The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It is always incomprehensible to a man that a woman should ever refuse an offer of marriage. Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,877
It is always incomprehensible to a man that a woman should ever refuse an offer of marriage.

Jane Austen (1775-1817)
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:09:00 AM

Neurons: 42,315
Yeah, that's why I don't think proposals should be so public. What if the person being proposed to says no?
JUSTIN Excellence
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:22:03 AM

Neurons: 2,787

Remember when they say ''No'' you hear ''Yes'' and act accordingly. Someone says to you, ''We can't do this,'' you hug her and say, ''Thank you for believing in me.''
~ Arnold (TOTAL RECALL)

über laboratorium dauernd zur Naturtreue
moniquester
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:28:01 AM

Neurons: 87,227
JUSTIN Excellence wrote:

Remember when they say ''No'' you hear ''Yes'' and act accordingly. Someone says to you, ''We can't do this,'' you hug her and say, ''Thank you for believing in me.''
~ Arnold (TOTAL RECALL)

Justin,
I LOVE the way you think! (P.S.: This is NOT, (and I repeat NOT) a proposal!!!)

Be the change you wish to see in the world!-Gandhi
Alexander Lo
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:47:15 AM

Neurons: 86,669
I think she is right. Some foolish man does not know he is not the type that a woman want. But why that woman told him earlier and try to hang on to him until that ugly day.
MechPebbles
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 2:03:49 AM

Neurons: 226,313
S. Miranda-Hess wrote:
Yeah, that's why I don't think proposals should be so public. What if the person being proposed to says no?

I think men who propose in public are arrogant jerks. They are so confident of themselves and consider their proposal a favour to the women they propose to. Turn them down, I say. Say yes to men like me who ask in fear and trembling!
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 2:26:27 AM

Neurons: 258,893
Daemon wrote:
It is always incomprehensible to a man that a woman should ever refuse an offer of marriage.

Jane Austen (1775-1817)

It is so common for young people to jump to any conclusion without any experience at all. Young passionate lady can be especially inclined to such behavioural patterns. But that's a part of the game...
Ridwan Abdulfatai
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:08:52 AM

Neurons: 1,717
If a woman do refuse a marriage offer it shows the substantialbility of her dignity and worth. Cos a woman with quality is worth craving for. The easier the cheaper, the harder the more their substantiability of worth
ithink140
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:35:35 AM

Neurons: 17,922
It was a welcome relief to me when Mary refused my offer of marriage, for moments later her mother came into view and I saw a vision of the future… a narrow escape indeed. In that moment I blessed the blindness of my intended in refusing me as a catch. By a quirk of fate, nay divine intervention, ( and a woman unable to properly assess her prospects) I had been saved from a doomed liaison. Seconds later a red double decker bus went by and looking at the back of it I was at once reminded of my recent vision.

I had an epiphany, and my trust in a god was once more restored to its fullness… I understood my intendeds refusal… it was divine intervention on my behalf that blocked her perception of my true wealth and value as a person. She on her part, when the blinkers fell from her eyes, would live to regret her foolishness in refusing such a catch, while I would live in life-long gratitude for such as narrow escape.

'Life is too short to be eaten up by hate.'
bal
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:28:45 AM

Neurons: 6,561
"it is always incomprehensible to a man that a woman should ever refuse an offer of marriage. A man always imagines a woman to be ready for anybody who asks her."
Saul F
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 11:09:57 AM

Neurons: 26,936
Drool Yeah, so much more when there is much at stake.
Jagadeesh Bangalore
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:01:12 PM

Neurons: 633,655
ithink140 wrote:
It was a welcome relief to me when Mary refused my offer of marriage, for moments later her mother came into view and I saw a vision of the future… a narrow escape indeed. In that moment I blessed the blindness of my intended in refusing me as a catch. By a quirk of fate, nay divine intervention, ( and a woman unable to properly assess her prospects) I had been saved from a doomed liaison. Seconds later a red double decker bus went by and looking at the back of it I was at once reminded of my recent vision.

I had an epiphany, and my trust in a god was once more restored to its fullness… I understood my intendeds refusal… it was divine intervention on my behalf that blocked her perception of my true wealth and value as a person. She on her part, when the blinkers fell from her eyes, would live to regret her foolishness in refusing such a catch, while I would live in life-long gratitude for such as narrow escape.

Ithink140,
could you tell us if this was from a novel, what is it's title, and who's the author?

Thanks

To 'BE' or to 'AE' ?!!
Robert Imgrat
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:33:14 PM

Neurons: 106,087
In similar vein: It is a Queen's policy never cancel engagement. Both statements are equally prudent. That is the reason I prefer sparkling water ''Marvel''. The gas does not cause injuries to brain.
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:51:34 PM

Neurons: 5,664,744
The quote in context : From Emma Chapter 8

"Pray, Mr. Knightley," said Emma, who had been smiling to herself through a great part of this speech, "how do you know that Mr. Martin did not speak yesterday?"

"Certainly," replied he, surprized, "I do not absolutely know it; but it may be inferred. Was not she the whole day with you?"

"Come," said she, "I will tell you something, in return for what you have told me. He did speak yesterday -- that is, he wrote, and was refused."

This was obliged to be repeated before it could be believed; and Mr. Knightley actually looked red with surprize and displeasure, as he stood up, in tall indignation, and said,

"Then she is a greater simpleton than I ever believed her. What is the foolish girl about?"

"Oh! to be sure," cried Emma, "it is always incomprehensible to a man that a woman should ever refuse an offer of marriage. A man always imagines a woman to be ready for anybody who asks her."

"Nonsense! a man does not imagine any such thing. But what is the meaning of this? Harriet Smith refuse Robert Martin? madness, if it is so; but I hope you are mistaken."

"I saw her answer, nothing could be clearer."

"You saw her answer! you wrote her answer too. Emma, this is your doing. You persuaded her to refuse him."

"And if I did, (which, however, I am far from allowing,) I should not feel that I had done wrong. Mr. Martin is a very respectable young man, but I cannot admit him to be Harriet's equal; and am rather surprized indeed that he should have
ventured to address her. By your account, he does seem to have had some scruples. It is a pity that they were ever got over."

http://www.pemberley.com/etext/Emma/chapter8.htm
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:29:45 PM

Neurons: 2,589,153
I remember having to read Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice & Emma. Ugh! I hated both with a passion.
Now Pride & Prejudice & Zombies on the other hand... now that was a book!

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
nkelsey
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 5:29:37 PM

Neurons: 192,145
Yeah, that's true.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:48:34 PM

Neurons: 37,072
"It is always incomprehensible to a man that a woman should ever refuse an offer of marriage."

Jane Austen (1775-1817) I find this posted quote so very, VERY right-on and so fitting for our contemporary society. For Christ sakes, when will the women of this world take back their authority and freedom's. I think it is just about time for this "gentler-sex" (pun intended) to not only start carrying guns but just maybe beginning to use them, where appropriate.

What do you say GIRLS, plant in your minds-eye that wonderful and beautiful woman from the painting of the French Revolution, as she leads the armed men onwards. Damn do we REALLY need that kind of "guts" now... Peace my friends and (try) to keep da faith.
Vicki Holzknecht
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 10:18:06 PM

Neurons: 61,514
One of my favorite authors.
Professor
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 11:33:18 PM

Neurons: 42,160
Daemon wrote:

Jane Austen (1775-1817)

I proposed to my girlfriend (who is my wife now of many years) on the ferry talking about 3000 people to see the statue of Liberty. It was the best day of hers and my life. She deserved to be asked appropriately and i wanted to do something grand for her to remember for ever. I asked the Captain if I could use the ship's public address system. The captain said "Well if you want to make an ass out of yourself in front of 3000 people, I'll help you. He cruised along side of lady liberty and shut down the engines to a quite hum and then announced for her to stand by for a message. " You could have heard a pin drop. Then he handed me the microphone. My wife never expected it, and in fact she mused initially, "how could he have gotten lost. ". Then she realized what was happening and began to cry. It was the best day of our life and the rest is simply , the fairy tail.

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."