The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence. Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 82,992
To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence.

Sun Tzu (544 BC-496 BC)
MechPebbles
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 1:48:40 AM

Neurons: 226,313
Did Sun Tzu inspire fortune cookies?
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 2:16:57 AM

Neurons: 2,490,214
MechPebbles wrote:

How do you inspire fortune cookies?
Come on cookie! I'm going to rip you open & eat you!

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
Jagadeesh Bangalore
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 4:39:27 AM

Neurons: 599,350
NeuroticHellFem wrote:
MechPebbles wrote:

How do you inspire fortune cookies?

Come on cookie! I'm going to rip you open & eat you!

Very humorous thought Applause

But, will the cookie be inspired by the talk or despaired? Angel

To 'BE' or to 'AE' ?!!
ka.ana.ana
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 5:03:08 AM

Neurons: 14,967
I remember learning the word "acme" from a previous quote of "Sun Tzu". It seems to be a favorite word... .maybe I'll try to bring it into common use. Hmmm... what can I say today using the word "acme"? Think Eh? Dancing
monamagda
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 6:49:38 AM

Neurons: 5,272,839
Quote in better context:
Part 4 TACTICAL DISPOSITIONS:

Sun Tzu puts it beautifully when he says, ‘To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence. Neither is it the acme of excellence if you fight and conquer and the whole empire says “Well done!” To lift an autumn hair is not sign of great strength, to see the sun and moon is no sign of sharp sight; to hear the noise of thunder is no sign of quick ear. What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease. Hence his victories bring him neither reputation for wisdom nor credit for courage. He wins his battles by making no mistakes. Making no mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory, for it means conquering an army that is already defeated. Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.’

NOTE:

Long time ago there walked in the dynasty of the Chinese Monarch Helii of the Wu nation, a man called Sun Tzu. In the time when the kingdom was caught up in conflict with neighboring states and reeling under the marauding forces of the neighboring larger states, Sun Tzu came up to the Emperor and offered his services to turn the tides and make the empire win. This man excelled in an art, of making war. For him, it was like science, or art, which can be honed with thorough discipline and can fairly guarantee the predicted outcome to be true. Here was a man who saw art in cunning, in war and in its organization.

This books (Art of War Sun Tzu ) is a translation of the very same Chinese text and provides not a story but bulleted guidelines for leaders who wants to be victorious in war. It is more of a management treatise and perhaps I should not be judging the literary skills of a war general and that too when what I am reading is merely a translation and not the original work. But it was a very interesting exercise to sit and ponder over each point and think of things around, in office and what I’ve read in books and in here and there which might corroborate or contradict the point being made. He does make sense most of the time.

https://www.google.com.br/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=8wUcVNXADoKj8wfYoYDYDA#newwindow=1&q=To+see+victory+only+when+it+is+within+the+ken+of+the+common+herd+is+not+the+acme+of+excellence.
Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 7:04:17 AM

Neurons: 231,108
Daemon wrote:
To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence.

Sun Tzu (544 BC-496 BC)

It is better to measure such excellence in time than in height - the blink.
hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 8:44:05 AM

Neurons: 615,617
Sun Tzu (544 BC-496 BC)

What an awesome quote.......

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Gary98
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 9:22:08 AM

Neurons: 4,335,638
MechPebbles wrote:

Not sure Sun Tzu inspired the invention of fortune cookie. The deed should go to geomancy or fortune telling.

Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 11:47:01 AM

Neurons: 144,425
Brick wall Another one that helped the art of military insanity and mass murder urges, human corruption, highly criminal and hideous, that everyone is compelled to fear. The human herd follows murderous instincts.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 12:57:24 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Ah yes, and Yes again.....
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 1:17:40 PM

Neurons: 350,106
MechPebbles wrote:

Either way, he inspired mass death and enslavement for those who didn't or don't understand why this man's writings are still with us after thousands of years.

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 1:35:07 PM

Neurons: 350,106
Daemon wrote:

Sun Tzu (544 BC-496 BC)

He's basically telling you that if you only perceive what the "common herd" perceives then you are not paying attention to a level of excellence.

The Debt Money Monopolists are waging Sun Tzu Art of War on all the peoples of planet Earth outside their mass lying, mass thieving, mass murdering criminal gang and the "common herd" can't even apply the 5th grade math that proves this beyond all doubt.

"If I lend you $20 @ 5% interest, you owe me $21 in one year's time, but you only have $20 - I bankrupt you through fraud whenever I want*. Sure, I can create another $20 that makes the first debt payable, but the second debt is no longer payable. I can create another $20... and this generates an exponential debt growth function.

NOW, you know what the economics books are design to keep from you - the real reason that debt monetary inflation is a REQUIREMENT to avoid collapse... but only temporarily.

You also learned that all exponential functions must come to an end - and this debt money exponential function will come to an end as well...

Debt - All Sectors
http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/TCMDO

This does not include the occulted derivatives obligations that the governments have forced upon the tax payer...

The Size of the Derivatives Bubble Hanging Over the Global Economy Hits a Record High
http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-size-of-the-derivatives-bubble-hanging-over-the-global-economy-hits-a-record-high/5384096

Caesar never told the Roman "common herd" the "real deal" through his official channels.

Neither do the modern day Caesars, who, like the devil, convinced the masses they don't even exist.

But they do - and they privately control the issuance of Trojan Horse Debt Money engineered to bankrupt the host societies.

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 4:37:13 PM

Dancing Avatar guest is here, controlling!!!!!
TB Turtle
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 4:42:10 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
Since I'm allergic to Fortune Cookies....MechPebbles will have to read mine.
nkelsey
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 8:23:16 PM

Neurons: 192,145
Applause
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 9:41:13 PM

Thank you, Daemon for your thought provoking posts. Plato tried hard, but too many people fear... not all of us have to agree about something, but having open discussion gives thinking processes a chance to overcome choking emotion and allows human ken to develop and expand.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 9:46:14 PM

Thank you, Avatar!
JUSTIN Excellence
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 10:42:06 PM

Neurons: 2,787

One of the most dangerous things in the universe is the vengeful intelligence from the common herd with real grievances. Jesus!

über laboratorium dauernd zur Naturtreue
Qazi M.Allaudin
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 1:07:34 AM

Neurons: 6,650
Boo hoo!

Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life. Joseph Edison
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 2:11:20 PM

Neurons: 245,359
Daemon wrote:

Sun Tzu (544 BC-496 BC)

The "acme of excellence" is to see victory with the exalted ken of warmongers, even after the war has failed-- that which is beyond the ken of the common herd who paid for it.