The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

obdurate Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,557
obdurate

(adjective) Hardened against feeling; hardhearted.

Synonyms: granitic, stony, flinty

Usage: The child's misery would move even the most obdurate heart.
walirlan
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 3:52:55 AM

Neurons: 253,078
1a : hardened in feelings especially against moral or mollifying influences : stubbornly persistent in wrongdoing

<that obdurate old sinner>

b : resistant to persuasion or softening influences : inflexible, unyielding

<obdurate in his determination>
<remaining obdurate to her husband's advances — Edith Wharton>

2: hard and resistant : harsh, rugged, rough

<wringing a livelihood from that obdurate soil>

Origin of OBDURATE

Middle English obdurat, from Latin obduratus, past participle of obdurare to harden, from ob- toward, over + durare to harden — more at ob-, dure

First Known Use: 15th century (sense 1a)

Synonyms:

affectless, callous, case-hardened, cold-blooded, compassionless, desensitized, hard-boiled, hard-hearted, heartless, indurate, inhuman, inhumane, insensate, insensitive, ironhearted, merciless, hard, pachydermatous, pitiless, remorseless, ruthless, slash-and-burn, soulless, stony (also stoney), stonyhearted, take-no-prisoners, thick-skinned, uncharitable, unfeeling, unmerciful, unsparing, unsympathetic

Antonyms:

charitable, compassionate, humane, kindhearted, kindly, merciful, sensitive, softhearted, sympathetic, tender, tenderhearted, warm, warmhearted

Related Words:

boorish, heedless, inconsiderate, thoughtless, uncaring, unfriendly, unloving, unthinking; grim, hard-bitten, harsh, heavy-handed, ironfisted, ironhanded, jackbooted, knock-down, drag-out (or knock-down-and-drag-out), oppressive, rough, rough-and-tumble, severe, sledgehammer, stern, tough, ungentle; abusive, acrimonious, disagreeable, hateful, ill-natured, ill-tempered, malevolent, malicious, mean, rancorous, spiteful, surly, virulent; barbarous, bestial, brutal, brutish, cruel, evil-minded, savage, vicious; austere, cold, frosty

Near Antonyms:

benevolent, benignant, gentle, kind; clement, indulgent, lenient, mild; cordial, friendly, good-natured, good-tempered, gracious; tolerant, understanding; affectionate, fond, loving
Franklyn Wesley
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 4:19:28 AM

Neurons: 7,175
Daemon wrote:
obdurate

i am curreently dating an obdurate gal
monamagda
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 6:19:26 AM

Neurons: 5,526,580
Notes: Writers have done a lot of experimentation with the noun from this adjective. Obduracy, obdurateness, and obduration have all been tried but obduracy seems to have emerged the favorite with obdurateness running a close second. You may also use this word as a verb if you pronounce it slightly differently: [ahb-dyê-rayt], that is, pronouncing the last syllable fully: "The treatment Cinderella received from her mom and stepsisters obdurated her against them forever."

In Play:
Today's Word tends to turn up in certain phrases, like obdurate heart and obdurate sinner: "Basil, you obdurate sinner, I just saw you dealing from the bottom of the deck!" However, obduracy does not have to refer to stubborn sinfulness: "Mildred, why do you so obdurately oppose my taking the checkbook when I go out with the guys?"

Word History:
Today's word comes from Late Latin obduratus, the past participle of obdurare "to harden," a verb based on the adjective durus "hard." Yes, the root of that word, dur-, is also visible in the English borrowings endure and durable. Durus was originally Proto-Indo-European *deru-/*doru- "solid, tree" which emerged as daru "wood" in Sanskrit, a word that devolved into Modern Hindi daru and Farsi (Modern Persian) dâr. Elsewhere the stem underwent liquid metathesis (the [r] and the vowel switched places) so that in Serbian it emerges as drevo "tree, wood" while in English it evolved into both tree and true. Druid, by the way, is probably a reduction of a Celtic compound *dru-wid- "strong seer," where wid is a relative of the root in video and vision.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/obdurate
Ragul Ragavendran
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 6:39:25 AM

Neurons: 479
Daemon wrote:
obdurate

RICHARD DALE INVENT THE WORD"QUIZ"
nkelsey
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 4:41:19 PM

Neurons: 192,145
Stubbornly refusing to change one’s opinion or course of action:
‘I argued this point with him, but he was obdurate’
Vicki Holzknecht
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 6:42:49 PM

Neurons: 61,514
I wish I was obdurate, so I wouldn't be susceptible to pain.
Locksmithy
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:03:41 AM

Neurons: 1,282
A possible synonym or related word:

psychopath n.

A person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or remorse.

(Psychiatry) a person afflicted with a personality disorder characterized by a tendency to commit antisocial and sometimes violent acts and a failure to feel guilt for such acts. Also called: sociopath

psychopathic adj.
psychopathically adv.
Fayme Rose
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:03:08 PM

Neurons: 320
I have a obdurate feeling about injustice against women of color and African descent.Think