The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Suicide Takes a Life Every 40 Seconds Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,361
Suicide Takes a Life Every 40 Seconds

The suicide of beloved actor and comedian Robin Williams last month brought the typically taboo subject to the fore, yet this "major public health problem" is all too often ignored. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), around 800,000 people take their own lives each year. That is about one person every 40 seconds. The introduction of a national suicide prevention strategy has proven effective, but just 28 countries have done so. The WHO is therefore calling on the nations of the world to take action, with the goal of reducing suicide deaths by 10 percent by 2020. More...
moniquester
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 1:42:55 AM

Neurons: 87,227
Gilbert O'Sullivan's song, "Alone Again, Naturally" says it well.

Be the change you wish to see in the world!-Gandhi
MechPebbles
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 3:50:22 AM

Neurons: 226,313
What a glut of suicide articles!
TheParser
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 7:23:52 AM

Neurons: 22,062
A French street artist worked in Tunisia and Libya.

Then he made a fatal mistake: He decided to bring his work to the American city of Detroit (where the police have advised residents to BUY a gun!).

He has just been murdered by four teenagers -- one who was aged 13 at the time of the crime.

Of course, they will never be executed.

Hopefully, they will have the decency to commit suicide.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 8:35:05 AM

Neurons: 2,582,305
You have to be in a very dark place to consider suicide. Depression is evil, but those who have never experienced it don't understand this. "Cheer up" they say.
Shakespeare must have had a deep understanding of this dark side of human nature. Hamlet's soliloquy sums it up so concisely, the inner battle is "to be or not to be", many choose the not to be.
This is a serious problem.

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
GreenBanana
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 11:11:17 AM

Neurons: 20,818
Solution: Start treating everybody like excellent providers. Problem solved.

Also, Robin Williams was a grossly successful celebrity with a net worth at about 50 million dollars. What he did was an insult to the untouchables of our society.

Make every post as if it was the first one in the thread.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 12:37:32 PM

Neurons: 37,072
"Suicide Takes a Life Every 40 Seconds..." Yes and tis extremely sad, but as long as the leaders of any country can dictate personal policy, there will be very unhappy people in this world. We should also ask ourselves; why to people take drugs/booze, to excess: Answer, To escape the life of lies, deceit and corruption which they feel incapable of stopping or controlling.
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 2:44:37 PM

Neurons: 42,315
:( Why haven't we limited access to guns and toxic chemicals? That's totally the smart thing to do! Mental health should be addressed too.
Gary98
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 3:22:06 PM

Neurons: 4,711,496
S. Miranda-Hess wrote:
:( Why haven't we limited access to guns and toxic chemicals? That's totally the smart thing to do! Mental health should be addressed too.

The causes, like the mental health, should be addressed first. Otherwise we should remove guns, chemicals, ropes, bridges, kitchen knives, even air, etc.
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 3:47:39 PM

Gary98 wrote:
S. Miranda-Hess wrote:

The causes, like the mental health, should be addressed first. Otherwise we should remove guns, chemicals, ropes, bridges, kitchen knives, even air, etc.

I agree that mental health is very important, but I don't think it's either/or, it has to be both/and to be effective. I'm not saying remove guns, etc., just limit access to them. People suffer from depression for a long time and then suicide takes place when the mood strikes AND they have access to something that could kill them. A 3-day waiting period makes a lot of sense for something that is designed to hurt and kill. People used to kill themselves by sticking their heads in ovens, but that doesn't really happen anymore because of safety measures.

I personally know someone who killed himself by inhaling common household chemicals. A lot of people don't know that huffing can kill you even the first time you do it, and yet such things are easily available. He was talking to a counselor and had an appointment scheduled, but in that moment it wasn't enough.
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 3:51:39 PM

GreenBanana wrote:
Also, Robin Williams was a grossly successful celebrity with a net worth at about 50 million dollars. What he did was an insult to the untouchables of our society.

I think that's a very cruel thing to say. All that goes to show is that money can't buy happiness. There are plenty of people living in poverty who struggle to survive and never contemplate suicide.
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 4:12:48 PM

Gary98 wrote:
Otherwise we should remove guns, chemicals, ropes, bridges, kitchen knives, even air, etc.

I know of someone who survived a suicide attempt by hanging. He got the help he needed and that was that. People often make multiple attempts, but if they survive, mental healthcare *might* be enough. I don't know of anyone who has survived a suicide attempt by gun, I know it happens, but what I'm saying is that guns are inherently more dangerous and can do more damage in a smaller amount of time. What's more, I know people who have been hurt by guns by accident.

Safety rails for bridges are a smart idea. You might think people will go elsewhere and find other means, but if you make it more difficult for someone to commit suicide, suicide rates drop. I'll leave you with this: An analysis of nine popular suicide spots, published in the International Journal of Epidemiology, found that those locations that installed barriers, safety nets and other preventive structures experienced an 86% reduction in jumping suicides per year. Unfortunately, jumpers went elsewhere and there was a 44% increase at nearby sites. But overall, jumping dropped a net 28%. (www.allgov.com)
Saad Shams Nebula
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 4:18:19 PM

Neurons: 18,666
People are richer but with less hope