The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Leni Riefenstahl (1902) Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 89,022
Leni Riefenstahl (1902)

Riefenstahl was a German filmmaker whose most famous works are documentary propaganda films for the German Nazi Party. Her Triumph of the Will, a documentary of a huge Nazi rally glorifying Hitler, is widely regarded as one of the most effective pieces of propaganda ever produced. After the war, Riefenstahl was classified as a Nazi sympathizer and blacklisted. Later, she became interested in underwater photography and the Nuba tribe in the Sudan. What did she do on her 100th birthday? More...
MechPebbles
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 1:19:03 AM

Neurons: 226,313
This is the type that begets a monster.
stefan
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 3:32:20 AM

Neurons: 3,293,044
On 22 August 2002, her 100th birthday, Riefenstahl released a film called Impressionen unter Wasser (Underwater Impressions), an idealized documentary of life in the oceans and her first film in over 25 years
monamagda
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 7:22:22 AM

Neurons: 5,915,557
Hitler's favorite filmmaker turns 100 -- and still says she didn't do anything wrong.

On her birthday, the filmmaker hosted an elaborate party at which some of Germany’s most famous celebrities attended, including the flashy magicians Siegfried and Roy.

She also welcomed journalists from the world press to her Munich home and Riefenstahl Produktion film studio. Riefenstahl was spirited and sharp, her white hair curling crazily, her eyebrows delicately penciled, her lips painted as red as the flag of the Third Reich.

If reporters, however, were expecting a candid interview with the woman most famous for making propaganda films such as “Triumph of the Will,” they were disappointed. Although Riefenstahl marveled playfully about becoming a centenarian, she kept the discussion focused on her latest film, “Impressionen Unter Wasser” (“Impressions Under Water”), released in April in Germany. The silent film is a series of shorts of tranquil oceanic scenes. Riefenstahl became fascinated with sea life in her 70s, when she said she was 20 years younger in order to get certified as a scuba diver.

http://www.salon.com/2002/10/01/leni_riefenstahl/
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 4:10:32 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Yes, there exist those within every culture that are willing to "glorify" the character of particular individuals. I can "hardly" wait to see what and how "history" will attempt to glorify the disgusting acts of X-President G.W. Bush and his partner in, "crimes against humanity", V.P Cheney. Some attempts at documenting historical facts tend to take the preverbal "back-seat", when truth is involved. I have often compared this distinction to how the "American Justice System", can distinguish between the "blue-collar" and the "white-collared" criminals. Steal a loaf of bread, and if your black or dark skinned(in color) you can be sent to prison for 20 years. But if your white (in color) and can cause the collapse of the financial system (i.e. home mortgage's) you pay a fine (maybe) and are promoted to a higher paying position within the company. Yes, there was a book/play written about this, which is now a Broadway play & movie. So, my question to you all, what can and should we do? Peace my friends and, above all, keep da faith.....
nkelsey
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 6:14:13 PM

Neurons: 192,145
Reality doesn't interest me.

Leni Riefenstahl
Vicki Holzknecht
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 10:50:49 PM

Neurons: 61,514
I am far from a Nazi, but I have always enjoyed studying about them.