The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him, I may think aloud. Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,639
A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him, I may think aloud.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
MechPebbles
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 2:32:20 AM

Neurons: 226,313
Yes, that's a true friend indeed. But probably a friendship marred by quarrels.
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 2:54:07 AM

Neurons: 596,642
MechPebbles wrote:
Yes, that's a true friend indeed. But probably a friendship marred by quarrels.

Inevitable, I'm afraid: a quarrel from time to time. But not too many quarrels; that would not be a good friendship, because so tiresome in the end.
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:11:00 AM

Neurons: 242,443
Yeah, only friends deserve sincerity and truth... Why is that? Is it too dangerous to lay sincerity upon a stranger?
moniquester
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:23:11 AM

Neurons: 87,227
It had better be a VERY GOOD friend, before whom one may think aloud!

Be the change you wish to see in the world!-Gandhi
walirlan
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:36:42 AM

Neurons: 253,078
You must be lucky to have such a friend!
fby_humz
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 7:31:48 AM

Neurons: 40,794
indeed...and such true friends are quiet few in this world...
Claudio Citrini
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:40:27 AM

Neurons: 2,911,319
I disagree. If you think something unpleasant or disappointing, you'd better be silent.
CoolSmooth
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 10:26:10 AM

Neurons: 404,478
Yes. A Friend is a Gift that You give to Yourself. Meaning that You Don't want to have someone that Doesn't have the Same Interests or Ideas. And You Should be able to be Honest in Any Relationship. Which is exactly that in a True Friendship. Without Honest & Truth in any Type of Human Relationships there is Nothing. Always use Tact.
morag mccloy
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 10:56:35 AM

Neurons: 1,210
A friend indeed. Such a person is as rare as a nugget of gold. If you find one, hang on to it, there are very few of them around. So many people refer to their "friends" when they should say acquaintances. True friends, in the true meaning of the word, are very hard to find so if you have one, you are greatly blessed.
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 11:45:03 AM

Neurons: 5,431,181
From Emerson's Essays - Number 6

Friendship:

"There are two elements that go to the composition of friendship, each so sovereign that I can detect no superiority in either, no reason why either should be first named. One is Truth. A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him I may think aloud. I am arrived at last in the presence of a man so real and equal, that I may drop even those undermost garments of dissimulation, courtesy, and second thought, which men never put off, and may deal with him with the simplicity and wholeness with which one chemical atom meets another....

The other element of friendship is tenderness. We are holden to men by every sort of tie, by blood, by pride, by fear, by hope, by lucre, by lust, by hate, by admiration, by every circumstance and badge and trifle, but we can scarce believe that so much character can subsist in another as to draw us by love. Can another be so blessed, and we so pure, that we can offer him tenderness? When a man becomes dear to me, I have touched the goal of fortune. I find very little written directly to the heart of this matter in books."

Read the essay is wonderful!!
http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/rwemerson/bl-rwemer-essays-6.htm
JUSTIN Excellence
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:32:33 PM

Neurons: 2,787
Daemon wrote:

Daemon wrote:
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.

monamagda wrote:
GABRIEL GARCIA MARQUES, In the prologue of his 'DOCE CUENTOS PEREGRINOS'(Strange Pilgrims)wrote about friendship:
"I dreamed I was attending my own funeral, walking with a group of friends dressed in solemn mourning but in a festive mood. We all seemed happy to be together. And I more than anyone else, because of the wonderful opportunity that death afforded me to be with my friends from Latin America, my oldest and dearest friends, the ones I had not seen for so long. At the end of the service, when they began to disperse, I attempted to leave too, but one of them made me see with decisive finality that as far as I was concerned, the party was over "You're the only one who can't go," he said. Only then did I understand that dying means never being with friends again.!

"Soñé que asistía a mi propio entierro, a pie, caminando entre un grupo de amigos vestidos de luto solemne, pero con un ánimo de fiesta. Todos parecíamos dichosos de estar juntos. Y yo más que nadie, por aquella grata oportunidad que me daba la muerte para estar con mis amigos de América Latina, los más antiguos, los más queridos, los que no veía desde hacía más tiempo. Al final de la ceremonia, cuando empezaron a irse, yo intenté acompañarlos, pero uno de ellos me hizo ver con una severidad terminante que para mí se había acabado la fiesta. «Eres el único que no puede irse», me dijo. Sólo entonces comprendí que morir es no estar nunca más con los amigos."

The best quotes already... What else I can say here?

"Whoever is in possession of a true friend, sees the exact counterpart of his own soul. In consequence of this moral resemblance between them, they are so intimately one, that no advantage can attend either, which does not equally communicate itself to both."
- Lucretius, Volume 12

über laboratorium dauernd zur Naturtreue
Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:51:51 PM

Neurons: 245,594
Daemon wrote:

Emerson discussed the composition of friendship, with the two sovereign elements in two particular long paragraphs of his essay,
strictly from his individual perspective-- as if no intercourse was expected of friendship, no reciprocity, and no affinity of the subjects.
He speaks only of "I".

But interestingly enough, he mentioned "affinity" no less than three times in paragraph 5, already, well before the "two elements that go to the composition
of friendship."

To understand the reason behind the lapse (if that's what it was) of putting affinity on equal sovereign footing with truth
and tenderness, one must read the entire essay. Towards the middle of it, "affinity" comes up again, quote:

"No two men but, being left alone with each other, enter into simpler relations. Yet it is affinity that determines which two shall converse. Unrelated men give little joy to each other; will never suspect the latent powers of each."

Perhaps affinity is the condition precedent, the presence of which will bring out the truth and tenderness of friendship.

monamagda
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:05:29 PM

Neurons: 5,431,181

JUSTIN Excellence wrote:
Daemon wrote:

Daemon wrote:
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.

monamagda wrote:
GABRIEL GARCIA MARQUES, In the prologue of his 'DOCE CUENTOS PEREGRINOS'(Strange Pilgrims)wrote about friendship:
"I dreamed I was attending my own funeral, walking with a group of friends dressed in solemn mourning but in a festive mood. We all seemed happy to be together. And I more than anyone else, because of the wonderful opportunity that death afforded me to be with my friends from Latin America, my oldest and dearest friends, the ones I had not seen for so long. At the end of the service, when they began to disperse, I attempted to leave too, but one of them made me see with decisive finality that as far as I was concerned, the party was over "You're the only one who can't go," he said. Only then did I understand that dying means never being with friends again.!

"Soñé que asistía a mi propio entierro, a pie, caminando entre un grupo de amigos vestidos de luto solemne, pero con un ánimo de fiesta. Todos parecíamos dichosos de estar juntos. Y yo más que nadie, por aquella grata oportunidad que me daba la muerte para estar con mis amigos de América Latina, los más antiguos, los más queridos, los que no veía desde hacía más tiempo. Al final de la ceremonia, cuando empezaron a irse, yo intenté acompañarlos, pero uno de ellos me hizo ver con una severidad terminante que para mí se había acabado la fiesta. «Eres el único que no puede irse», me dijo. Sólo entonces comprendí que morir es no estar nunca más con los amigos."

The best quotes already... What else I can say here?

"Whoever is in possession of a true friend, sees the exact counterpart of his own soul. In consequence of this moral resemblance between them, they are so intimately one, that no advantage can attend either, which does not equally communicate itself to both."
- Lucretius, Volume 12
DOUGLAS CAMPOS
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:14:54 PM

Neurons: 16,730
Applause Applause
Qazi M.Allaudin
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:17:02 PM

Neurons: 6,650
Why did he say "may be" ? Think

Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life. Joseph Edison
Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 7:59:41 PM

Qazi Mohammad Allaudin (Qazi) wrote:
Why did he say "may be" ? Think

Emerson indicated the possibility of his being sincere with a friend, not the uncertain or doubtful possibility of "maybe".

Your question is an indication of your being thoughtful about reading. And welcome to this forum!
Vicki Holzknecht
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 9:47:03 PM

Neurons: 61,514
Friends are rarities. I have very few to call "close" friends...
Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 11:27:25 PM

Vicki Holzknecht wrote:
Friends are rarities. I have very few to call "close" friends...

Precisely the point of Emerson's essay on Friendship: it is very exquisitely rare--but when friendship is present "close" is self-evident, redundant.
Qazi M.Allaudin
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 3:31:04 AM

Neurons: 6,650
Verbatim wrote:

Emerson indicated the possibility of his being sincere with a friend, not the uncertain or doubtful possibility of "maybe".

Your question is an indication of your being thoughtful about reading. And welcome to this forum!

Got it Verbatim. Thanks Drool

Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life. Joseph Edison
Fayme Rose
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 12:33:42 PM

Neurons: 320
I feel that my closest friend is often close to speaking with me almost able to complete my last words.
He is always thinking on the same wavelength as like a radio frequency that cues the heart....