The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

US Congressional panel claims Turkey committed genocide Options
Geeman
Posted: Saturday, March 6, 2010 6:46:38 PM

Neurons: 125,022
Three articles on this issue:

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/US_Congressional_panel_claims_Turkey_committed_genocide

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iqMuEw22sqZZh0YrdQgJ1pVxFr5Q

http://www.armenianweekly.com/2010/03/05/armenia-welcomes-house-foreign-relations-committee-vote/

Personally, I think it's about time this genocide be officially recognized as a genocide. 1.5 million people don't just up and die without a little help, and the existence of a couple dozen death camps is a pretty good indicator of national policy supporting the murders.

Turkey has been interested in getting in the EU for a while, and many Europeans I've spoken to are against that nation being allowed in. They don't seem to cite this particular issue as a reason why... but I think it's as good a reason as any other. That the Turkish government still refuses to acknowledge the event is something that should be a deal breaker for any extension of diplomatic and trade agreements with that nation.
kaleem
Posted: Saturday, March 6, 2010 9:02:39 PM

Neurons: 9,948
Thanks Geeman, for these links.
Yes, now the diplomatic ties between US and Turkey are hanging by a thread.

MarySM
Posted: Saturday, March 6, 2010 9:39:14 PM

Neurons: 6,084
It is never too late to right a wrong. I have some Armenian ancestors and I do believe that Turkey committed genocide. As for Turkey withdrawing their ambassador, well someone once said that ambassadors are “honest men sent abroad to lie for their countries.”
shkaratas
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 4:48:46 AM

Neurons: 3
The armenian genocide is a tall lie fabricated by villians who killed innocent Turks in the region during the strife in WW1.My ancestors live in the region where so-called genocide committed.On contrary when u go there you will see mass graves where slayed Turks lay.Why do you think that Armenians were forced to immigrate to other lands? Coz they killed many innocent people there under the protection of Russia,and of other western countries.I can give the location of this mass graves:One in Alaca village near Erzurum,my home town,other Zeytun near Kahranmaras Where I worked as a teacher.If you want to look at the near killings committed by Armenian gangs,Hocali is a good example.During Karabagh war under the protection of Russia they massacred all Azeri Turks in the region.So how dare this cheeky people try to twist the realities and try to decieve whole world.If they are really after the realities,they should accept Turkey's proposal to form a committe to investigate the incidents.They dont accept that coz they know that what all they say is a tall lie.
chitta chatta
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 7:25:07 AM

Neurons: 1,183
I like the few Turkish people I've met, but I'm convinced of the Armenian atrocities caused on the grounds of their different religious belief to the Ottoman empire by a different race 50 years ago, as I am convinced of atrocities by past Australians against our native population. Turkey is not the first to apologise. Due to the time in history that it happened, it took over 200 years before Australia apologised to our original Australians; And, it took over 50 years for Britain to apologise to the English-children born during/after the last World War; Therefore, I hope that Turkey doesn't feel the need to delay what is the most likely and best outcome for all Turks and Armenians - apologise, and move forward to where we are. Don't continue living in the past by brushing this aside.
Christine
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:52:21 AM

Neurons: 15,842
I watched a documentary on this. It is true.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 11:47:34 AM

Neurons: 1,222
Geeman:

The links provided were helpful. The blogs sponsored by the links are so innumerable that one could possibly read them all in one take.

The historical truth behind this massacre may be true or may not be.
American congressional committee is not and should not be the deciding arm.

Today, Ahmadinejad did his Fatwa routine by declaring that
the facts behind our 9/11 incident is a "big lie". Imagine China
declaring it to be true and the resultant reaction from us!

In the international arena the playing fields may not be in level but
that does not give us the right to referee's post.

Under the pretext of wars we have committed many genocides in the world,yet no country in the world has proclaimed officially that we did.

You know Why? because we have instilled a mortal fear in them by wielding our military prowess and showing a faux-moral superiority.

I am afraid it is going to backfire on us during a vulnerable stretch.
Andante
Posted: Sunday, March 7, 2010 1:30:16 PM

Neurons: 478
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, March 8, 2010 7:02:06 AM

Neurons: 39,933
I am not going to contribute to this post as I don't have enough knowledge on the history.

However!!!!

On the 25th April 1915, Australian & New Zealand troops were landed at Anzac Cove, in Turkey.

Australia was under British Command in those years, thankfully that was changed to Aust Command.
The British Commander sent the troops to the wrong landing beach. A beach so steep, that to take ground was suicidal.

The loss of life was 26,000 Australian & New Zealanders, & 8,000 Turks.

Genocide or just a military blunder with not one hung.

The courage of the ANZACS has forged the spirit of Australian & New Zealand Soldiers ever since.
maverickwoman
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:10:38 PM

Neurons: 352
Hello people,
Hopefully I would give you some information that s totally unknown for most of people on this issue. First of all I should say that I am such an openminded and objective person to accept a disgrace like this and I would easily apologise from Armenian people personally if it was the case.When you call it as 'Genocide' it does not project the historical truth.It was a war and unfortunatelly people killed each other, many people died Armenian and Turkish. And also Ottoman empire was a multicultural structure.Greeks, Bulgarians,Pers people, Kurdish people,Arabic people and some European nations lived there &22 years in peace. So there was no racism like that.I cannot say Ottoman Empire was flawless and did nothing discriminative.We should criticise about it in the condition of their era but we should learn the historical truths first.You all can learn about it by an internet research. Please do not think I am judging things in a subjective way just because I am Turkish.I have many friends Armenian and we get along well. Also I am open to learn more,if you know something I do not I d like to learn...
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 12:57:11 AM

Good for you, then you are well named.
maverickwoman
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 5:28:22 PM

Neurons: 352
You meant 'maverickwoman'? the nickname of me?
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 9:14:20 PM

Yes, a woman who speakes her mind.
Good for you !