The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Why Did Time Stop? Options
Dreamy
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 10:31:29 PM

Neurons: 7,723
I'm not sure if anyone will ever read this message but I write it in the hope that others have survived and I am not the only one left alive with no time.

Why did time stop? The question hangs above me everywhere I go and surfaces in everything I do.

Scientists had originally been guarded about the sketchy preliminary evidence that seemed to suggest time was slowing down, but none had predicted that it would stop altogether, and no-one was prepared for the event when it suddenly happened.

I had accepted that if we were getting ready to go out and my wife said "I won't be a minute", she was being truthful, and the joy I would have of waiting some time until we could leave together was a reward not to be refused, but the idea that time would one day slow to a halt was not one that I had seriously entertained until I found myself in this temporal void with no other explanation.

The first reports that seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, and years were slowly becoming longer in duration made little impact on the general public who regarded them as no more than the crazed imaginings of fantasists and conspiracy theorists. The science involved in testing every second for signs of elongation and distortion was so complex and costly that governments were unwilling to commit resources to it, and if it were not for the work of a secretive privately-funded technical institution, the problem would have remained unresearched.

All life around me is locked in STOP (Static Time Off Position), and while I am able to use my mind to complete any task I think to undertake, like all the other people here I have no bodily mobility and we all may as well be statues, everywhere frozen in time and defying the laws of gravity.

Planes and birds hang in the sky unmoving. Water and objects not at rest stay suspended and motionless. Facial expressions and conversations remain where they ceased, and all is quiet.

Time has stopped and I don't know why.

Time has stopped but my mind is free to roam.

I want to write more but I have no time while I seek an answer to the question that completely consumes me...the question that I must answer for the future of humanity...the question that I must answer in order to escape this lonely temporal void...and that question is:

"Why did time stop???"

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
JyotiDoshi
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 1:36:16 AM

Neurons: 64,593
Dreamy wrote:
I'm not sure if anyone will ever read this message but I write it in the hope that others have survived and I am not the only one left alive with no time.

Why did time stop? The question hangs above me everywhere I go and surfaces in everything I do.

Scientists had originally been guarded about the sketchy preliminary evidence that seemed to suggest time was slowing down, but none had predicted that it would stop altogether, and no-one was prepared for the event when it suddenly happened.

I had accepted that if we were getting ready to go out and my wife said "I won't be a minute", she was being truthful, and the joy I would have of waiting some time until we could leave together was a reward not to be refused, but the idea that time would one day slow to a halt was not one that I had seriously entertained until I found myself in this temporal void with no other explanation.

The first reports that seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, and years were slowly becoming longer in duration made little impact on the general public who regarded them as no more than the crazed imaginings of fantasists and conspiracy theorists. The science involved in testing every second for signs of elongation and distortion was so complex and costly that governments were unwilling to commit resources to it, and if it were not for the work of a secretive privately-funded technical institution, the problem would have remained unresearched.

All life around me is locked in STOP (Static Time Off Position), and while I am able to use my mind to complete any task I think to undertake, like all the other people here I have no bodily mobility and we all may as well be statues, everywhere frozen in time and defying the laws of gravity.

Planes and birds hang in the sky unmoving. Water and objects not at rest stay suspended and motionless. Facial expressions and conversations remain where they ceased, and all is quiet.

Time has stopped and I don't know why.

Time has stopped but my mind is free to roam.

I want to write more but I have no time while I seek an answer to the question that completely consumes me...the question that I must answer for the future of humanity...the question that I must answer in order to escape this lonely temporal void...and that question is:

"Why did time stop???"

I feel that the topic belongs to 'Philosophy and Religion' sub-forum.
ithink140
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:44:21 AM

Neurons: 17,922
I always feel that it is better to take some water with it, Dreamy... protects the liver and contributes to clear thinking.

'Life is too short to be eaten up by hate.'
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:47:13 AM

Neurons: 340,988
You will not find the answer until you first discover why and when time began.

I remember, therefore I am.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 5:15:05 AM

Neurons: 1,724,468
JyotiDoshi wrote:
I feel that the topic belongs to 'Philosophy and Religion' sub-forum.

I suspect Dreamy wants help with his/her new sci-fi novel, which is why it's posted in the Lit thread.

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
ithink140
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 6:53:08 AM

Neurons: 17,922
Why did time stop???"

To watch the chicken cross the road.

'Life is too short to be eaten up by hate.'
kasparijus
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 9:35:55 AM

Neurons: 174,194
Cause you asked for it!
IMcRout
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 10:19:13 AM

Neurons: 476,223
What? When? Where?

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Audiendus
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 10:45:10 AM

Neurons: 763,113
Dreamy wrote:

I don't think this idea really works if you want a coherent narrative. You cannot have a disconnect between thought and physical motion, because thought involves the motion of particles within the brain.
Luker4
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 2:28:23 PM

Neurons: 22,088
batteries in the clock died ? Think
Barnacle Barney Bill
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:31:15 PM

Neurons: 84,575
Chickens? Batteries? Do we have time for clever humor? Nay! Nay! I say! Stop sometime.
excaelis
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 12:38:39 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Perhaps you needed it to.

Sanity is not statistical
early_apex
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:18:49 PM

Neurons: 12,835
The sun stopped for Joshua so he could finish his battle, and time ran backward for king Hezekiah, as a sign that his life would be extended. That always reminds me of a video game: "bonus time".

In short, to suit God's purposes. :-)

"Shut up, she explained." - Ring Lardner
Dreamy
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 7:53:29 PM

Neurons: 7,723
The sequel to "WHY DID TIME STOP?" may be accessed by activating the following link: ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD

I hope you have time to read it.

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:38:35 AM

Neurons: 66,411
Perhaps somebody(your girl friend?) drugged you.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
TMe
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:41:36 AM

Neurons: 3,094
Please tell me why it shouldn't be;

Since the word 'time' is a noun,
Why did the time stop?

I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 8:17:13 AM

Neurons: 146,892
This is the definition of "time" in the Cambridge dictionary.

You will see that it is uncountable in the meaning used here.
Uncountable nouns do not need an article.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:30:45 PM

Neurons: 284,583
Hey guys! We have no time for this.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:56:03 PM

Neurons: 58,635
and nor have we!

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
TMe
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:07:26 PM

Neurons: 3,094
This is a hypothetical question. Time never stops.The moment, the time stopped there will be the catastrophe.

I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:36:10 PM

Neurons: 146,892
TMe wrote:
This is a hypothetical question. Time never stops.The moment, the time stopped there will be the catastrophe.

You're right - definitely hypothetical.

Personally, I would say "If time stopped there would be a catastrophe" or "The moment time stops there will be a catastrophe."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
thar
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:23:53 PM

Neurons: 63,047
Surely by definition if/when time stops, then nothing happens? Whistle

Just a response to recent posts - no disrespect to serious posting of OP.
Articulate Dreamer
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 1:45:11 PM

Neurons: 80,166
ithink140 wrote:
I always feel that it is better to take some water with it, Dreamy... protects the liver and contributes to clear thinking.

Applause Dancing d'oh!

Worth a see, Dreamy:
https://futurism.com/the-physics-of-stopping-time-2/

"...hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour"
isaaac
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 1:46:04 PM

Neurons: 35,887
OG Kush slows down Time a BitBoo hoo!