The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Corfu Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,985
Corfu

Corfu is a Greek island in the Ionian Sea, off the coast of Albania. The second largest of the Ionian Islands, Corfu rises 2,980 feet (910 m) at Mt. Pantokrator in the northeast but is largely a fertile lowland producing olive oil, figs, wine, and citrus fruit. The island has been identified with Scheria, the island of the Phaeacians in Homer's Odyssey. It was settled around 730 BCE by Corinthian colonists. What Empress of Austria commissioned the building of a summer palace there? More...
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:45:03 AM

Neurons: 1,417,272
The answer to the question is:

The Achilleion is a palace commissioned by Elisabeth of Austria and purchased in 1907 by Wilhelm II of Germany; it is now a popular tourist attraction.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:15:55 AM

Neurons: 2,589,153
I liked discovering its context in Homers The Iliad. Copy/pasted from the article:
Quote:
In the mythical sea adventure of Homer's Odyssey, Kerkyra is the island of the Phaeacians, (Phaiakes) wherein Odysseus (Ulysses) meets Nausica, the daughter of King Alkinoos. The bay of Palaiokastritsa is considered to be the place where Odysseus disembarked.[76]

Nausicaa is such a sickening name. It's hard to get 'nausea' out of my mind when I read of her.
striker
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 9:55:29 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
the whole history of corfu was conquest by other nationc
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 1:28:01 PM

Neurons: 5,676,457
History In Corfu - The Achillion Palace

The Achilleion Palace was built by Empress of Austria Elisabeth of Bavaria, also known as Sisi. Elisabeth was a woman obsessed with beauty. She had a very powerful, but tragically vulnerable character since the loss of her only son, Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria in 1889. A year later in 1890, she built a summer palace in the region of Gastouri, now the municipality of Achilleion, about ten kilometres to the south of the city of Corfu. The central theme of the palace is the mythical hero Achilles. Elisabeth spoke fluent Greek and expressed a desire to further immerse herself in the Greek culture. Like every other European royal, she had some Byzantine emperors among her distant ancestors. Elisabeth was given the property by Corfiot Petros Vrailas Armenis who was rewarded by Elisabeth with a large diamond-encrusted brooch to be passed down to the wife of the eldest son.

The palace was designed by Italian architect Raffaele Caritto. Ernst Herter, a famous German sculptor, was commissioned to create works inspired from Greek mythology. His famous sculpture Dying Achilles, created in Berlin in 1884 as inscribed in the statue, forms the centrepiece of the Achilleion Gardens. The palace surrounded with classic Greek statues is a monument to platonic romanticism as well as escapism and was, naturally, named after Achilles: Achilleion. The place abounds with paintings and statues of Achilles, both in the main hall and in the lavish gardens depicting the heroic and tragic scenes of the Trojan war. The architectural style is Pompeian and has many parallels to that of the Russian imperial residence in Crimea.

http://in-corfu.com/historic/achillion.html
rogermue
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 1:55:31 PM

Neurons: 34,900
Thanks for the interesting link, Monamagda. The pictures are impressive.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:00:54 PM

Neurons: 150,619
Corfu

Corfu is a Greek island in the Ionian Sea, off the coast of Albania. The second largest of the Ionian Islands, Corfu rises 2,980 feet (910 m) at Mt. Pantokrator in the northeast but is largely a fertile lowland producing olive oil, figs, wine, and citrus fruit. The island has been identified with Scheria, the island of the Phaeacians in Homer's Odyssey. It was settled around 730 BCE by Corinthian colonists. What Empress of Austria commissioned the building of a summer palace there? More...

Dancing Certainly a place of great natural beauty! I have not had a chance to go there, but I was awestruck as I drove along the Peloponnesian coast thirty years ago.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 5:28:24 PM

Neurons: 37,072
After the last election I am seriously considering becoming an expatriate of this very sick, uneducated, Radically Religious/Christian (stupid) Right populous, or more aptly put, totally symbolic of the unwashed masses. This area seems, Corfu is a Greek island in the Ionian Sea, ideal. Anyone there interested in giving this artist, a little more then, "a leg up", as the saying goes. My art studio equipment alone would fill a very large shipping container while my existing art would fill another, as I would/will leave nada here as this country deserves nothing on mine... As now the elected sick fuc*s are attempting to remove universal health care for the poor and middle class; they ban books or rewrite them, similar to Nazi Germany and they are now punishing pregnant women... What a very sick country, this vile United States of America.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 5:28:25 PM

Neurons: 37,072
After the last election I am seriously considering becoming an expatriate of this very sick, uneducated, Radically Religious/Christian (stupid) Right populous, or more aptly put, totally symbolic of the unwashed masses. This area seems, Corfu is a Greek island in the Ionian Sea, ideal. Anyone there interested in giving this artist, a little more then, "a leg up", as the saying goes. My art studio equipment alone would fill a very large shipping container while my existing art would fill another, as I would/will leave nada here as this country deserves nothing on mine... As now the elected sick fuc*s are attempting to remove universal health care for the poor and middle class; they ban books or rewrite them, similar to Nazi Germany and they are now punishing pregnant women... What a very sick country, this vile United States of America.
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:29:30 PM

Neurons: 42,315
Corfu looks like a nice place.