The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,825
No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.

Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)
sandeep patra
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 2:34:28 AM

Neurons: 122,829
no individual could control another being.....Every individual is INDEPENDENT
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 2:40:05 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Have to disagree, respectfully, sandeep. I work with people who exhibit almost no independent cogent thought whatsoever. Many are not good at thinking for themselves, and trust to others for guidance.

Sanity is not statistical
Joy Frohlich
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:07:07 AM

Neurons: 240,520
I think Abraham Lincoln was referring to government in the sense of passing laws. He did add the qualification "without that man's consent". Lots of people do willingly submit to be ruled by others, many wives want to be ruled by their husbands, also many seem to submit willingly to dictators, as in North Korea. As excaelis says, many people seem not to want to think for themselves.
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:55:29 AM

Neurons: 32,652
I think you'll find that many men consent to be ruled by their wives. That pot-belly isn't from beer, it's from swallowing pride.

Sanity is not statistical
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 5:23:19 AM

Neurons: 244,175
Daemon wrote:

As it is now, such consent guarantee nothing but a goodwill of governor in the best case and a good excuse for governor in the worst case.
pedro
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 5:41:41 AM

Neurons: 63,022

..but if you haven't a trade union to argue your case they'll get some token of consent anyway.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
mactoria
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 5:49:46 AM

Neurons: 1,494,536
This is Lincoln's basic philosophy for life and for governance --- we are all equal as people (different but equal) and have no right to govern another without his agreement, have no right to enslave for any reason.
JUSTIN Excellence
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 5:57:02 AM

Neurons: 2,787

Dear Boss,

We extend our thanks for the great patronage of Mr. President! I am taking the liberty of writing this comment wondering if it suits your saying's tribute.

In this...

In this lay the secret of their success before God and among men: faith in God, love for parents, fraternity among people and ethics at the service of the universe and of all beings.

Yours truly...
Justin

über laboratorium dauernd zur Naturtreue
Omar Mariani
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:02:52 AM

Neurons: 76,546
Even with the consent of others, it is not question of being good or bad, man is definitely not wise enough and will invariably pursue his own ends and personal advantage
Elorac
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:48:31 AM

Neurons: 223,771
excaelis wrote:
I think you'll find that many men consent to be ruled by their wives. That pot-belly isn't from beer, it's from swallowing pride.

Funny...nearly spat my coffee out Applause

A day without laughter... is a day wasted :-)
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:42:48 AM

Neurons: 5,457,595
This quote is about slavery, from "Peoria Speech, October 16, 1854" Peoria, Illinois

In this speech Abraham Lincoln explained his objections to the Kansas-Nebraska Act and resurrected his political career. In the speech Lincoln criticized popular sovereignty. Questioned how popular sovereignty could supersede the Northwest Ordinance and the Missouri Compromise. Lincoln dismissed arguments that climate and geography would keep slavery out of Kansas and Nebraska. Most importantly, Lincoln attacked the morality of slavery itself. Lincoln argued that the slaves were people, not animals, and consequently possessed certain natural rights. "If the negro is a man, why then my ancient faith teaches me that `all men are created equal;' and that there can be no moral right in connection with one man's making a slave of another."

Source: Neely, Mark E. Jr. 1982. The Abraham Lincoln Encyclopedia. New York: Da Capo Press, Inc.

Here the context:

he doctrine of self government is right---absolutely and eternally right---but it has no just application, as here attempted. Or perhaps I should rather say that whether it has such just application depends upon whether a negro is not or is a man. If he is not a man, why in that case, he who is a man may, as a matter of self-government, do just as he pleases with him. But if the negro is a man, is it not to that extent, a total destruction of self-government, to say that he too shall not govern himself? When the white man governs himself that is self-government; but when he governs himself, and also governs another man, that is more than self-government---that is despotism. If the negro is a man, why then my ancient faith teaches me that "all men are created equal;" and that there can be no moral right in connection with one man's making a slave of another.

Judge Douglas frequently, with bitter irony and sarcasm, paraphrases our argument by saying "The white people of Nebraska are good enough to govern themselves, but they are not good enough to govern a few miserable negroes!!"

Well I doubt not that the people of Nebraska are, and will continue to be as good as the average of people elsewhere. I do not say the contrary. What I do say is, that no man is good enough to govern another man, without that other's consent. I say this is the leading principle---the sheet anchor of American republicanism. Our Declaration of Independence says:

"We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, DERIVING THEIR JUST POWERS FROM THE CONSENT OF THE GOVERNED.

http://www.nps.gov/liho/historyculture/peoriaspeech.htm
bobjoe
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 10:17:57 AM

Neurons: 2,129
No one can force another person to do something
Vit Babenco
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 10:42:55 AM

Neurons: 512,431
consent leads to conformity.
Vit Babenco
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 10:45:31 AM

Neurons: 512,431
More often it's just acquiescence or indifference.
striker
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 12:16:54 PM

Neurons: 2,240,255
great man
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 2:20:39 PM

Neurons: 245,664
Daemon wrote:

No nation has ever received so much wisdom, in such a short time, from the sons and daughters of its earliest dawn.

Nor has any nation bitterly argued over that wisdom, ending in blatant disregarded for it, over the course of most its existence.
Gary98
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 2:26:35 PM

Neurons: 4,551,378
Daemon wrote:

Yes sir. and no country is good enough to govern another without the other's consent. Dictator and world police always think they know better than everyone else. They delude themselves thinking they are for the goodness of others when it's just for themselves.
gerry
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 2:35:00 PM

Neurons: 291,011
A good quote but little meaning by AL
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 2:57:22 PM

Neurons: 144,425
excaelis wrote:
Shame on you

Think A wise man follows a wise wife who is not a ruler but a godly life companion. A man who picks an unwise wife deserves to be ruled by her lack of wisdom, and that is where a big belly grows of indulgence in sex and food... lack of exercise, too. The same goes for woman's choice. A woman who picks an unwise husband deserves to be ruled by his lack of wisdom, and his big belly...
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:00:05 PM

Neurons: 37,072
This statement is so very true but here in America though the people have overwhelming spoken, the Radical & very sick Republicans will not listen.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:13:33 PM

Neurons: 144,425

Think Abraham meant the best, but it is up to every individual what he/she makes out of it.
The military have been notorious for doing unto other without other's consent. Only the intimidated ones do not want to see that military power lies in money and intimidation concealed under the deceiving name "intelligence."
Gary98
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:23:55 PM

Neurons: 4,551,378
Verbatim wrote:
Daemon wrote:

No nation has ever received so much wisdom, in such a short time, from the sons and daughters of its earliest dawn.

Nor has any nation bitterly argued over that wisdom, ending in blatant disregarded for it, over the course of most its existence.

can't agree with you more. it's tragic indeed for humankind.
elle16
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 4:39:40 PM

Neurons: 1,584
I don't think man has a right to govern another man with or without their consent. We're all imperfect and make mistakes again and again and again.
TB Turtle
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 10:12:51 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
It is a shame some would allow themselves to be bullied by a spouse, or anyone for that matter. It would be Hell on earth.

The people thrown into a despots prison I'm confident to say did Not consent.