The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Fyodor Dostoevsky (1821) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,557
Fyodor Dostoevsky (1821)

Dostoevsky was a literary giant whose works exhibit an uncanny grasp of human psychology and offer penetrating analyses of the political, social, and spiritual state of the Russia of his time. His best-known works include Crime and Punishment, a brilliant portrait of sin, remorse, and redemption, and The Brothers Karamazov, which tackles the issues of evil, freedom, and faith. Though granted a last-minute reprieve, Dostoevsky was sentenced to death in 1849 for what crime? More...
MechPebbles
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:46:19 AM

Neurons: 226,313
The world knows no greater writer.
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:52:18 AM

Neurons: 1,362,658
A Russian friend once told me that he'd read Crime but skipped Punishment. I think it was his way of saying the book was way too long.

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 1:35:38 AM

Neurons: 1,688,222
His books feel illusionary or hallucinatory. When you read them, you feel like you were in a dream, or in a dream-like reality, sometimes nightmarish. But curiously, it is exciting and even pleasant to read them. The world in Dostoyevsky's books is not black-and-white, his characters are not necessarily either good or evil. He makes you understand, how ordinary and seemingly normal people can commit horrible deeds, you can understand how they feel and so on. You may disagree with the author but reading his books is an unforgettable experience. I regard Dostoyevsky as one of the greatest writers in the world and he is one of my favourite authors, by the way.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:39:18 AM

Neurons: 2,582,305
Crime & Punishment too long? Don't try Tolstoy!
I hated The Brothers Karamazov with a passion! I forced myself just past the halfway mark, then I flung it from me. It scared me off Dostoyevsky for years. I could see the brilliance, but those people were so real, & so nasty & they were in my head! Only a brilliant novelist could create characters so real they could get in your head like someone you knew. Crime & Punishment - brilliant!

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
striker
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 10:25:45 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
the man could not stop writing
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 1:48:49 PM

Neurons: 5,526,580
Fyodor Dostoevsky is sentenced to death

"Life is in ourselves and not in the external," writes Fyodor Dostoevsky in a letter to his brother dated December 22, 1849. "To be a human being among human beings, and remain one forever, no matter what misfortunes befall, not to become depressed, and not to falter--this is what life is, herein lies its task." (The Brothers Karamazov, translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky, xii)

This passage was written immediately after Dostoevsky underwent the traumatic experience that Tsar Nicholas I ordered for several prisoners condemned to death for involvement in revolutionary activities--a mock execution in Semyonovsky Square, a staged performance so terrifyingly real that it induced insanity within one of the author's fellow prisoners.The quote is evidence of Dostoevsky's strength of character; his would be a difficult life-living in bleak poverty, he would helplessly watch as many of the people closest to him died from the ailments of the poor. It also exposes the significant flaw common to some of his characters and tragic heroes--through despair, and weakness before the weight of misfortune, they falter, and commit barbaric acts that render them unfit to operate within the context of humanity. This is the case with both Baklushkin and Shishkov from The House of the Dead, as well as with Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment.

His sentence was commuted to four years in prison and four years of army service. His prison experiences, as well as his life after prison among the urban poor of Russia, would provide a vivid backdrop for much of his later work. Released from his imprisonment and service by 1858, he began a fourteen-year period of furious writing, in which he published many significant texts.

(Biography written by Pauls Toutonghi, a former student of Tom Beyer's Russian Literature class at Middlebury College)
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:15:36 PM

Neurons: 37,072
A great author, and I believe a great man, as well..........