PM

Neurons: 762
TL Hobs wrote:
I was going to join Anarchists International, but they couldn't agree on where to meet.Eh?

A similar thing happened to me when I tried to join the Procrastinator's Union.

Kidding aside, I'm curious what this movement will achieve. It seems levelheaded, which I like, but I imagine it might not have much of an impact because of it, which is an unfortunate reality.
Seeker
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 5:03:49 PM

Neurons: 1,715
Thanks for the link Raparee. What an interesting article.

This new group calls for civility, objects to obstructionism and demands that politicians be held accountable to the people who put them in office.

“But I'm just looking for something different."

"President Obama is stifled by a dysfunctional Congress. When he was on the campaign trail, he used the word 'we' a lot. He cannot do this alone. He needs our help."

"I'll hug your [picture of an elephant] if you kiss my [picture of a donkey]."

"I am looking for a group of informed thinkers.”

Sounds like my cup of te… organically grown, freshly brewed coffee!!! I think I’ll head on over to Facebook and have a cup.
nooblet
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 5:32:17 PM

Neurons: 4,778
I can't say I care for coffee, but if we could hold our politicians accountable, that would likely fix many of the US's problems. I think that politicians should also be paid based on citizen review of the politician's deed. That way the politicians are guaranteed to do what the citizens actually want. This is just an idle thought that occurred to me, so I'm sure there's all sorts of problems, but it's a fun idea.
Raparee
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 8:22:55 PM

Doing some browsing in their forums is highly educational. It really seems like their goals are incredible and practical in functionality, even if the current system is going to fight them all the way. They want the power back with the people, where it belongs. The more people who attend and show up, stand up, and speak up, the more powerful this will become.

I plan on attending the event tomorrow and seeing just what they have to offer in person. I'd like to see America as it was and could be.
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 9:27:28 PM

Neurons: 39,933
We had a woman in Australian Politics a few years back.

Pauline Hanson from Queensland.

Had previously owned and operated a Fish & Chip Shop.
She was quite Right Wing, and started the 'Australia First Party'.
Her platform was mainly taxi driver type politics, Anti Immigration, Anti Aboriginal etc, not any Pro Policies other than Gun Laws.

Pauline received huge support, more because she was quite a striking red head, than for her policies.( its an Aussie thing)

Both sides of the House, were on her like a feeding frenzy in a shark pool.
I have never seen both sides of Government unite quite like it.

Great spectator sport. Where Polly Watching get pretty dull down here some times.
Freedom of Speech took a pounding when Pauline was around.

Just an aside from the Tea Party
Raparee
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 8:56:07 AM

For those interested, I did attend on Saturday. It was remarkable to see so many people (we had 20 to 30 show) viewing government not as the enemy, but something that we've allowed to stray and that we need to take control of again. We need to get it back on track, but without all the hate and vitriol of other groups. I shall be very interested to see how the group progresses and if it can, indeed, be effective while maintaining diplomacy and reasonable discourse.
Raparee
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 9:50:52 AM

I'm going to take a bit of a risk and bump this one up. Seems to me that with all the people talking amiably about actually trying to fix problems in various political threads, they might actually be interested in a group forming nationwide (US) to do exactly that. Who knows what could actually be accomplished.

They are having another meeting tomorrow at coffee shops around the US. Their site will tell you if any are local to you if you are interested (and there are even some for ex-pats around the world!).
nooblet
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 2:48:22 PM

Neurons: 4,778
I may have to check this out when I get home.