The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Esperanto Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,883
Esperanto

Esperanto is an artificial language that was introduced in 1887 by Dr. L.L. Zamenhof, a Polish linguist. His goal was to ease communication between speakers of different languages. Its words are derived from roots commonly found in European languages and are spelled as pronounced. Grammar is simple and regular. Although no nation has officially adopted Esperanto, it has more than one million speakers and has been taught in schools throughout the world. What is the origin of the name "Esperanto"? More...
LucOneOff
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 2:52:12 AM

Neurons: 696,826
Its name derives from Doktoro Esperanto ("Esperanto" translates as "one who hopes"), the pseudonym under which L. L. Zamenhof published the first book detailing Esperanto, the Unua Libro, on July 26, 1887.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 3:24:24 AM

Neurons: 2,539,917
This was absolutely fascinating, thank you TFD!
I've always considered Esperanto to be a crazy idea, but English, which is the current international language for business &c is so much more difficult to learn than any other language because of its huge vocabulary. Even as a native English speaker, I can see the difficulty foreigners must face. For business & international relations, it makes sense to have a simpler common language. Esperanto is sounding less crazy.
I've always been curious about learning another language, one of those 'one day I'll get around to it' things which we rarely ever truly get around to doing.
This article makes me want to learn Esperanto!
The statistic which is still rebounding in my head is the European study:
Quote:
"...learning subsequent foreign languages is easier than learning one's first foreign language... In one study,[50] a group of European secondary school students studied Esperanto for one year, then French for three years, and ended up with a significantly better command of French than a control group, who studied French for all four years. Similar results have been found for other combinations of native and second languages..."

It makes so much sense! The 'useful phrases' section is so readily understandable, I can intuit some of the meanings even though I only speak English.
I'm seriously considering learning Esperanto now.

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
MechPebbles
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 3:47:59 AM

Neurons: 226,313
What a strange thing - a constructed language. People would actually learn it?
moniquester
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 3:55:39 AM

Neurons: 87,227
I am not a fan.

Be the change you wish to see in the world!-Gandhi
Ms. Gaviria
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:40:19 AM

Neurons: 756
This was a shock and a surprise when I first knew about it last year. Absolutely fascinating, but I wonder why isn't it famous -as a language- yet?
TB Turtle
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 11:29:19 AM

Neurons: 4,068,781
It seems Spooky to me. The kind of scary Government Spy type. Reading the list of countries where practiced during war years....just saying Spooky.
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:31:21 PM

Neurons: 590,850
MechPebbles wrote:
What a strange thing - a constructed language. People would actually learn it?

MechPebbles! You are talking it right now.
Kermit the Frog
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:58:12 PM

Neurons: 975,071
Most of the time, I'm not a very convinced demolisher of any idea, no matter how eccentric it seems at first sight.
But this one, the creation of an artificial language to be learned and assimilated - if possible - by every people in the world, raises a huge question mark in my mind. Why? Because a quite probable scenario, if such an experiment comes to life, is the revival of Middle Age in culture. We might have, the same way as many centuries ago, a few communities of "intellectuals" who preserve the scraps of literature and science using dexterously this new Lingua Franca (let's say, a feeble equivalent of old and glorious Latin) while the many illiterates outside, in the real world, live happily and carelessly all around.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 7:04:41 PM

Neurons: 5,360,635
KIO ESTAS ESPERANTO?

Esperanto estas lingvo, sed ne de iu landa aŭ etna grupo—ĝi estas neŭtrala, internacia lingvo. Taksoj de la nombro da nuntempaj esperantistoj estas inter dek mil ĝis du milionoj. Kreita de Ludoviko Zamenhof en 1887, Esperanto havas tre regulan strukturon, kio signifas, ke ĝi estas facile lernebla. Komunikado per Esperanto ne donas avantaĝon al membroj de specifa popolo aŭ kulturo, sed donas egalecon

komprenis ion?
nkelsey
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:12:32 PM

Neurons: 192,145
Applause Good article.
Gary98
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 12:08:11 AM

Neurons: 4,444,508
nkelsey wrote:
Applause Good article.

some history and culture behind it will make it popular fast