The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

inveigle Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 82,992
inveigle

(verb) To win over by coaxing, flattery, or artful talk.

Synonyms: cajole, coax, sweet-talk, wheedle

Usage: The salesman inveigled him so successfully that he paid twice the original price.
striker
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 8:54:04 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
i inveighled my boss for a vacation
monamagda
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 9:07:20 AM

Neurons: 5,272,839
When you tell your boyfriend he’s not just the best boyfriend ever but also the world's best driver, and this makes him offer to drive the whole way on your upcoming road trip, then congratulations. You know how to inveigle, or use charm to coax someone into doing something.

If you successfully inveigle your sister to doing something for you, she must be so caught up in your flattering that she is blind to your true intention. In fact, inveigle comes from the Middle French word aveugler, meaning “delude, make blind,” which can be traced back to the Medieval Latin word ab oculis, or “lacking eyes.” The people you inveigle don't see what you are really up to.

http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/inveigle
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 11:09:02 AM

Neurons: 37,072
There was a time when my abilities to inveigle an individual was exceptional, with the exception of when it came time to sell one of my art pieces. For the majority of my life, when it came time to price my art work, I would always place, what I considered a fair price, for my work. This was usually always then confronted with a buyer wanting to negotiate a much lower price, which I would respond to by increasing the price of that particular art piece. On many occasions I would respond with; "Is your name BOB? If so, well why don't you just, "Bob-up" and kiss my ass...." Yes, I never was an inveigled individual, as you all can plainly see. :-)
excaelis
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 8:02:00 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Imagine how many starving children could have been fed with the money paid for your art, which, I imagine, is not edible.

FFM, I have no personal axe to grind with you, but I have noticed that every time you comment on ( for example ) some esoteric scientific study ( comet landing, say ) you seem to bring up starving kids or some other ebola-related complaint. It never seems to occur to you that art doesn't feed anyone.

I have spent a good deal of time in the arts community and I find that the same kind of myopic thinking is quite prevalent. I believe that the arts are very important to society - sans culture we are merely smart monkeys - but I understand that people are starving because of global corporate greed, not because we as a society value scientific exploration or the arts.

As Jimmy Carr said " The entire third world could be fed for a year for the same cost as a week's groceries in the entire developed world. Which leads me to believe that we are paying way too much for our groceries."

Sanity is not statistical