The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Best Diet Is the One You Can Stick With Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,877
The Best Diet Is the One You Can Stick With

Diet fads seem to come and go with the seasons, so how can you know which one is best? Researchers have analyzed data from 48 separate trials to find the answer, and the results may surprise you: there is no "best." All diets result in roughly similar weight loss, likely because they all cut calories to a similar level. More important than diet type, researchers say, is the individual dieter's ability to stick with a given program. It is important to note, however, that this study looked exclusively at weight loss and not at other health issues, like cholesterol levels, that can be influenced by diet. More...
MechPebbles
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 12:35:50 AM

Neurons: 226,313
I just don't understand why people even bother to make studies like this. As if, in the long term, weight loss was the only factor to be concerned with. Other health issues are completely ignored. Sticking to a low-carb, low fibre, high protein, high fat diet may be an easy thing to do but it's plain suicidal.

My cousin, who is an associate professor at Harvard, tells me that teaching is only a very small part of his job. Most of his time is taken up with thinking of new research to conduct because the university puts great pressure on the professors to obtain government research grants (of which the university takes a 1/3 cut). This may be the reason why we see a lot of research "findings" that amount to nothing much at all.
AnjanaDutt
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 3:16:59 AM

Neurons: 12,437
I eat in moderation all foods except junk food and exercise. Isn't that good enough?
I have inherited, from my mother and her siblings, the thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism). With that knowledge I did some checking to find out what foods I should avoid and it is the cabbage. There is high incidence of Type II diabetes and early onset diabetes as well so I eat rice in moderation. So really, we just need to be aware of what can harm our bodies and eat accordingly. There is no need to diet.
pedro
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 3:59:06 AM

Neurons: 63,022
The best diet is food.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 9:40:12 AM

Neurons: 2,589,153
AnjanaDutt wrote:
I eat in moderation all foods except junk food and exercise. Isn't that good enough?
I have inherited, from my mother and her siblings, the thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism). With that knowledge I did some checking to find out what foods I should avoid and it is the cabbage. There is high incidence of Type II diabetes and early onset diabetes as well so I eat rice in moderation. So really, we just need to be aware of what can harm our bodies and eat accordingly. There is no need to diet.

The article relates to weight loss diets only, not general health. You (& I) have a genetic thyroid problem (I'm hypO). We should avoid the cabbage family: broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts. Cabbage is high in folate (anti-cancer benefits), vitamin C, & fibre. Everyone else would do well to include it in their diet.
Quote:
The report said: "The differences [between diets] were small and unlikely to be important to those seeking weight loss."
However, the study did not look at wider health issues, such as levels of cholesterol, which may vary according to diet.

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 11:26:23 AM

Neurons: 350,106
MechPebbles wrote:
I just don't understand why people even bother to make studies like this. As if, in the long term, weight loss was the only factor to be concerned with. Other health issues are completely ignored. Sticking to a low-carb, low fibre, high protein, high fat diet may be an easy thing to do but it's plain suicidal.

My cousin, who is an associate professor at Harvard, tells me that teaching is only a very small part of his job. Most of his time is taken up with thinking of new research to conduct because the university puts great pressure on the professors to obtain government research grants (of which the university takes a 1/3 cut). This may be the reason why we see a lot of research "findings" that amount to nothing much at all.

They want to confuse people so that the financiers of these kind of studies can maximize profits.

They do so by stimulating a chronically ill population (look around - they are VERY good at what they do based on empirical results).

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 11:29:33 AM

Neurons: 350,106
Daemon wrote:
The Best Diet Is the One You Can Stick With

Diet fads seem to come and go with the seasons, so how can you know which one is best? Researchers have analyzed data from 48 separate trials to find the answer, and the results may surprise you: there is no "best." All diets result in roughly similar weight loss, likely because they all cut calories to a similar level. More important than diet type, researchers say, is the individual dieter's ability to stick with a given program. It is important to note, however, that this study looked exclusively at weight loss and not at other health issues, like cholesterol levels, that can be influenced by diet. More...

The best diets are the ones that make it easy to stay on (I love my diet and can't stand the SAD - standard American "diet"), supply ample micronutrients, and eliminate excess cellular inflammation.

This diet minimizes sick care expenses... the maximization of which are the legal corporate mandate of the Big Pharma corporations that fund "Rockefeller medical school."

Also note that mega bankers (Rothschilds, Rockefeller) and the European royalty reject straight allopathic medicine when it come to treating themselves.

You can read more in "Rockefeller Medicine Men."

If you prefer audio visuals, James Corbett was nice enough to put the work in...

http://www.corbettreport.com/episode-286-rockefeller-medicine/

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 10:29:29 PM

Neurons: 37,072
As a runner and weightlifter, my diet has been critical in my ability to continue my routine's at 75+ years of age. This has been my way to stay healthy but more importantly, continuing to work in my art studio and be able to pick up heavy art pieces and materials, I prefer to work alone. The running is to clear my head but the diet is essential to continue to put in my 70 to 80 hours of work per week....
nkelsey
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 11:10:27 PM

Neurons: 192,145
Applause