The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Fat Shaming Counterproductive Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,883
Fat Shaming Counterproductive

Shaming people for being overweight does not motivate them to lose weight. In fact, it appears to have the opposite effect. Adults who experienced weight discrimination gained more weight over a four-year period than those who did not. Being made to feel bad about one's physique seems to drive people to take comfort in food while simultaneously undermining their self-confidence with respect to physical activity, leading them to avoid it. Unfortunately, weight bias is pervasive not just among the general public but also within the medical community, making it harder for those struggling with their weight to get much-needed support and encouragement. More...
Dialectrum
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 12:24:13 AM

Neurons: 17,968
Shaming, in general, is counterproductive.

Encouragement is the way to go!
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 1:06:44 AM

Neurons: 42,315
Shaming and blaming being counterproductive is one thing, but some people take that to mean that it's always okay to be overweight. Overweight people can be beautiful and healthy; however, being overweight can come with some serious health concerns. One of these concerns that I've seen among family and friends is type 2 diabetes, which can be prevented or delayed with healthy lifestyle choices. There are also health concerns that cause weight gain. You can be big and beautiful and I still encourage you to take care of your health.
MechPebbles
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 2:05:13 AM

Neurons: 226,313
While I certainly agree encouragement is far superior to shaming, I don't think this study can be taken seriously. There are too many factors that cause people to change their lifestyles and to just single out one is unacceptable.
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 12:16:30 PM

Neurons: 350,106
Daemon wrote:
Fat Shaming Counterproductive

Shaming people for being overweight does not motivate them to lose weight. In fact, it appears to have the opposite effect. Adults who experienced weight discrimination gained more weight over a four-year period than those who did not. Being made to feel bad about one's physique seems to drive people to take comfort in food while simultaneously undermining their self-confidence with respect to physical activity, leading them to avoid it. Unfortunately, weight bias is pervasive not just among the general public but also within the medical community, making it harder for those struggling with their weight to get much-needed support and encouragement. More...

Most folks are overweight because the true root cause of their being overweight has been occulted from them, presumably so that Big Pharma can maximize profits.

The whole war on cholesterol / saturated fat was an unscientific hoax that, in effect, turned the body into a cellular inflammation broiler.

How does Big Pharma maximize profits? By turning everyone's body (but their own - laughs on you!) into a cellular inflammation broiler that maximizes cellular inflammation and chronic disease. It also maximizes Big Agra's profits and Big Chemical's profits. These are just subdivisions of The Debt Money Monopoly and their profits are maximized as well since they loan money to the government to pay for the services.

If you haven't seen it already, The Corporation is an excellent documentary that juxtaposes the corporate structure the to clinical definition of a psychopath....

The Corporation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6zQO7JytzQ

My argument is that The Debt Money Monopolists, the people who have the RAW POWER to define the essence of a corporation (sorry, you don't - and neither does anyone you've ever know unless they are in The Debt Money Monopoly or sanctioned by the same), defined the corporation IN THEIR OWN IMAGE.

The substrate for pro-inflammatory eicosanoid hormones are Omega 6 fatty acids... and what do you find promoted by the Bigs? Omega 6 fatty acids. You should think of corn oil and soy oil - basically all the government subsidized oils (think about that fact as long as you need to in order to make the logical connection).

When these fatty acids, which make up a portion of every phospholipid layer of every cell in your body, mix with delta-5-desaturase then cellular inflammation is the result.

Bad Eicosanoid
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/bad+eicosanoid

"Why are Rockefeller engineered medicine men and women taught to obsess over cholesterol? Because Big Pharma has a cholesterol hammer, not because it is very tightly correlated to chronic disease like elevated insulin.

Elevated Insulin, NOT Cholesterol Is the Single Greatest Marker of CVD Risk
http://metabolichealing.com/elevated-insulin-not-cholesterol-is-the-single-greatest-marker-of-cvd-risk/

Elevated levels of fasting insulin is the single greatest marker to assess a person’s cardiovascular and diabetic risk factors. This has been consistently demonstrated in the medical literature going back more than 20 years. Elevated levels of insulin are found among those with heart disease, congestive heart failure, insulin resistance, diabetes, high blood pressure, and obesity.

Why then are insulin levels not routinely tested on standard blood chemistry tests? Answer: there are no drugs to lower insulin. It is controlled specifically through dietary intervention and exercise. There are no drugs to sell to a patient. No profit to be made despite the insulin reality. To make matters worse, laboratory reference ranges for what constitutes “healthy” or “normal” insulin values are totally absurd."

It is even worse than that - IF Big Pharma taught the physicians they produce the truth, then they would be able to tell people to improve their diet and minimize their Big Pharma purchases... and why would a corporation minimize their profits again? That's right - they wouldn't.

That's why Bayer knowingly sold tainted Factor 8 to Europe and murdered people... to maximize profits.

Bayer Exposed ( HIV Contaminated Vaccine )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg-52mHIjhs

Let's tie this all together - in order to maximize cellular inflammation (and Big Pharma profits), the substrate oils for the the bad eicosanoids and the delta-5-desaturase must be maximized.

This has been done through using government to subsidize the bad fats and using controlled medical establishment and government to promote a low fat (which reduces both protein and saturated fat consumption) that maximizes insulin stimulation - which correlates nicely with chronic inflammation and disease.

Maximizing insulin also maximizes - guess what? Delta-5-desaturase.

If you are overweight because you've listened to the Big Pharma, Big Agra, Big Chemical, Biggest Debt Money Monopoly false narrative, you've fallen, not for rigorous science that never supported the deceptive narrative, but for appeal to corrupt authority logical fallacy.

An organic paleo Zone Diet is the best diet I've been able to discover up until this point (I'm always learning, though).

A lot of people find the start up effort to be difficult (I ended up here through a process - I didn't just start here - and Rome wasn't built in a day, either).

I would recommend people start by implementing a mostly paleo diet - search the term and you will find lots of information. You can extend your research into the nutritional benefits of nutritionally rich organic food (organic is a process so there is low nutrition organics as well - you best bet is to buy local produce from a farm you know and avoid The Bigs in the industry). Another option is to check out a recent Zone Book - my favorites include the The Anti-Aging Zone and The Anti-inflammatory Zone - and read up on how eating balanced macromutrients keeps our insulin response (remember how important that is to avoid excess inflammation?) within a therapeutic zone.

"What I really like is how good you feel when you are 'in the Zone'."
~Robin after Zoning off 45 lbs in 6 months on Scientific American's Losing It program
http://www.pbs.org/saf/1401/features/robin.htm

Minding your mitochondria: Dr. Terry Wahls at TEDxIowaCity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

Dr. Wahls described a diet that is a better anti-inflammatory diet than I follow - and the results were outstanding... a significant reversal in her multiple sclerosis. Is Big Pharma knocking down her door? Please, they are hoping she goes away because her insight into health and wellness is A THREAT TO BIG PHARMA PROFITS!0

Note in the following video that Dr. Wahls was spending $40k a year on MS drugs THAT DIDN'T HELP HER.

Dr. Terry Wahls' Protocol That Reversed Multiple Sclerosis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2yA3QPDDLM

Note in the following video how the Big Pharma rep fought tooth and nail to avoid any research on Dr. Wahls Protocol and had to be FORCED to accept the will of a group of physicians who KNEW Dr. Wahls personally - they knew her well (even the Big Pharma rep!!! He didn't care about people he knew personally!!!), they saw here degeneration and they saw her reverse much of her multiple sclerosis...

AHS12 Terry Wahls, MD — Minding My Mitochondria
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg216KCuXSM

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 12:21:45 PM

Neurons: 350,106
Dialectrum wrote:
Shaming, in general, is counterproductive.

Encouragement is the way to go!

Encourage what?

Knowledge is the first requirement.

Encouraging people to follow the false Big Pharma profit maximizing paradigm of constant elevated insulin (which drive down blood glucose that feeds the brain) are in for a world of hurt.

Read my article above about that corrects Big Pharma's BIG LIE that has duped almost everyone in America that is now being torn down by the work of everyday people who are having astounding success deriving the truth about nutrition though massive amounts of anecdotal information and some actual studies (the Bigs avoid studying diet because you can't find that for which you don't look - and Big Pharma lobbies government to avoid the research).

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
GreenBanana
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 1:08:25 PM

Neurons: 20,818
WHAT? Hurting people's self-esteem is BAD for them!? WHAT A PARADIGM SHIFT!!!!!@@#@!$*#@$(

Make every post as if it was the first one in the thread.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 2:25:50 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Who dislikes a fat person? Well in my case I would hope they would get help, because of the horrible side effects of being over weight. Also, if one of those people falls down and I attempt to pick them up, I'll hurt myself.

But the real problem is the sick (yes, again) corporations that have only profits in mind when they use disgustingly horrible greases, extra salt and other types of flavor enhancer's that they "sneak" into our foods. And now many of the sick corporations are fighting honest labeling for the genetically modified foods that there pushing upon the public.
Dialectrum
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 2:54:21 PM

You're right.

"Big Pharma" is shoveling this super-sized combo meal down my throat.

Not me.

It's not like I chose to pull up to this window and order the triple whopper combo meal with extra fries.

"Big Pharma" made me do it.

And I can't go to the fresh produce section of the grocery store because this "Big Pharma" bodyguard is blocking the way.

Geeman
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 8:33:44 PM

Neurons: 125,022
Dialectrum wrote:
You're right.

"Big Pharma" is shoveling this super-sized combo meal down my throat.

Not me.

It's not like I chose to pull up to this window and order the triple whopper combo meal with extra fries.

"Big Pharma" made me do it.

And I can't go to the fresh produce section of the grocery store because this "Big Pharma" bodyguard is blocking the way.

Yeah... that'd be a good example of what doesn't work.

If you really got a lack of willpower as the root meaning of information like "Elevated levels of fasting insulin is the single greatest marker to assess a person’s cardiovascular and diabetic risk factors" then I think you read it poorly. Take another look.
nkelsey
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:13:31 PM

Neurons: 192,145
Applause
Dialectrum
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 11:05:45 PM

"Fat Shaming Counterproductive" fell prey to the red herring ("Big Pharma") unleashed by Trivium Discipulus.

So yes, I read the red herring poorly and chose sarcasm as a response.