The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Mary Queen of Scots Is Deposed (1567) Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,442
Mary Queen of Scots Is Deposed (1567)

Mary Stuart was Queen of Scotland from 1542 to 1567. She was forced to abdicate the throne after her husband, Lord Darnley, was murdered and she was implicated in the plot. Mary then fled to England, where she faced a murder inquiry and became a prisoner of the English government. After conspiracies to put her on the throne of England were uncovered, she was tried for treason and ultimately beheaded. Some say her executioners asked for her forgiveness. What is she said to have replied? More...
LucOneOff
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 3:05:30 AM

Neurons: 696,826
The executioners (one named Bull and his assistant) knelt before her and asked forgiveness. She replied, "I forgive you with all my heart, for now, I hope, you shall make an end of all my troubles.
Bryn Kinnaird
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:09:02 AM

Neurons: 25,238
Accident of birth :( Royalty often live in luxury, bet they are glad we don't behead them anymore. Time we evolved and got rid of Monarchies.
curmudgeonine
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:52:34 AM

Neurons: 170,308
She replied, "I forgive you with all my heart, for now, I hope, you shall make an end of all my troubles."
Alexander Lo
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:34:38 PM

Neurons: 86,669
She said she will forgive the executioners; but I think she will not. It took two strikes to finish.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:26:38 PM

Neurons: 5,607,426
John Guy’s final words on Mary when he finishes his biography not with her death, but with her walking to her

“This was the moment. She had been the star of so many glittering spectacles during her life, beginning with her wedding to the Dauphin at Notre Dame when she was not yet sixteen, and she knew that she could keep her nerve. Her most compelling act of theatre awaited her. She stepped forward and crossed the threshold. The rest, whatever view is taken of the extent to which she truly ranks as a martyr for the Catholic faith and for the ideal of monarch, for ever settles her place in the pantheon of history as a fully realized tragic heroine.”6

Read more: http://www.elizabethfiles.com/the-execution-of-mary-queen-of-scots-8th-february-1587/4725/#ixzz38QoldxCm