The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Sir Oswald Mosley (1896) Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,584
Sir Oswald Mosley (1896)

Dubbed the 20th century's worst Briton by the BBC History Magazine, Mosley was a British politician who founded the British Union of Fascists, modeled upon the German and Italian fascist parties of the 1930s. Members adopted Nazi-style uniforms and promoted anti-Semitism. In 1940, Mosley and his second wife, Diana Guinness, a known friend of Adolf Hitler, were interned along with other prominent British fascists. Where had he and Guinness held their nuptials several years earlier? More...
Madas
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 12:39:33 AM

Neurons: 2,263,202
Idiot who has beaten a cat for resemblance to Hitler shoud have been born earlier - then he could beat Mosley.Eh?
Vit Babenco
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 1:57:16 AM

Neurons: 512,431
History is rich in freaks.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:46:11 AM

Neurons: 2,582,305
I'm not a British history buff, I'd never heard of him nor the battle of Cable street. This quote caught my attention, copy/pasted from the article:
Quote:
The Liberal Westminster Gazette wrote that Mosley was "the most polished literary speaker in the Commons, words flow from him in graceful epigrammatic phrases that have a sting in them for the government and the Conservatives. To listen to him is an education in the English language, also in the art of delicate but deadly repartee. He has human sympathies, courage and brains."[9

He sounds like an articulate orator, something we don't associate with politicians any more. This was what made him so dangerous.
If only he'd used his powers for good instead of evil. Whistle

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
thar
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 5:52:31 AM

Neurons: 82,832
This is one topic that has never really come up in random conversation with my history-buff family, but this is the impression I got.

Fascism itself was not that far-out at that time, whether in Britain, Europe or the US. You can understand people wanting strength after the world had fallen apart from underneath them in the Great War and the Great Depression. And the antisemitism had always been there, with the added incentive of a scapegoat. So a skillful orator with a message.

His mistake (apart from being a traitor and supporting the enemy) was in not understanding the obstinacy of the British. They don't do extremism. Cromwell was enough. And they believe too much in personal eccentricity to respect anyone peddling mass ideology and blind obedience and hero worship. Following the German/ Italian model of the paramilitary blackshirts turned him from a politician into a ridiculous ( but dangerous) thug with no class.

Just my lazily remembered image from conversations with family, family stories from those who served in the convoys and fought in the free army, navy and resistance.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 1:14:48 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Very interesting read, but does anyone else wonder about the discrepancy's that exist between then and now? "In 1940, Mosley and his second wife, Diana Guinness, a known friend of Adolf Hitler, were interned along with other prominent British fascists." But today, while those that aliened themselves with Pres. Bush & VP Dick Cheney walk free, and made money, while causing the death of over 1 million people, due to the illegal Iraqi war. Damn, what a sad & tragic world this has become.
striker
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 2:22:42 PM

Neurons: 2,240,255
traitor or extremist
TB Turtle
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 10:16:00 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
Extreme traitor.
excaelis
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 12:12:16 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Daftest uniforms ever.

Sanity is not statistical
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 6:27:16 AM

Neurons: 2,582,305
excaelis wrote:
Daftest uniforms ever.

Speaking as a heterosexual woman: those high black boots, black shirts, Oh & don't get me started on the SS & Gestapo uniforms, & those black leather trench coats, shiny silver buckles & buttons...
I know, they're all very bad men, & should be punished mercilessly. Speak to the hand

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:10:47 AM

Neurons: 63,022
ex Labour Party and son of a baronet and beloved by East End bigots. One of his sons was outed as an extreme S/M devotee(nb hence to frill emuWhistle ), whilst his son in turn o/d'd on heroin. Some families remind you of those in ancient Greek literature, cursed for generations.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst