The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Sound of Music Opens on Broadway (1959) Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,883
The Sound of Music Opens on Broadway (1959)

The Sound of Music, with a score by Richard Rodgers and lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II, opened on Broadway at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre. Mary Martin starred as Maria, and Theodore Bikel played the role of Captain Georg von Trapp. The Tony Award-winning production ran for 1,443 performances. Productions in London, Japan, and Australia followed, as did the phenomenally successful 1965 film, starring Julie Andrews. What are some of the differences between the stage and screen versions? More...
soundarya k
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 2:54:19 AM

Neurons: 21,827
I am the biggest fan of MUSIC. It is my soul. I can't live without it.
Quote:
Music gives, soul to the universe, wings to the minds, flight to the imagination and life to everything.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:53:42 AM

Neurons: 2,539,917
The 1965 movie is so cheesy by today's standards, I've never seen it live.

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 12:26:17 PM

Neurons: 5,358,769
Awards and Nominations
1960 Tony Award Nominations
winnerBest Musical
winnerBest Actress in a Musical - Mary Martin
winnerBest Featured Actress in a Musical - Patricia Neway
winnerBest Scenic Design (Musical)
winnerBest Conductor and Musical Director
Best Direction of a Musical
Best Featured Actress in a Musical - Lauri Peters, Kathy Dunn, Evanna Lien, Mary Susan Locke, Marilyn Robers, William Snowden, and Joseph Stewart
Best Featured Actor in a Musical - Theodore Bikel
Best Featured Actor in a Musical - Kurt Kasznar

1960 Theatre World Award Nominations
winnerLauri Peters

1998 Tony Award Nominations
Best Revival of a Musical

1998 Drama Desk Award Nominations
Outstanding Orchestrations

http://www.broadwaymusicalhome.com/shows/soundofmusic.htm
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 1:52:24 PM

Neurons: 37,072
You can only rave about the works by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein, what they produced due to their collaboration shall stay a living memory for a very long time. Thank you for this read as it has brought back fond memories of NYC's Broadway productions...
striker
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 2:20:10 PM

Neurons: 2,240,255
beautifully filmed in austria
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:38:41 PM

Neurons: 590,850
The Sound Of Music movie was a 'television Christmas blockbuster', at least in the 1980s as far as I know. We used to watch that exciting romantic movie with the family at about 9pm, and then I believe to remember that some of us would go to the midnight church service! The earth's climat was already warming up by then :-)
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 10:09:12 PM

Neurons: 144,425
The Sound of Music Opens on Broadway (1959)

The Sound of Music, with a score by Richard Rodgers and lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II, opened on Broadway at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre. Mary Martin starred as Maria, and Theodore Bikel played the role of Captain Georg von Trapp. The Tony Award-winning production ran for 1,443 performances. Productions in London, Japan, and Australia followed, as did the phenomenally successful 1965 film, starring Julie Andrews. What are some of the differences between the stage and screen versions? More...

Applause One of my children's favorites... did not quite understand the social class theme.
L.Rai
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 10:32:13 PM

Neurons: 1,313,375
There were several changes made to the original story to fit the play:

Details of the history of the von Trapp family were altered for the musical. The real Georg Ludwig von Trapp did live with his family in a villa in Aigen, a suburb of Salzburg, and Maria von Trapp had been sent to be a tutor to one of the children. Lindsey and Crouse altered the story so that Maria was governess to all of them. The names and ages of the children were also altered. The von Trapps spent some years in Austria after Maria and the Captain married and was offered a commission to Germany's navy. Since Von Trapp opposed the Nazis by that time the family left Austria after the Anschluss, they went by train to Italy and then traveled to London and the United States.[4] To make the story more dramatic, Lindsey and Crouse had the family, soon after Maria's and the Captain's wedding, escape over the mountains to Switzerland on foot.

The movie was released March 2, 1965 and I remember it very well. It was a huge hit but it was different from the play in a couple of ways, there are some songs in the play that are not in the movie and vice versa, also the movie allowed for incredible visuals that can't be duplicated on the stage.

For other trivia about The Sound of Music you can go to: http://www.the-sound-of-music-guide.com/sound-of-music-broadway.html

I didn't bother to see the latest made for TV version of this because in my opinion the 1965 movie is a classic and didn't need to be re-made.

There's also a tidbit that Julie Andrews was given this part after she was skipped over for the part of Eliza Doolittle in the movie version of "My Fair Lady". Personally, Eliza Doolittle will always be Audrey Hepburn, while Maria Von Trapp is forever in my mind Julie Andrews. It's a little like trying to imagine the movie "Gone with the Wind" without Clark Gable or Vivian Leigh in the leading roles or for that matter someone other than Judy Garland as Dorothy! It's just wrong. d'oh!

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"