The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Hispanic Heritage Month Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,883
Hispanic Heritage Month

Since 1989, National Hispanic Heritage Month has been celebrated in the US from September 15 until October 15. It is issued as a presidential proclamation each year. The activities that take place during the month, particularly in cities with large Hispanic populations, focus on how Latinos have made the US a richer and more interesting place to live. They include performances by Latino musical groups, lectures about Hispanic life, and special awards presentations to Latinos who have made significant achievements in business, education, or the arts. More...
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:53:35 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Really popular in AZ, no doubt.

Sanity is not statistical
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:03:04 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Some people are really tired of all these heritage days in the United States.

People should not be ashamed of their heritage nor should they be especially proud of it.

People are what they are. No one had a choice of heritage.

They should all try to live up to American values.

They should forget about "celebrating" their heritage, be they from Mexico, Ireland, etc.

Everyone should celebrate only one heritage: AMERICAN.
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:03:06 AM

Duplicate
Dialectrum
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:20:59 AM

Neurons: 17,968
TheParser wrote:

People should not be ashamed of their heritage nor should they be especially proud of it.

They should forget about "celebrating" their heritage, be they from Mexico, Ireland, etc.

Exactly!

You escaped your native country for a reason...
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:16:15 PM

Neurons: 42,315
Happy Hispanic Heritage Month!
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:22:38 PM

TheParser wrote:
People should not be ashamed of their heritage nor should they be especially proud of it....Everyone should celebrate only one heritage: AMERICAN.

I disagree. America isn't so much a melting pot as a nice stew. There isn't just one set of homogenized values. America is made up of diverse people that have come together. Ignoring differences don't make them go away. If you ignore differences, you're unable to tolerate and accept them, let alone appreciate and celebrate them.
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:24:29 PM

Dialectrum wrote:
[quote=TheParser]You escaped your native country for a reason...

Unless you're Native American, what heritage does that leave you to celebrate?
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:07:40 PM

S. Miranda-Hess wrote:
America isn't so much a melting pot as a nice stew.

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, the United States has been described as more of a salad bowl than a melting pot.

I feel that it should be a melting pot.

It is my opinion that a country can only be truly happy if there is a dominant culture.

Of course, we cannot discuss this topic in a single post.

But I believe that our country is becoming unhappier every day because there are so many different cultures, each with different ideas about what is right and wrong.

Have a nice day!

James

tunaafi
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:18:51 PM

Neurons: 53,503
TheParser wrote:
It is my opinion that a country can only be truly happy if there is a dominant culture.

1. Why?
2. If we get a satisfactory answer to that question, what should be the 'dominant culture' in America?
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:09:12 PM

People can do the "right" thing for a lot of different reasons. There are a lot of good values that aren't mutually exclusive. The US is too big for a culture that applies to all regions and different cultures live in harmony within regions every day. What's more, there are so many beautiful things about different cultures: music, food, dance, traditional clothing, art, literature, architecture... Forgetting heritage would be ignoring the complexity of the human experience.
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:26:30 PM

I think the US suffers from an overemphasis on money and material wealth--trying to keep up with the Joneses. As a result, a lot of people feel stressed and isolated. Most people would benefit from embracing a community of independent thinkers and appreciating differences. There are many activities that can be enjoyed across all cultures:
Quote:
looking at a beautiful sunset, listening to music, interacting with friends, expressing and receiving love and friendship, sharing past experiences with each other, reading, sitting quietly and feeling peace, taking a walk alone or with a friend, practicing whatever spiritual program we individually may find rewarding, balancing our individual competitiveness with a sense of sharing and community, and so forth.

These suggested activities come from one of my old engineering textbooks called Sustainable Energy by Tester, J., et al. You can have different cultures and still share a lot of positive values.
nkelsey
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:40:39 PM

Neurons: 192,145
Applause
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:51:52 PM

Neurons: 37,072
One of my most enjoyable times while living in NYC, great music, food & flavor. We truly have enriched our couture by the wonderful influx of Hispanics.
Gary98
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:17:52 PM

Neurons: 4,444,508
Applause
excaelis
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 2:49:53 AM

Neurons: 32,652
TheParser wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree, James. American culture is an agglomeration of all the immigrant cultures that formed it. To order that all that history be ignored seems to me a little obnoxious. I lived in Europe for the first 25 years of my life. Are you suggesting that just because I moved to North America I must now forget where I came from and espouse only NA values and cultural traditions ? I value difference and diversity, as most Europeans do, because I grew up in a part of the world that encompasses many different nationalities and traditions - in an hour by plane I could encounter 9 or 10 different languages. North America is essentially a parochial, introspective place because it is quite geographically isolated.ved to, say,
On a personal note, I'm sure that if you moved to, say, Saudi Arabia, you would be loth to adopt Islamic values, surely.

Sanity is not statistical
TheParser
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 6:45:42 AM

Hello, Excaelis and S. Miranda-Hess:

1. Yes, it's fine for people to enjoy the food and music of their homelands. What annoys many Americans is an overemphasis on their professed love for their homelands. Some years back, a few immigrants would drive around with a bumpersticker that said: I love [name of country]. Of course, this really irritated many people who would think: If you love it so much, why are you here? I no longer see those bumperstickers. I guess that they realize how lucky they are to be here.

2. Both the British prime minister and the German chancellor have publicly said that multiculturalism does NOT work. Mr. Cameron publicly demanded that immigrants adopt British values.

3. I believe that there ARE American values, and that everyone here should follow them. As I said, it's fine to celebrate one day honoring your "heritage," but don't overdo. Furthermore, with all respect, one's heritage includes a lot of very negative aspects, too. Everyone should be simply an AMERICAN, not a ___-American.

4. Of course, I would never emigrate to Saudi Arabia. (Just heard that it has so far this year beheaded 60 people, mostly for non-violent offenses!)

Have a nice day!

James

tunaafi
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 5:02:40 PM

Neurons: 53,503
TheParser wrote:
Both the British prime minister and the German chancellor have publicly said that multiculturalism does NOT work. Mr. Cameron publicly demanded that immigrants adopt British values.

Perhaps you could provide a link to the speech (or speeches) in which Cameron said that, James? I have found many comments that he has attacked multiculturalism, but not found any references to this in speeches I have been able find.

He has attacked what he called 'the doctrine of state muticulturalism' (something different), under which different cultures have been encouraged to live separate lives. He criticised the tolerance of "segregated communities behaving in ways that run counter to our values." This is not an attack on what many of us understand as multiculturalism, where people from different backgrounds, proud of those backgrounds, live in harmony together.

As far as I have been able to discover, Cameron did not publicly demand that "immigrants adopt British values". What he did say was that a genuinely liberal country "believes in certain values and actively promotes them ...Freedom of speech. Freedom of worship. Democracy. The rule of law. Equal rights, regardless of race, sex or sexuality. ... It says to its citizens: This is what defines us as a society. To belong here is to believe these things."

(more here)

So, Cameron has made it clear that he believes people of all races and creeds who live in Britain should accept certain values, values that most people of all races and creeds in Britain do accept. He was attacking the segregation (self-chosen) and certain minority groups, and the sometimes official toleration and even encouragement of this, but this is not attacking multiculturalism.

If you have access to speeches in which he has attacked multiculturalism per se, James, I should be grateful if you could let us have them. It's very possible that I have missed something it would be important to know about in judging this politician.