The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

nonce Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,557
nonce

(noun) The present or particular occasion.

Synonyms: time being

Usage: Her tendency to discover a touch of sadness had for the nonce disappeared.
JUSTIN Excellence
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:34:00 AM

Neurons: 2,787

It is the nonce for music, and in every carriage the noise of flutes are still sounding as they enter the palace gates ... What Paradise?! What abode of Gods? They wondered could be more enchanting than the snow-covered gardens of Princess Rosalyn's gardens ... through which we are now being drawn?

über laboratorium dauernd zur Naturtreue
thar
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:36:35 AM

Neurons: 82,805
Ah, OK, they mean that sort of nonce. I was wondering what they were going to use for a quotation. For a minute I thought the site was going downhill! Silenced
maroo
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:57:38 AM

Neurons: 409,756
Sister Carrie
Bryn Kinnaird
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:42:55 AM

Neurons: 25,238
A Nonce is a dirt bag sex offender. I don't know if that drags this site downhill, but there it is.
excaelis
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:29:03 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Yeah, we kinda knew that, Bryn.

Sanity is not statistical
dispossessed
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:05:48 AM

Neurons: 108,480
I think it is quite important for speakers of languages other than English to know that the word nonce is never used here except aas the description o a convicted offender, and it is such a bad term of abuse that it would cause trouble to try to use it to describe anything or anyone else.
The descriptive meaning is so archaic as to have passed completely out of usage.

What makes you think feelings aren't facts?
excaelis
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:19:42 AM

That's sad. It's a word I use occasionally in its original sense, also in the sense of " nonsense ", as in " nonce word ".

monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:50:49 AM

Neurons: 5,526,580

Nonce word

A nonce word is a lexeme created only "for the nonce" to solve an immediate problem of communication that is not expected to recur.[1][2] Quark, for example, was formerly a nonce word in English, appearing only in James Joyce's Finnegans Wake.

An example of a nonce word in the works of Shakespeare is "honorificabilitudinitatibus".

Nonce words are often created as part of pop culture and advertising campaigns. A poem by Seamus Heaney entitled "Nonce Words" is included in his collection "District and Circle".

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Nonce+word
rossalicia
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:52:13 AM

Neurons: 55,870
"A nonce word is one coined 'for the nonce'--made up for one occasion and not likely to be encountered again. When Lewis Carroll coined it, frabjous was a nonce word. Neologisms are much the same thing, brand-new words or brand-new meanings for existing words, coined for a specific purpose. Analogy, especially with familiar words or parts of speech, often guides the coiner, and occasionally these words will enter the standard vocabulary."
(Kenneth G. Wilson, The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. Columbia University Press, 1993)

striker
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:49:36 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
nonce is a good wrote to sadness
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:01:30 PM

Neurons: 2,582,305
I'm glad dispossessed made that point to foreigners who might use this word in a conversation, This is a strange choice for word of the day - you'll only come across 'nonce' in Shakespeare & the like.

Nonce is a term for a child molester? I've NEVER heard the word in that context - that must be British slang. In Aussie slang: a 'nonce' is an idiot; a child molester is a 'kiddie fiddler' or a 'rock spider'.

I'm going to try to call someone a 'nonce' today, & see what kind of reaction I get.

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
johnfl
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:51:28 PM

Neurons: 404,321
ANOUNCE THE DIRTY WORD. PRONOUNCE THE FILTHY WORD. NOT QUITE AN OUNCE. GENERAL DEMUR.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:27:39 PM

Neurons: 37,072
This is very interesting, all of the different interoperation's of how this word is and has been used. What prompted it to be offered as the "word of the day"? Yes, there is the old English definition which Shakespeare would have used, but having spent more then a few years in law enforcement, arresting predators, I have never come across this term being used in a derogatory context, regarding sex offenders. But while studying Shakespeare in undergraduate school, I do remember hearing it used, but then that was over 50 years ago. Could it be that someone working at this site is attempting to "pull-your-chain", Bryn Kinnaird???
dispossessed
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:01:32 PM

Neurons: 108,480
It was common prison slang in the UK, made popular by crime drama etc . . . . it is a UK usage i was refering to. Just a bad idea to call anyone a nonce.

What makes you think feelings aren't facts?
thar
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:41:10 PM

Neurons: 82,805
Actually, personally I wouldn't think of it as sex offender, but as a derogatory term for a gay man, from the point of view of the homophobe that all such men were a 'danger' to young boys or somehow dangerous to 'real men'. (Like, how!?)
But it is not (happily) a common word -so my personal interpretation is not exactly tested by experience. Rather dated, I would have thought? But certainly not as dated as the 'now' nonce in the OP.

I know tfd does not set itself up to be a learner's site, but that is one part of the forum that now exists. And presumably people also use word of the day just to broaden their vocabulary. I think they should signal a bit more if a word is archaic. Keep them as word of the day (after all, broadening vocabulary occurs at every level) but signal when it is archaic or at least not in common usage.

It is just a bit unfortunate that that perfectly good word got hijacked by a derogatory meaning.
MelissaMe
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:44:11 PM

Neurons: 347,528
I have both heard and read 'for the nonce' used in conversation meaning for the moment. I've never heard nor read it used in any other way, and I've read thousands of books, dozens of them by British authors.

This is my only now.
L.Rai
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:54:15 PM

Neurons: 1,362,658
I am often amused at how a word will mutate. Words I used as a child now have totally different meanings. As a child "gay" meant something or someone was joyful, but today it has come to mean something that has nothing related to "joy" in that sense.

I also get a kick out of differences in how we use the English language depending on location. I personally didn't know that in the UK "nounce" had bad connotation attached to it. To be honest I've never used the word. I still remember when I first came to China and they taught the children here to say "rubber" to mean "eraser". When a 6 year old first told me that he'd lost his "rubber" I had to take a moment to figure out what he could possibly mean, then I realized the poor child had lost his pencil eraser. I just love UK English! Whistle

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
MelissaMe
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:09:45 PM

Neurons: 347,528
I know what you mean, LRai. I keep wishing someone would ask me if I'm gay - so I can reply -"Nah! I'm not even feeling particularly cheerful!". =*___*=

I'm almost certain there are no dirty words, just unpleasant people with dirty minds.

This is my only now.
L.Rai
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:26:47 PM

MelissaMe wrote:
I know what you mean, LRai. I keep wishing someone would ask me if I'm gay - so I can reply -"Nah! I'm not even feeling particularly cheerful!". =*___*=

I'm almost certain there are no dirty words, just unpleasant people with dirty minds.

Melissa:

I wince now every year when I sing "Deck the Halls" and I get to the verse that says; "...don we now our gay apparel..." The images I have (I tend to be very visual) make me want to laugh.

excaelis
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 2:17:48 AM

Santa in chaps and a red leather thong ? Fabulous, dahling !

NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:08:48 AM

LRai wrote:
MelissaMe wrote:

Melissa:

I wince now every year when I sing "Deck the Halls" and I get to the verse that says; "...don we now our gay apparel..." The images I have (I tend to be very visual) make me want to laugh.

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! This is terrible, I sing this line at the top of my lungs & do the wrist movement every time!

excaelis wrote:

At Christmas in Australia, we all wear thongs because it's hot as buggery. Of course, you call them flip-flops.

I was going to call someone a 'nonce' today to see what reaction I got, but I forgot. Brick wall

excaelis
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:55:54 AM

Wrong thong, NHF

NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 4:08:04 AM

excaelis wrote:
Wrong thong, NHF

You don't want to get the wrong thong! I know when I get out of the pool if I slip on someone else's, & try to walk, but go all skewwhiff before I realise - Oh I hate that! You're so right excaelis, you've don't want to get the wrong thong!

L.Rai
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:30:00 AM

excaelis wrote:

OMG!!!! Now that's a visual I could have lived without...LOL I thought I'd seen just about everything having grown up in Hollywood...thanks for the laugh.