The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

You can't depend on your judgment when your imagination is out of focus. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
You can't depend on your judgment when your imagination is out of focus.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)
moniquester
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:27:33 AM

Neurons: 87,227
Ah, Mark Twain, you were the ever-wise one! How true and to the point this saying is!!!

Be the change you wish to see in the world!-Gandhi
DoubleS
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:53:42 AM

Neurons: 43,188
I think it should b 'don't rely on your judgement' in this case,,, we CAN, but had better do not do it.
walirlan
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:00:08 AM

Neurons: 253,078
Very true!
Horato
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:07:10 AM

Neurons: 2,141
Can anyone explain it a little more?
DoubleS
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:37:28 AM

Neurons: 43,188
To Horato
I think he tried to say that>>> when u r lost, do not try to judge or believe what u have at that moment, hold on.
JUSTIN Excellence
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:15:18 AM

Neurons: 2,787

Civilization does not flourish until men have learned to exercise imagination over the forces of nature.

Justin

über laboratorium dauernd zur Naturtreue
AnjanaDutt
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:03:37 AM

Neurons: 12,437
When you make a judgment, is it not always based on imagination? You can make a judgment based on facts, is it not? I would tend to think that imagination is synonymous with being out of focus.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:07:52 AM

Neurons: 30,654

Imagined truth is not necessarily reality and in that case not a solid foundation from which one may exercise sound judgement.

"Now" is the eternal present.
Alenka
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:43:04 AM

Neurons: 183,010
But you never be sure that your judgement is correct. How can you be sure that your imagination isn't out of focus?
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:35:04 AM

Neurons: 254,408
Imagination is a vision in your mind, when vision blurred what judgment you can draw? It is temperamental at best...
Naveen Kumar Bhumandla
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 10:42:00 AM

Neurons: 28
It's true.we should not take any decisions when our mind is in disturbance mood.
MechPebbles
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:31:31 AM

Neurons: 226,313
I should hope my judgment has little to do with my imagination.
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:09:19 PM

Neurons: 350,106
Daemon wrote:
You can't depend on your judgment when your imagination is out of focus.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Restated: "If the Debt Money Power can manipulate your imagination by "stamping" it and "imprinting" it then your faulty "judgment" becomes dangerous - especially if it is sincerely held judgment based on nescience and/or ignorance.

“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
― Malcolm X

“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. ...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.”
― Edward L. Bernays, Propaganda

“Universal literacy was supposed to educate the common man to control his environment. Once he could read and write he would have a mind fit to rule. So ran the democratic doctrine. But instead of a mind, universal literacy has given him rubber stamps, rubber stamps inked with advertising slogans, with editorials, with published scientific data, with the trivialities of the tabloids and the platitudes of history, but quite innocent of original thought. Each man's rubber stamps are the duplicates of millions of others, so that when those millions are exposed to the same stimuli, all receive identical imprints. It may seem an exaggeration to say that the American public gets most of its ideas in this wholesale fashion. The mechanism by which ideas are disseminated on a large scale is propaganda, in the broad sense of an organized effort to spread a particular belief or doctrine.”
― Edward L. Bernays, Propaganda

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:12:10 PM

Neurons: 350,106
MechPebbles wrote:
I should hope my judgment has little to do with my imagination.

Exactly. It is based on the general grammar (relevant data) of a subject logically assembled such that no contradictions exist and logical fallacies are completely removed.

The result is best possible view of reality and then judgment proceeds from there.

The Trivium Method has been occulted from the masses - but it is the key to actually DISCERNING reality from special interest profit maximizing UNREALITY.

The Trivium Method - Gene Odening (entire) - what you should have been taught in school but weren't https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AszYrxtzNQE

If you have some more time, this is also excellent…

1) The Ultimate History Lesson: A Weekend with John Taylor Gatto (Intro + Hour 1 of 5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQiW_l848t8&list=PL463AA90FD04EC7A2

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
fby_humz
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:13:04 PM

Neurons: 40,794
I guess it means that our mind (JUDGMENT) should be in balance with our feelings(IMAGINATION)
Hermes
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:38:29 PM

Neurons: 8
I took this to mean what I think we know innately: our imagination (or intuition) comes first, our judgment second. The more expansive we can be in "tuning in" the more supple will be our mind and more wise our judgment.
Alexander Lo
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:37:06 PM

Neurons: 86,669
This is why Mr. Twain wore glasses; avoid out of focus.
Jding
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:05:56 PM

Neurons: 6,556
Can someone analyze the quote?
excaelis
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 9:42:35 AM

Neurons: 32,652
You can't make good judgments about a situation if you can't imagine the alternatives.

Sanity is not statistical
Absurdicuss
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 5:41:39 PM

Neurons: 30,654

Thanks Triv.

I watched the entire Gatto interview, and followed up with further presentations from Charlotte Iserbyt, in the same vein, including https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbEPjPXQKJE.

Once the eyes are opened one cannot responsibly slam the door shut on things seen. Sharing truth becomes an irresistible compulsion.

"Now" is the eternal present.