The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Efforts to Curb Youth Smoking Meeting Their Match in E-Cigarettes Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
Efforts to Curb Youth Smoking Meeting Their Match in E-Cigarettes

Decades of efforts to curb youth smoking in the US have made considerable gains, with the rate of teen smoking falling to a record low of just 15.7 percent in 2013. But these gains could be short-lived thanks to the surge in popularity of electronic cigarettes. The number of US adolescents and teens who have never smoked conventional cigarettes but have tried e-cigarettes is on the rise, with more than a quarter million using them in 2013, a threefold increase from 2011. Those who have tried e-cigarettes also express a greater willingness to try regular cigarettes in the relatively near future. More...
Alexander Lo
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:59:21 AM

Neurons: 86,669
Interesting, on the very same web page the Today's Brithday column shows Julio Cortázar was having a cigarette.
MechPebbles
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:13:35 AM

Neurons: 226,313
And I thought these were supposed to help people give up smoking.
slaytheday1
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:19:29 AM

Neurons: 3
I smoked tobacco cigarettes for over 40 years. I now "vape" with e-cigs instead. The nicotine intake is the unhealthy part of vaping. Cigarettes are much worse. I don't see anything wrong about restricting buying nicotine for vaping just as buying cigarettes is banned for under 18-year-olds. I also think that companies that manufacture/sell nicotine patches are probably against vaping for obvious reasons.
uuaschbaer
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:43:38 AM

Neurons: 6,180
MechPebbles wrote:
And I thought these were supposed to help people give up smoking.

And they do, I believe. A quarter of a million is nothing in the US and there is no reason to believe that trying e-cigarettes caused people to wish to try normal cigarettes, it seems much more likely to me that their willingness to try normal cigarettes caused them to try e-cigarettes.

These things can save people's lives and all that grabs the attention of the public is that there must be some catch, some diabolical trade-off which makes them even worse than conventional cigarettes so that they can be discarded without reconsideration of one's own habits. Either that or they must be completely ineffective.

People just can't let a good thing be.

GreenBanana
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:45:20 AM

Neurons: 20,818
I still can't understand why e-cigarettes took off. Nothing else on the entire planet has made people look more like a pretentious tool than electronic cigarettes.

Make every post as if it was the first one in the thread.
Gary98
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:04:18 AM

Neurons: 4,701,183
How do you stop stupidity if people choose it on purpose?
Gary98
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:07:01 AM

Neurons: 4,701,183
Smoking and drinking is kind of like superstation, deep seated, intoxicating and without much reason.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:43:09 PM

Neurons: 37,072
For the life of me, I can not understand just how disgusting and vile the cigarette industry is. How many deaths must the world endure before we will put an end to smoking in any form. If I were a person that believed in prayer, I'd pray every day, that those that push smoking in any form all acquire lung, mouth and throat cancer. Harsh yes, but I have seen way to many people of my generation suffer and still have visions of the CEO's of the Tobacco industry's, putting their hands up to GOD and swearing to the American congress, that smoking was not harmful and that they never manipulated the content of their tobacco's. Hay folks, you just got'ta love this country...
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:17:22 PM

Neurons: 350,106
The article, and perhaps the study, neglect very important information. Accepting the data presented as accurate, they still need to address the observations in the context of overall smoking. If the chunk of kids that used e-cigarettes came 100% from kids who would have otherwise smoked then the e-cigarettes actually reduced overall smoking and that's a good thing. This information wasn't addressed.

I just talked to a coworker who used e-cigarettes to quit smoking after all other avenues failed.

Also, the claim that the CDC cares about childhood brain development is belied by the following two pieces of information withheld from the article...

CDC responded to my questions submitted through California Senator Barbara Boxer. The question were about fluoride, tooth decay, and fluorosis in infants. The CDC would not respond to these questions through the normal channel, so I had to write my senator to get these questions answered.

http://dougcragoe.webs.com/apps/documents/

Note that the CDC is aware of no evidence that ingesting fluoride is beneficial for infants.

Impact of fluoride on neurological development in children

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/fluoride-childrens-health-grandjean-choi/

"The average loss in IQ was reported as a standardized weighted mean difference of 0.45, which would be approximately equivalent to seven IQ points for commonly used IQ scores with a standard deviation of 15."

To recap, CDC has no evidence that ingesting fluoride in the water is beneficial for children, Harvard does a study that correlates (not necessarily causation - BUT MAYBE! - need more research to know to a high degree of probability) the ingestion of fluoride to literal brain damage and they 1. Aren't warning anyone about the potential and 2. Aren't demanding vigorous research.

Looking Behind Appearances
https://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/3c.htm

"Forget the 10 percent drop in SAT and Achievement Test scores the press beats to death with regularity; how do you explain the 37 percent decline since 1972 in students who score above 600 on the SAT? This is an absolute decline, not a relative one. It is not affected by an increase in unsuitable minds taking the test or by an increase in the numbers. The absolute body count of smart students is down drastically with a test not more difficult than yesterday’s but considerably less so."

Note that this absolute decline occurred even though population grew substantially.

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
nkelsey
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:46:34 PM

Neurons: 192,145
E-cigarettes are slim, reusable, metal-tube devices containing nicotine-laced liquids that come in exotic flavors.
Vicki Holzknecht
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:09:28 PM

Neurons: 61,514
Smoking whether its from the cigarette or the e-cigarette's is bad for you. People should just kick the habit.