The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Guatemala All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,883
Guatemala All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day

Throughout Latin America, All Saints' Day, November 1, and All Souls' Day, November 2, are treated like a single holiday. In Guatemala, the villagers of Todos Santos stretch these celebrations honoring the dead into a three-day-long affair by adding October 31. The highlight of the festival is the wild horse races, in which many of the riders have been drinking since the previous night. In the town of Santiago Sacatepéquez, people fly huge kites in the graveyard, and many attach prayers and notes for their deceased loved ones to the kites' tails. More...
AnjanaDutt
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 12:41:10 AM

Neurons: 12,437
Wow! They certainly know how to honour their dead!
TB Turtle
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 1:44:01 AM

Neurons: 4,068,781
Think I would skip the celebration in Peru. Here we light candles in church, pray and sing hymns....no urine sprinkling.
Alenka
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 5:33:08 AM

Neurons: 183,010
AnjanaDutt wrote:
Wow! They certainly know how to honour their dead!

Applause
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 8:52:17 AM

Neurons: 2,539,917
Quote:
All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day (Peru)
November 1-2
In parts of Peru, the normally solemn celebration of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day gives way to some lively courtship rituals. In Arequipa and Cuzco, for example, many of the young men deliver cakes in the form of a baby, decorated with colored candies to their sweetheart's home. There they hold a mock baptismal ceremony in which they play the role of godfather. This entering into the ritual relationship of compadrazgo, or godfathership, often paves the way for marriage later on. On November 2 the young men of Tomaiquiche village visit their girlfriends' homes at dawn to sing to them. The girls reward their suitors by opening a window or door and dousing them with drops of urine. Although this may not seem like a traditional token of love, urine is kept in a closed container in some homes because it is believed to have curative powers.

It's not April Fools Day, wtf? Are they taking the piss?

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
monamagda
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 12:36:30 PM

Neurons: 5,358,769
The dead are the guests of honor

Santiago Sacatepequez is located just 40 minutes from Guatemala city. On November 2nd, All Saints' Day, this town celebrates a festival with giant kites.
This celebration is realized in the cemetery of the town. I always thought that the cemetery is a place where the people felt sad, but I changed my mind when I visited the cemetery of Santiago, Sacatepequez.

According to their tradition, the kites are flown to raise the souls of the dead to Heaven and to turn away evil spirits. The inhabitants of Santiago, Sacatepequez believe that on November 2nd they can communicate with their dead and send good messages on the kites. For this reason, they design beautiful kites with many colors to communicate messages of happiness.

This tradition is unique and special because on this day nobody is sad. Instead, all the people are happy, and the time that they share is a good time for all the family and for visitors.
http://www.topics-mag.com/internatl/holidays/halloween/all-saints.htm
striker
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 5:06:07 PM

Neurons: 2,240,255
corruption in out of control
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 8:50:34 PM

Neurons: 37,072
I too pay homage to my dead relative's but do so by using their tools as I make my art pieces and then share my work through exhibitions.