The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Jimmy Carter (1924) Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,395
Jimmy Carter (1924)

Carter served as US President from 1977 to 1981. His foreign policy had some success—he mediated the Camp David Accords between Israel and Egypt and signed a treaty with Panama regarding control of the Panama Canal—but his domestic policy was less effective, and oil-related inflation and unemployment hurt his bid for re-election. He has since been active in human-rights causes and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002. In 2007, Carter earned a Grammy Award for best album in what category? More...
Bryn Kinnaird
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:43:52 AM

Neurons: 25,238
the most decent president America has had in modern times, a good man.
moniquester
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:44:50 AM

Neurons: 87,227
Happy Birthday, Jimmy Carter!

Be the change you wish to see in the world!-Gandhi
socratoad
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 7:00:10 AM

Neurons: 161,303
Bryn Kinnaird wrote:
the most decent president America has had in modern times, a good man.

I agree, unfortunately an honest man is like a fish out of water ln Washington.
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:08:11 AM

Neurons: 596,642
It's good to look into the past, as a reflection of, or to compare with today. I think the actual President is quite good, too.
JUSTIN Excellence
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:10:04 AM

Neurons: 2,787

Happy Birthday Mr. President! Such a great honor to wish your 90th Birthday! Years are but counters for the depth, wisdom and meaning of life. May you live longer and prosper...

über laboratorium dauernd zur Naturtreue
curmudgeonine
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:30:42 AM

Neurons: 170,308
2007 saw Carter win a Grammy for Best Spoken Word album
Alice M Toaster
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:19:36 AM

Neurons: 1,389,383
I've read some of his books, and enjoyed them. Interesting and informative writer.

Just trying to figure out the difference between
Gary98
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:32:43 AM

Neurons: 4,615,938
Jimmy Carter is a better president than many if not the most. Definitely more principled than Barack Obama. He doesn't need the Hollywood stuff, and probably doesn't play golf much.

"Carter is widely considered a better man than he was a president." Should he be advised by GWB if that is possible? US has not known its really strength yet. It is President like Carter that has made US strong, not weak.
MHammer58
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:49:18 AM

Neurons: 8

Jimmy Carter was a decent man, however he was, until Obama came along, the worst President in the last century. His decisions to allow the Iranian Revolutionary Guard to hold our embassy and the hostages, allowed the Theocracy of Iran to flourish and now they are threat to the entire world. His decisions have made today's world a much more dangerous place. So if being a decent man was what made a decent President, then he was, But his so called decency has continued to cost the US over and over on the world stage.

MHammer58
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:15:36 PM

Neurons: 55,284
Carter was the best person we could have hoped for to be president. Unfortunately, he was too moral, too ethical and too much of a decent human being to be able to make change in Washington.

He opened my eyes to how sick, twisted, malicious and debilitatingly stupid the vast majority of politicians and lobbyists are in DC.

Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 1:44:39 PM

Neurons: 37,072
This great man was and is the best ever President out country ever had. Sadly he was not able to do the positive things he could/would have done because of the corruption that existed in Washington at that time. Now we are really able to see just how corrupt our political system has become and just maybe the American public will wake up before there is another revolution...
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:07:55 PM

Neurons: 245,814
Birthdays come and go, what's in between that matters. Happy Birthday to Jimmy Carter!
johnfl
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:44:31 PM

Neurons: 395,324
HE IS MORE THAN A BUILDER OF TRUST AND UNITER OF PEOPLE. A TRUE DUER OF WHAT HE FORSEES.
early_apex
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:44:38 PM

Neurons: 12,855
Quote from Wikipedia:

"His administration suffered from his inexperience in politics. Carter paid too much attention to detail. He frequently backed down from confrontation and was quick to retreat when attacked by political rivals. He appeared to be indecisive and ineffective, and did not define his priorities clearly. He seemed to be distrustful and uninterested in working with other groups, or even with Congress when controlled by his own party, as well as fellow Democratic senators which he denounced for being controlled by special interest groups.[163] Though he made efforts to address many of these issues in 1978, the approval he won from his reforms did not last long."

Carter was not a good president, and his time in office was not a good time for the U.S. I still remember my 18% car loan and my 12% mortgage. The bank called me frequently trying to get me to refinance my house at a higher rate because they were losing money with my 12% loan.

"Beware the swamp rabbit."

"Shut up, she explained." - Ring Lardner
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:47:30 PM

He was hands down the best person we've had in the White House to show us not only how it should be done, but also showed us how malice and ignorance were and still are the rule and not the exception in Washington.

Dialectrum
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 5:50:29 PM

Neurons: 17,968
Good song = "If I Were President" by Wyclef Jean
striker
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:01:52 PM

Neurons: 2,240,255
one of the smartest president. a phd in nuclear physics
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:13:24 PM

Neurons: 5,513,555
Jimmy Carter who served as the 39th US president won his first Grammy in 2007. His book and subsequent audiobook were entitled Our Endangered Value: America's Moral Crisis. The books focus on moral values and how they affect major daily issues. He uses his personal experiences and Christian views to further expand on his points. Jimmy Carter was also nominated for a Grammy in 2008 for his efforts in Sunday Morning in Plains: Bringing Peace to a Changing World however, he was beaten by Obama.

The Grammy for Best Spoken Word Album Jimmy Carter a Spoken Word wizard. Since 1997, Carter has been nominated six times in the Spoken Word category, winning once.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/11/the-liberal-history-of-the-grammys-spoken-word-category/

Gary98
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:44:33 PM

Neurons: 4,615,938
MHammer58 wrote:

Jimmy Carter was a decent man, however he was, until Obama came along, the worst President in the last century. His decisions to allow the Iranian Revolutionary Guard to hold our embassy and the hostages, allowed the Theocracy of Iran to flourish and now they are threat to the entire world. His decisions have made today's world a much more dangerous place. So if being a decent man was what made a decent President, then he was, But his so called decency has continued to cost the US over and over on the world stage.

I heard Reagon is pulling the string on Iran to get elected, and Iran got the ball to hold the hostage.
progpen
Posted: Thursday, November 6, 2014 4:21:38 PM

Gary98 wrote:
MHammer58 wrote:

I heard Reagon is pulling the string on Iran to get elected, and Iran got the ball to hold the hostage.

Yes, Reagan made sure the hostages did not get released until after the election.